RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

3.5hrs/$520 for hitch install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 01:10 PM
ShadowDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5hrs/$520 for hitch install?

Hello all,

This is only my second post here so be easy on me. :-)

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying my new flint mica RX330. It's a nice break from the S4, though it's not as fun to drive. No, I didn't get rid of the S4 for the 330!

So one thing disappointed me about my Lexus experience. I bought from Germain of Easton in Columbus, OH. They constantly barraged me with aftermarket add ons: chrome wheels, outerbody/underbody protection, extended warranties. I was really put off and left feeling I wasn't getting the best car I could have. What gives? Any of you get this treatment?

The dealer quoted me a price of $520 for the heavy-duty hitch including 3.5hrs of labor. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-13-04, 02:56 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL ShadowDoc! Thanks for joining us here - I hope your experience here will be a little more reflective of the "Lexus Experience" than yours with your dealer! First, as in any dealership the "accessories" are high-profit items, and in many conventional dealerships the salesmen are paid hefty commissions on tagging these accessories on to the sale. Some Lexus dealerships have not gotten the corporate message.

Lexus has invested a lot of money and effort in refining the dealer experience - treating Lexus customers as sentient beings rather than the "cattle" that most dealers simply herd through their showrooms. That's the reason I bought a Lexus the first time and it's what keeps me coming back. I had driven Suburbans for years, and finally I couldn't take being treated like some kind of rube by a flashy, fast-talking huckster. When I went in to close the (cash) deal, you'd think I was there to float a seven year loan on a used Metro. Service was "when we get to it", and questions were at best, ignored.

Very few, but some Lexus dealers - I suppose coming from a "volume discount" sales situation, treat their customers in the same way. I can assure you this is not the "Experience" in which Lexus is so heavily invested. If you feel uncomfortable with a particular dealer, ask around your neighborhood - see where other Lexus owners are getting their work done, and how they feel about the service. With the thousands of regular viewers of these forums here on CL, maybe we can be helpful too!

The $520 for a hitch seems excessive - unless they plan to do something other than bolt up the receiver. I’m not sure about the 330, but some 300’s came with a “trailer package” factory installed that consisted of some pre-wiring of the lights and a transmission cooler. That accounted for a range of prices to mount a hitch – if you already had the package, the hitch was bolted up and the final wiring completed. If not, the procedure was a little more complex.

It’s possible that your dealer is planning a more involved procedure than bolting on a hitch. Just to be sure, get some prices from other dealers – and ask what the work involves. Good luck!

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-13-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 04:07 PM
LexNatural
Driver School Candidate

I just got a bid for the hitch alone from my selling dealer. $260
I did not ask about the installation price as I was planning on doing it myself.
I have the "trailer towing" package which is the extra lighting harness in the rear, higher capacity alternator and larger radiator.

From looking at the other posts on this site about the hitch I believe that you must access the area under the rear cargo area to connect the lights. This requires removal of some of the interior pieces.

You must also remove the towing hooks and bolt up the hitch to those locations.

I seems that you said that the estimate included the hitch and installation. So, $520-260 leaves $260 for the installation. That is about $74/hour labor rate. Probably nominal in my area for Lexus dealer work.

I say go for it
Old 08-13-04, 04:38 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 3.5hrs/$520 for hitch install?

Originally posted by ShadowDoc

So one thing disappointed me about my Lexus experience. I bought from Germain of Easton in Columbus, OH. They constantly barraged me with aftermarket add ons: chrome wheels, outerbody/underbody protection, extended warranties. I was really put off and left feeling I wasn't getting the best car I could have. What gives? Any of you get this treatment?

The dealer quoted me a price of $520 for the heavy-duty hitch including 3.5hrs of labor. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Bill
My Lexus dealer did try to sell some add-ons like chrome wheels and extended warranty, but not aggressively. I just said no and they stopped. So it did not sour the sales experience.

$520 seems reasonable for both parts and labor. Does it include a transmission cooler? If not, you may need to change the ATF everytime after you tow something.
Old 08-13-04, 07:40 PM
stllex88
Driver

My dealer did not attempt to add any extras. They did not pack the vehicle, push the extended warranty or anything like that. They did congratulate me on the purchase of an exceptional vehicle and profusely thanked me for choosing them. They even provided all weather mats and cargo liner. If there is another dealer you can visit, you might find the experience different. I can't speak to service as I have not even had my 1K service yet! I can't speak to installation of a hitch. I would ask the dealer to detail the charges - parts/labor to understand the true cost.
Old 08-14-04, 12:07 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my advice is to go to your local u-haul they sell and install drawtite {drawtite ownes reese}products they can install the hitch tranny cooler and necessary wiring for iam for about the $250 so give them a try !!!
Old 08-14-04, 12:08 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The U-Haul Drawtite is ugly, can lower the vehicle's resale value , and probably won't fit on the RX330. The hitch bar needs a special "bend" to go around the muffler on the RX330.
Old 08-14-04, 03:53 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
The U-Haul Drawtite is ugly, can lower the vehicle's resale value , and probably won't fit on the RX330. The hitch bar needs a special "bend" to go around the muffler on the RX330.
a draw tite hitch will not decrease the value of the car yes it will fit they are not universal they are made for your vechicle
Old 08-15-04, 01:44 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3.5hrs/$520 for hitch install?

Originally posted by ShadowDoc

I don't know if the hitch quote is reasonable or not, but I wanted to let you know that I purchased both my RX and SC at Lexus Easton and had a great experience with each.

I have known the Sales Manager there for several years and have also referred my parents and business associates to that dealership. Everyone that I have worked with has been great... sales, service, reception, support staff, etc. Maybe you just had a fluke of a bad experience? If you continue to have trouble at the dealership level, I'd encourage you to call John Roessler, the Sales Manager. I'm sure he'd help you resolve whatever the issue is.

Best of luck.