RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Performance/Sport Pkg and Adaptive Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 01:44 PM
user 7082972
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/Sport Pkg and Adaptive Headlights

Hi,

I am trying to decide if I should get the sport package or not and am trying to get some feedback/comments from anyone. Is the sport package i.e. (18" rim, hydraulic suspension and adaptive (AFS) headlights worth it? My dealer is telling me that the sport package does not really worth the $ i.e. the AFS and the hydraulic suspension is something you would rarely get the benefit (with the AFS, he told me it has pros and cons and may not always as useful especially when you want to look straight when turning a bent) of it and thus they recommend me to go with the premium package. I 've test drived a "sport pkg" loaded 04 RX330 back to back with a "premium loaded" one and cannot find any improvement in handling with the sport (18" rim and sport suspension)... and therefore doubting if I should spend the extra $$$ I am currently very inclined to go with the premium pkg.

By the way the dealer here (Canada/Toronto), I've negotiated with them and get them to knock off approx $4000 off msrp.. is this a reasonably good deal?

Any comments are welcome!
Old 08-24-04, 03:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the RX330 is equipped with projector beam HIDs, it does not provide the peripheral visibility like the RX300's HID. Therefore I think the AFS may be a necessity.

Hydraulic suspension is just another tech gadget. It lowers the vehicle about half an inch at highway speed, and can lower another half inch to easy egress. IMO I agree with your dealer that this may be a waste of money because the RX is easy to get in and out as is.

My test drive experience with sports pkg is that the ride quality is messed up a bit, without improvement in handling. The 18" Michelin tires are much better than the base Goodyear crap. Something to keep in mind.
Old 08-25-04, 09:10 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not had mine for very long, but I love the headlights and the way they follow around in a turn, not just Jee-Wiz it actually works very well.

The Perf. Package is nice to in that you can set the suspension down lower while you are at highway speeds for a better feel of the car---the one nice feature too is it is auto-leveling as if you have a lot of weight in the back----your normal car will have a very squatted look in the rear with the front riding high

----WELL the air suspension will level your car out for you IE: raise the back up to match the front ect....

Also, I liked the fact that I got a leather shift **** and the all leather steering wheel....Plus the Polished graphite rims (Sweet)

Like I said, I have not had it for long, but so far I like what I see! Plus they made very few of the performance packages, which will make your car unique. I would schedule a test drive at night with your dealer and check out the headlights for sure....