RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Picking up new RX330 tomorrow - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 06:17 PM
sherylking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up new RX330 tomorrow - any advice?

I'm picking up my new RX330 tomorrow. Is there anything I should look for? Ask the dealer? Demand? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 09-29-04, 02:03 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new RX330. My sister has one and it's an awesome vehicle. The Lexus dealerships are pretty thorough with providing you with all the information you'll need. The salesperson should explain all the functions of the car and equipment. I'd check to make sure the vehicle is exactly how you ordered it with all the options. Make sure you get all the manuals and extra key along with the credit card key. The salesperson should introduce you to a service center rep, ask for his card. I'd bring someone along to help give the exterior a once over and check for chips or scratches in the paint. Even if you don't find anything wrong with the paint ask for a bottle of touch-up paint (my salesman gave it to me for free). Check to make sure all the mats are accounted for and that the rear package cover is in place. Check the numbers and make sure everything adds up. Don't get suckered into buying the window etching or paint sealant. I repeat, DO NOT get suckered into buying the window etching or paint sealant. I had a friend recently buy this "extra" for his Acura TL and I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a scam. The first time I saw his car I asked him when he was planning on waxing it and he told me that he was bringing it in the next week to get the "premium" teflon protectant and the dealer told him that he wouldn't need to wax the car for 5 years. LOL. I told him it might be a good idea to wax the car periodically, "just in case."

One last thing...take the long way home.

Last edited by SDLexus; 09-29-04 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 04:28 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to CL sherylking - and congratulations on that new RX!

SDLexus is right, check your new baby over carefully and let the salesperson explain all of the features. You'll get an owner's manual that looks like a telephone directory with your car, but although it's complete, it could often be clearer. Ask questions and take notes if you can. Don't fall for the add-ons, but maybe now's a good time to ask your salesperson about a cargo net or front window tint that they might throw in, or at least offer at a friendly price. You'll probably be introduced to your service advisor - who can help you with any initial questions about service issues - scheduled maintenance, and the like.

Register your new car at the Lexus.com site. You'll be able to access a searchable database of your owner's manual online. Enter your Serial Number, dealer, etc. as requested. Now when you visit the Lexus site you will have access to that database. Go to "Owners" and log in, click on "My Garage" and then click on "Owners Manual" under the Serial Number and other info you entered when you registered. That can be a big help when searching for a specific issue. Reading that manual is a good idea, but be prepared for a mind-numbing experience.

When you have additional questions, check this forum using that "Advanced Search" button you see at the upper left of these screens. There are literally years of experience archived here, the combined experience of some 30,000 Lexus owners. If you can't find what you want, you've come to the right place - if we can't help, at least we can comiserate with you.

Again, Welcome to CL!
Old 09-29-04, 06:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Congratulations.

You might want to check that your sunroof opens and closes with a single button touch. If you have to hold the button depressed then it has not been initialized. Mine was not and several others have reported this as well. Also, check that your rear door opens and closes with the button on the key. This also is sometimes overlooked in the initial vehicle set-up. For some of the options that you can have set, do a search for "C-Best" here on the forum.

While I see you are from CA, if you plan on driving your Lexus in a wintery mix of snow, slush and salt, you might want to consider buying the All-Weather floor mats.

One last thing I might add is that Lexus sells the best leather cleaner and conditioner I have ever used. I'd get a bottle of each before I left the dealership. If you have light colored leather you will be prepared to keep it clean and supple. Your leather normally should be treated at least every quarter and more frequently in hot weather or if it ever becomes soiled.

Again, congratulations and enjoy your new Lexus.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-29-04 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 09:16 AM
tsings31
Driver School Candidate

I can't really add anything more to the advice that you've been given.

All I can say is congratulations and enjoy your new Lexus!! It's a great experience.

Last edited by tsings31; 09-29-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 12:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase!
Old 09-29-04, 03:54 PM
Fat Cat
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you check the tire pressure to ensure they are not over-inflated!! Congrats on your new purchase!!

Last edited by Fat Cat; 09-29-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 05:17 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

Concur with Fat Cat! My tires were way over-inflated to where it affected the ride.

Cole
Old 09-30-04, 04:40 PM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my wife one of these last week..
She really likes it over the RX300....

Breakwater Blue with NAV... and those 18" wheels are sweet...!!
Of course she doesn't care.. :-)
Old 09-30-04, 09:54 PM
sherylking
Driver School Candidate

Default I got it!

I picked it up this afternoon. Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

Re the inflation of the tires, when I asked about it, they said it should be 35 psi and that an indicator on the dashboard will tell me if they're different from that. Does that agree with your info?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-04, 04:27 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Old 10-01-04, 02:07 PM
jcg
Rookie

Default sherylking - tire pressure

If your new RX has 18" tires you might have been told wrong re tire pressure.

Look on the right side of the drivers door frame and you will fine a sticker stating what the pressure should be. Mine says 30 PSI and not 35.

Also, the tire indicator on the dash will not tell you if the pressure varies from 35 PSI. It will tell you when one tire is different from the others. Other words, if you have 20 PSI in all 4 tires you will get no dash indicator light even thought this is BAD. I you have 30 PSI in 3 tires and 20 in one tire you should get the dash light. This is sensed by your ABS brake system. It can check your tire rotation. If one tire is softer or much harder (over inflated) than the others it will either rotate more or less than the other tires. This difference in rotation is what turns on the tire indicator on the dash.

Good luck with your new RX.
Old 10-01-04, 03:34 PM
sherylking
Driver School Candidate

I absolutely WAS told the wrong tire pressure! Thank you so much. The sticker on the door says 30 psi, while I was told 35 psi. I'm going to the gas station right away and have that checked. LexusClub is great!
Old 10-01-04, 08:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Nothing wrong with filling the tires to 35psi cold. The factory specs are there to maintain ride comfort. 35psi will not hurt or damage your tires. It will probably be beneficial to the tire wear and gas mileage if you do alot of fwy driving. Good luck.