RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HID theft on the RX330

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 08:35 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID theft on the RX330

So it started with the Audi A4's, and moved onto the Maximas....

now the RX330 is next on the list...

my neighbor's 04 RX 330 just had it's HIDs taken in Queens, NY...right in their driveway--clean rip out as well-very little damage

I assume then that the RX HIDs are held in by two bolts or something up top, with nothing holding it from the bumper. (just like the maximas-takes 5 seconds to pop out)

Anyone else had theirs taken? I'm somewhat worried as I got an RX 330 loaner while my GS400 is at Lexus getting serviced. I also think I want to trade my 99 Pathfinder in for one, but also afraid about the headlights.

Last edited by NT2SHBBY; 10-07-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:34 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently received a letter from the Anti Theft Crime Prevention Unit of the local police precint. The letter states that there is a high number of reported HID thefts of Lexus vehicles. They are doing everything they can to curtail the high theft rates.

Just great...

Last edited by Nept_Mica; 10-07-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:42 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Nept_Mica
I recently received a letter from the Anti Theft Crime Prevention Unit of the local police precint. The letter states that there is a high number of reported HID thefts of Lexus vehicles. They are doing everything they can to curtail the high theft rates.

Just great...
the cops said the brush guard ( I call it a cow pusher) will protect against them. I'm not worried much because at lunch I drove home to see if the RX would fit in the garage and to my delight it does, so that's fine. But if I get this in addition to my GS, I'm going to need to park it on the street, so I might have to invest in one.

damn thieves, get a job!
Old 10-07-04, 03:45 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about Audis. Old Acura HIDs were the most popular because they fit perfectly on the previous generation Accords. My friend also had his HID stolen from his Maxima in Queens.

Brush/grille guard won't protect the headlights because it can be removed in one minute. The upper part is usually secured by just 4 or 6 sets of bolts and nuts.

Don't worry about things you can't control. If your HID gets stolen, file a claim with the insurance company and get it fixed. Then move on with life.

Those thieves just might have jobs with local tuner shops that sell HID upgrades.
Old 10-07-04, 06:31 PM
wonjoon
Banned

What a coincident I happen to see a RX without HID head lights.
I was on my to work on 6th of Oct, when I noticed Silver RX330 parked on street in Flushing New York.
On Roosevelt Ave, Flushing NY, HID light were gone. I was shocked seeing a car as nice, luxury as Lexus RX, light was stolen. It just hurts to look at the car. I wonder how the owner feels.
Also, it's gonna cost to get a new pair of HID head lights.
Old 10-08-04, 04:11 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Not sure about Audis. Old Acura HIDs were the most popular because they fit perfectly on the previous generation Accords. My friend also had his HID stolen from his Maxima in Queens.

Brush/grille guard won't protect the headlights because it can be removed in one minute. The upper part is usually secured by just 4 or 6 sets of bolts and nuts.

Don't worry about things you can't control. If your HID gets stolen, file a claim with the insurance company and get it fixed. Then move on with life.

Those thieves just might have jobs with local tuner shops that sell HID upgrades.
yeah well thats all fine and dandy if they are taken at let's say the mall.....but what if they take em in your driveway....now they got your HIDs and they know where you live. So now you can have em replaced, great....but now since they know where you live they can come back and get em again.

Now how many times can they be taken before your insurance co drops you for all the claims. If you lease it, you can't turn it in early and if you bought it then you lose on depreciation.

It sux that you can't enjoy somethin nice in this world without the fear of some other jealous bastard wanting to take it from you.

sorry..end of rant guys
Old 10-08-04, 07:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

So are there any obvious ways to deter this theft? I don't mean by keeping your car locked in a garage. Can the mounting screws or bolts be replaced with different ones that only can be removed with a special tool or a square or star head driver? Alarm system to detect this specific method of tampering with the headlights?

Lexus... Any help from the Lexus engineers?

Where are these HID units winding up? What is the market for them that encourages their theft? What are the thieves doing to get them out? What is damaged in the process?
Old 10-08-04, 09:40 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

The stolen HIDs usually end up being resold by rough tuner shops that sell HID upgrades. If a customer walks in and wants HID, they'll say it's temporarily out of stock and ask the customer to come back in 3 days. By then they'll have an HID "special ordered" and "in stock."

If you worry about it, you can try VIN etching. Probably won't keep it from being stolen in the dark, but you can keep it from being resold and deter future "re-visits" to your driveway. You can buy VIN etching kit at most auto stores.

Damage can vary. A pro thief will do little damage, an amateur will cut wires left and right and leave a mess behind. (According to the cop, my friend's Maxima was done by an amateur - total damage $2,800!)

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 10-08-04 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 10:39 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jfelbab
So are there any obvious ways to deter this theft? I don't mean by keeping your car locked in a garage. Can the mounting screws or bolts be replaced with different ones that only can be removed with a special tool or a square or star head driver? Alarm system to detect this specific method of tampering with the headlights?

Lexus... Any help from the Lexus engineers?

Where are these HID units winding up? What is the market for them that encourages their theft? What are the thieves doing to get them out? What is damaged in the process?
they tried that on the maxima-I had them on my 2k3 with HIDs.....all that means is-a thief takes a crowbar and bam...they are gone

total bull**** if u ask me

at least on my GS the headlights are secured below the bumper as well
Old 10-09-04, 12:16 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like if I ever have HIDs in my car here in Queens I need to protect my car and my house.
Old 10-09-04, 08:59 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Just don't park it overnight outside. I never quite understand why people put worthless junks in the garage and let their $40,000 vehicle sit outside.
Old 10-09-04, 11:08 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Unbelieveable...
Old 10-12-04, 01:34 PM
LexFather

Well the reason they were also so easily stolen out of ACuras and the Maximas were
1. Cheap. Their HIDs are cheap
2. Cheaply built. The whole unit is held together by 2 bolts.
3. Standard. They are easy to pick out and steal since they were standard. So thieves know EVERY CL/TL and Maxima had HIDs.

With Lexus, the headlights are held together by many more bolts. I think 5 or more. Not to mention, they are not STANDARD on the RX. So a theif would have to get lucky or follow a HID equipped RX to know it's the one to steal.
And with Lexus, ALL HIDs have the auto-self leveling system and the new LS and RX have the swiveling HIDs. Useless to most theives.

HID theft can occur but not anywhere as common as the ACuras or MAxima.
Old 10-12-04, 02:04 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the reason they were also so easily stolen out of ACuras and the Maximas were
1. Cheap. Their HIDs are cheap
2. Cheaply built. The whole unit is held together by 2 bolts.
3. Standard. They are easy to pick out and steal since they were standard. So thieves know EVERY CL/TL and Maxima had HIDs.

With Lexus, the headlights are held together by many more bolts. I think 5 or more. Not to mention, they are not STANDARD on the RX. So a theif would have to get lucky or follow a HID equipped RX to know it's the one to steal.
And with Lexus, ALL HIDs have the auto-self leveling system and the new LS and RX have the swiveling HIDs. Useless to most theives.

HID theft can occur but not anywhere as common as the ACuras or MAxima.
thAnks for chiming in Mike

went to go looka these yesterday to replace my 4runner

and after reading about the trans problems and now this kinda thinking something else
Old 10-13-04, 05:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two different reasons why thieves want HID headlights. First reason is for OEM replacement. When someone gets into an accident or has their HIDs stolen, they see the price of replacement parts and see you can get a reaplcement on ebay for $150. Which part do you think they will buy? The other reason is for HID retrofits. They don't care about the actual headlight. They want the HID projector, and also the OEM D2S/D2R HID bulbs and ballast to either retrofit in their own cars or sell to others who want to retrofit them in their cars. In many cases the reflector style D2R HID found on many Lexus cars and even Acura cars are not that popular. You will find that cars that have the projector HIDs like the newer RX330, S2000, BMWs, Audis, and such are much more popular amongst theives. Theives don't care what car it comes from. They are looking for what parts sell. Right now projector D2S sells. Since all headlight mounting points on the cars are plastic, they know it doesn't matter how it is mounted as a crowbar will remove it in a matter of seconds. Just stick the crowbar in, pry our and the mounts will all break. The reason why the Acura CL/TL and Maxima's has lots of press is because generally many of those cars were parked on the street or in peoples driveways. Maximas especially since their are a lot of them and not all of them are in covered garages since many younger buyers own them. Also, the Acur CL/TL headlights have mounting points on the bottom as well. Just looking at pictures on ebay you can clearly see 2 on top and a couple on the bottom.

It is easy to tell if a car has HIDs simply by looking at the headlight. Especially in the RX330 where the HIDs are projectors and the non HIDs are still refelctor style headlights.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 10-13-04 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: HID theft on the RX330