RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RSES Navigation on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 11:00 AM
bdar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSES Navigation on RX330

I think I read it in the newsgroup somewhere. But, is it true that the screen is blocking your rearview mirror when you play it? Also, is it worth it $1,800? Should I get the portable one? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-12-04, 04:53 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post RSES utility

I took the RSES option when the 330 was first introduced. It made sense for me to be able to demo SVCDs and DVDs for my prospective clients in the car. For 99 out of 100 owners though, the RSES makes NO sense as far better DVD entertainment systems are available in the aftermarket now for half the price. The rear screen of the RSES is LOUSY - inexcusible for $1800!

The Nav option, if you regularly drive to unfamilar destinations is indispensible, IMHO.
Old 11-13-04, 04:03 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: RSES utility

Originally posted by Lil4X
The Nav option, if you regularly drive to unfamilar destinations is indispensible, IMHO.
Totally agree. Especially when cops close the main highway and force drivers to find another way on their own.

The problem is that other drivers seem to know that I have Nav, and just follow me on the maze-like secondary roads. Maybe I should pull over and charge them for following me.
Old 11-16-04, 05:31 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

It does block the rear view mirror somewhat but not that bad since it's only a 7" screen. I've seen other cars with 10" screens and larger which probably blocks out the whole rear view.

As far as quality, I think it's comparable to other LCD screens. Its definitely not HD but for the kids and anyone else back there its fine. I also like the fact that you can display the movie on the front NAV screen when you're parked and emergency brake engaged. I've seen some threads on people trying to bypass the brake safety feature so they can watch while driving. Don't know if they were successful but definitely not recommended!

As far as the price, $1800 is the MSRP. I think cost is about $1200 but you can usually get a pretty good deal on the whole car. The MSRP for my FWD RX330 was almost $47K with the Mark Levinson/Nav Package/RSES. I paid about $42K out the door. I've seen others get even better deals. So I consider the RSES as part of the whole package deal

There are better aftermarket DVD systems but I like the fact the the RSES is factory installed and is covered under the Lexus warranty. We've been completely satisfied with it. In fact, on long drives my wife tries to get away with sitting back there so she can watch movies with the kids!

Cole
Old 11-18-04, 12:03 PM
bdar
Driver

Originally posted by ColeRX
It does block the rear view mirror somewhat but not that bad since it's only a 7" screen. I've seen other cars with 10" screens and larger which probably blocks out the whole rear view.

As far as quality, I think it's comparable to other LCD screens. Its definitely not HD but for the kids and anyone else back there its fine. I also like the fact that you can display the movie on the front NAV screen when you're parked and emergency brake engaged. I've seen some threads on people trying to bypass the brake safety feature so they can watch while driving. Don't know if they were successful but definitely not recommended!

As far as the price, $1800 is the MSRP. I think cost is about $1200 but you can usually get a pretty good deal on the whole car. The MSRP for my FWD RX330 was almost $47K with the Mark Levinson/Nav Package/RSES. I paid about $42K out the door. I've seen others get even better deals. So I consider the RSES as part of the whole package deal

There are better aftermarket DVD systems but I like the fact the the RSES is factory installed and is covered under the Lexus warranty. We've been completely satisfied with it. In fact, on long drives my wife tries to get away with sitting back there so she can watch movies with the kids!

Cole
Hi ColeRX, where do you buy your RX from? I live in Bay Area.
Old 11-18-04, 05:36 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

I live in San Diego and bought the RX330 from Bob Baker Lexus in El Cajon (about 20 miles east of SD)

Cole