RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

300--------->330...........How was it????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04 | 10:07 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default 300--------->330...........How was it????

i know many of u up-graded from a 300 to a 330. Im thinking of this for quite some time now. But still have no definite answer because i think the 2 are too samiliar to me. I driven and rode in the 330 numerous times, and despite its good and new stuff, i dont feel the 330 is any faster than the 300 or is it much better too. I know it must be better and faster because its new, so please for those of u who traded the 300 for the 330, what are your thoughts!!! Thank you very much.
Old 11-22-04 | 02:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

The main difference is the larger displacement engine with a bit more horsepower & even more importantly.....more torque (210 HP / 220 lb ft torque on ES 300 VS. 225HP & 240 lb ft torque on ES 330). There are other 'tweaks' here & there to be sure. Performance numbers should be fairly close for the RX 300 & 330 respectively as it's basicly the same powertrain. The performance difference won't be earth shattering......but it should be quite noticable. I'm pretty sure I will replace my current 01 ES when the time comes several years from now with a 2005 ES 330.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 11-22-04 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-22-04 | 02:16 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

OF COURSE i know that, but those are just numbers.............

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
The main difference is the larger displacement engine with a bit more horsepower & even more importantly.....more torque (210 HP / 220 lb ft torque on ES 300 VS. 225HP & 240 lb ft torque on ES 330). There are other 'tweaks' here & there to be sure. ...
Old 11-22-04 | 05:21 AM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Default RX300---------330?

It would take quite a chunk of vanity PLUS $15,000-$25,000 AND my RX300 to be riding around in an '05 RX330! They're nice-looking but not worth the difference in monetary value. The rear end still looks weird to me.
Old 11-22-04 | 06:42 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

My understanding is all the RX330 are built in North America, the RX300s were built in Japan. I remember upgrading old Camry (Japan built) to a newer Camry (NA built), I the new one had lots of flaws when you examied the exterior and interior finishings. I am happy with my RX300.
Old 11-22-04 | 10:28 AM
jcg
Rookie

Default 300 to 330

I went from an RX300 (2000) to a RX330 (2004) . I have had the 330 for about a year.

The following are my OPINIONS.

I believe that the Canadian made RX's go to the east and from Japan to the west. I don't know where the geographical cross over is but they are still make in both countries. I really believe that the quality in my 2004 Canadian made is every bit as good as the 2000 that was made in Japan

While the vehical is a little longer than the 2000 it feels like the same size as the 2000.
It has a few more bells and whistles - some worthless - like the head light washers.
It has a little more pep than the old one.
The HID headlights I dislike. Their cut off point for light is very sharp and with just low beams on if you are doing 40 MPH or higher you could not stop in time if something pops up in front of you. With highbeams on that is not a problem.
I find the engine to be noisier under exceleration than the 2000 to the point that I feel the vehicle is laboring while excelerating. After a year I still am not used to this.
The rear wiper is useless as it doesn't exert enough pressure against the glass and it ends up just smearing the window. But, I understand that there is a fix for this.

The transmission!!! When coasting down to a stop I hear a faint clunking noise. Also, at certain times such as entering an expressway and I goose it when doing about 25MPH the xmission seems to shift between gears a few times before taking off. For the 1 or 2 seconds that it does this the vechicle jerks like crazy to the point of embarrassment if there are people with me.

Sounds like I dislike the car - but I don't. I do enjoy it. I just feel that when paying so high a price that there should not be problems that wern't in my 4 year older car.

No matter what you decide, good luck.
Old 11-22-04 | 04:36 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Default Re: 300 to 330

Originally posted by jcg
I went from an RX300 (2000) to a RX330 (2004) . I have had the 330 for about a year.

I believe that the Canadian made RX's go to the east and from Japan to the west. I don't know where the geographical cross over is but they are still make in both countries. I really believe that the quality in my 2004 Canadian made is every bit as good as the 2000 that was made in Japan

While the vehical is a little longer than the 2000 it feels like the same size as the 2000.
It has a few more bells and whistles - some worthless - like the head light washers.
It has a little more pep than the old one.
The HID headlights I dislike. Their cut off point for light is very sharp and with just low beams on if you are doing 40 MPH or higher you could not stop in time if something pops up in front of you. With highbeams on that is not a problem.
I find the engine to be noisier under exceleration than the 2000 to the point that I feel the vehicle is laboring while excelerating. After a year I still am not used to this.
The rear wiper is useless as it doesn't exert enough pressure against the glass and it ends up just smearing the window. But, I understand that there is a fix for this.

The transmission!!! When coasting down to a stop I hear a faint clunking noise. Also, at certain times such as entering an expressway and I goose it when doing about 25MPH the xmission seems to shift between gears a few times before taking off. For the 1 or 2 seconds that it does this the vechicle jerks like crazy to the point of embarrassment if there are people with me.

Sounds like I dislike the car - but I don't. I do enjoy it. I just feel that when paying so high a price that there should not be problems that wern't in my 4 year older car.

No matter what you decide, good luck.
This is my first post after lurking for a couple months. The problem you have with the Hids is because they come from the factory aimed too low-at the bottom of the spec range. One of the first things I did with my RX330 is take it back to have the aim raised. This makes a world of difference and, no, I don't get flashed by other drivers.
Old 11-22-04 | 05:58 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

finally.............a post im looking for. Thank you very much. I agree with the loud engine noise u are saying, but i thought its a nice loud sports car like noise. Unlike my 300, the 330 seems to have a louder sportier note which i like. I loved the soft nice leather in the 330 and the seats seem better and more solid than my 300. Im sure the 330 is a little better in everything, but the little ones dont add up to a change that im willing to do just yet. I think the single biggest reason that i want a 330 its because my 300 doesnt have NAV and TV, which can be resolved if i jump to a 330. But that has nothing to do with the car itself.

Originally posted by jcg

I believe that the Canadian ............
Old 11-22-04 | 07:31 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Default Re: 300--------->330...........How was it????

Originally posted by JohnsRX-
I know it must be better and faster because its new, so please for those of u who traded the 300 for the 330, what are your thoughts!!!
I've owned both an '00 RX 300 and a '04 RX 330. Performance-wise, the two are similar with a slight edge going to the 330 because of improved mid-range torque and longer WB contributing to slightly improved handling (with the 18" rim option). As far as handling is concerned, the 330 with the 18’s is more settled, more steady when set up for a fast sweeper. Imagine an SUV that has you unconsciously shooting apexes! Ride is similar, although I believe again the longer WB makes the 330 a bit smoother - but the 18's while they contribute to the steady handling, degrade the ride by a similar amount, particularly over washboard surfaces.

On the basis of features, the 330 has taken the 300 and gone back for a second helping of luxury. This is the largest single improvement in the vehicle - the tactile sensation of smoothness is even more refined than it was in the 300. While the 300 is a great compromise between luxury and utility, the 330, IMHO just "feels" better. I agree, some of the features are largely a waste of money. The HIDs, while good do not outperform the standard lighting system significantly. The ML audio is similarly good, but hardly worth the cost. The headlight washers are pure overkill, and the RSES, as I've said before, is disappointing.

Now, on the good side; the Brake Assist, coupled with the EBD, ABS, and VSC is simply put, outstanding. Smooth and non-intrusive, they work together in the background altogether transparently. The Navigation system is very useful and although it is occasionally fooled, it is reliable – allowing you to take an occasional back road without fear. The wood wheel and shifter are gorgeous and a real touch of elegance.

Which is the better value? I agree with Bowtie here - the choice between the two would be difficult, but a savings of $15K can't be overlooked. Is the 330 worth it? To me there was no choice - the lease expired. If I had owned that 300, I'd probably be driving it for a few years longer. I honestly believe a carefully used and maintained "pre-owned" RX 300 is the deal of the century.

All that said, the RX 300 or 330 is not and never will be a “performance” car. It is a utility vehicle that comes into its own when hauling two adults and maybe a couple of kids on a long road trip. It is smooth, secure, and comfortable with a reasonable but not excessive turn of speed. Handling is outstanding for an SUV, but still not quite up to the standards of an all-out touring car. If you had to have a single vehicle as a daily driver that is more than capable in almost any role, this is the one.

If, on the other hand your ego has to have a pavement-ripping performance car that will turn heads wherever it goes, there are other purveyors of boy racers and mid-life crisis-mobiles.
Old 11-22-04 | 08:28 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Difference between 300/330

I drive a 2001 RX300. And the few times it was in the shop for warranty work. I would get a RX330 as a loaner. The first thing I noticed was its a little faster. And the brakes were a little better. But besides that I didnt like it. The interior doesnt seem as nice. Except for the drivers seat goes farther back. I drive mine with the sunroof open most of the time. And with the 330 it has a lot more noise. I did like that it parks easier. But when driving and changing lanes. It is very hard to see with the smaller back windows. Plus the rear end still looks strange to me.

The only thing I would like to put on mine are the lighted " LEXUS " door sills.
Old 11-22-04 | 10:09 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: 300--------->330...........How was it????

thank u very much for ur input, i think i just might live with my 300 a little longer then.

Originally posted by Lil4X
I've owned both an '00 RX 300 and a '04 RX 330. ...........
Old 11-22-04 | 11:25 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I wonder if the new 330 has any problems with engine gelling or perhaps the model is too new to know about it yet?
Old 11-23-04 | 02:18 AM
rl9905
Driver

Hmmmm What about

RX300/330 ---------> RX400h?????

I cant' wait.... the feeling must be very different because RX400h is CVT while current RX300/330 is VVT-i. Only one way to find out, Just wait till it comes out

I have a 2000 RX300, I'm planning to go to RX400h when it comes out. Already have my deposit on it long time ago.
Old 11-23-04 | 08:12 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Both the 300 and the 330 are excellent cars. They're all well-made, ride great, safe to ride in, and full of creature comforts.
Is the 330 worth the extra cash? That's up to you...

Things I like about the 330 over the 300 (that I actually use):
- Better gas mileage (most noticable on the highway) despite the bigger engine
- The body style (yes, I like it)
- Power rear door with wireless control
- The LCD screen for the navigation system is a little bit bigger
- Rear-view camera
- Speed-sensitive brake assist is a good thing, once you get used to it
- The headlight washers (great in the winter in my "let's salt the road to death" climate)
- Fully-adjustable seat heaters (it's a turning ****, as opposed to a "high/low/off" rocker switch)
- Seat heaters warm the lower back as well as the bottom
- Radio controls are separated from the LCD screen, making it easier to work the radio
- Rain-sensing wipers (replacing the intermittent setting)
- "Rubber-duck" radio antenna works fine, and seems less fragile than the telescopic power antenna
- The cup holders are more useful in better locations
- The cargo cover can fit under the floor when you take it out, assuming you don't fill that storage area with stuff - you don't have to remember to leave it home when you get something big
- Moving the CD changer into the radio head really opens up the glovebox space
- You can pour oil into the engine faster on the 330 than on the 300 (you had to go really ssssloooowww on the 300 - I'm surprised the dealers put up with it)
- Available laser-guided cruise control (I really tried to get it, but it was too hard to find at the time)

Things on the 330 that are "rough around the edges":
- There were a lot of TSIB's on the '04 for things that are minor in reality (noises, not mechanical problems) but still annoying for a $40K+ car
- The learning transmission is sort of quirky, and it can learn to make poor decisions at times that make the car seem underpowered
- The spare tire is now under the car, rather than under the floor in the cargo area - exposes it to the elements
- It should have come with some sort of mud flaps
- I think the cargo cover got cheaper... it's made out of thinner material, and the auto-open release levers don't feel like they'll last many years (I like the 300 style, without the auto-open, a lot better)

Things that still need improvement (the 330 didn't fix them):
- The location of the oil filter, while marginally improved, is still very hard to get to
- The rear wiper does a poor job of cleaning the window
- Needs an aux input for an MP3 player or other audio device to play through the main speaker system

I agree with the other comments that the radio system upgrade to a fancy name like ML is nice but not worth the extra cost.

Finally, to jcg, there's a TSIB for the trans jerking at 25 MPH.
Old 11-23-04 | 08:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jcg

I do wish there were headlight washers in my RX300. Snow flakes seem to stick to the headlights.

You may need to adjust the HID. My HID was aimed very low out of factory. I adjust it so that I can do 75 mph, stop in time for those **** deers, and not blinding oncoming traffic.

Canadian-made RX330's engine and tranny came from the West Virginia plant. Wonder if it makes a difference.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 11-23-04 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 300--------->330...........How was it????