RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Can I tarn the ( VSC ) off on the RX 330

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 02:01 PM
Z E Z O
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I tarn the ( VSC ) off on the RX 330

Hi

Can I tarn the ( VSC ) off on the RX 330 >>> when i drive my new RX 330 in off roods the ( VSC ) bebs and make the car losing some power ? in the LX 470 when i press this at the ( Attach file ) the ( VSC ) tarn off for better driving off rood .

i want to drive my RX 330 off rood and i want to tarn the ( VSC ) off for powerful driving off rood

i attachd some photos

Z E Z O
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-04, 02:02 PM
Z E Z O
Driver School Candidate

Attached Thumbnails Can I tarn the ( VSC ) off on the RX 330-3b3c0068.jpg  
Old 12-13-04, 02:03 PM
Z E Z O
Driver School Candidate

Attached Thumbnails Can I tarn the ( VSC ) off on the RX 330-3b3d0069.jpg  
Old 12-13-04, 02:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Alright!!!! Nice to see someone actually use there TRUCK for some mild offroading. Something that everyone else needs to do with there TRUCK. (Key word TRUCK and ummm, mild)

Considering that I dont own a RX330, I wont be able to help you out, but I heard of rumors that you cant turn it off, maybe reduce its effectiveness.

Love the pics. Whats up with the Foreign liscense plates?? Are you really from Alabama??!!
Old 12-13-04, 03:42 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow "Mild" is the operative word here . . .

While the RX is certainly capable of mild off-roading, it is not advisable to interfere with the operation of the VSC. This is critical in an off-road situation where wheelspin is the enemy. On the 330 AWD, the VSC plays a significant role in the distribution of power to the wheel with traction - applying the brake to the faster-turning wheel. The 300 utilized a viscous coupling to distributing torque fore and aft, with an LSD to take care of the side-to-side distribution. The LX and GX are more conventional four wheelers, better adapted to off-roading than the RX.

Purpose-built dune and swamp buggies are lightweight, high-powered, high-flotation vehicles that can make use of lots of power and forward speed to stay out of trouble. Spectacular rooster-tails of mud and/or sand may look like fun, but passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs are entirely different creatures. Emulating the techniques of your favorite Baja driver will guarantee you a night or two communing with nature - until help arrives.

A spinning wheel not only produces no real tractive force, it tends to bury itself very quickly while robbing power from the other wheel on that axle (assuming open diffs and a disabled VSC). If a wheel buries itself sufficient to allow the body/frame to touch the ground, you are well and truly stuck. You will soon learn that a few heavy planks, a shovel, and a good jack can be your best friends. Don't forget to travel in groups, and carry a heavy tow strap. This is when you learn who your friends are.

Stay away from soft ground. Walk ahead and check the footing if you have any reason to suspect the firmness of the trail. Fording streams requires a quick wade to ensure the water depth won’t submerge your hubs – unless you enjoy repacking wheel bearings.

If you find yourself stuck in sand or mud it is best to lower tire pressure a few pounds to produce a slightly larger footprint, be sure the traction control (2WD) and VSC are engaged, and proceed very slowly with caution. If you find yourself moving quickly into seriously soft terrain with firm ground beyond, it is best to hold your speed, neither accelerating nor slowing, skittering quickly across the surface. If you begin to bog down too quickly and you see you are not going to make the other side, allow the vehicle to come to a stop, shift to reverse, and back out the way you came - without turning the steering wheel. You want to take advantage of the ruts you already dug getting into this mess, rather than try to climb out of them.

Oh, and carry water, a little food, suitable clothing for the weather, and your cell phone. If you have the Nav option, or an aftermarket GPS, note your lat/long and find high ground before attempting a telephone call. You are about to provide AAA with a good deal of entertainment.
Old 12-14-04, 09:48 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally posted by magneto112
Alright!!!! Nice to see someone actually use there TRUCK for some mild offroading. Something that everyone else needs to do with there TRUCK. (Key word TRUCK and ummm, mild)
There's really nothing truck-related on the RX..... nor anything offroad related.
Old 12-14-04, 10:26 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There's really nothing truck-related on the RX..... nor anything offroad related.
Amen to that! Camry/ES based floorpan, unibody, no skid plates, no low range, no locking diffs, but, hey, it's AWD, so I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to go rockcrawling...............that's not to say that one CAN'T go offroad, just that the vehicle was never designed with that sort of duty in mind.

That said, I (sort of) applaud ZEZO for pushing the envelope, but I wonder how his dealer is going to react when he wants a new tranny under warranty when he takes it in with muc up to the manifolds..............
Old 12-17-04, 04:29 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe the VSC can be turned off.
Old 12-20-04, 12:48 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about this a little more. I believe that VSC can only be turned off by shifting the transfer case into low range. Since the RX doesn't have a low speed transfer case, I think you're out of luck.
Old 12-20-04, 09:45 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The VSC can be turned off only on the FWD RX 330 by pressing the button below the dash to the right of the steering column. Shutting down the VSC on the AWD has (I think) been done by pulling a fuse - although I cannot think of any situation in which it would be advisable.