RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 08:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 04 RX330 check engine light

Anyone else get a check engine light, VSC light, and Trac Off light come on all at once? Our 04 RX330 with 33K miles (Bought in April 2003) just popped up all 3 lights. I'm sure it is all related (Probably a speed/wheel sensor). The dealer can't take the car in until next Wed, but they informed us that it should only take a day and they have seen this same problem before. Unfortunately they didn't go into any details on what that problem is. Anyone else have/had this same problem?
Old 03-11-05, 07:39 PM
texbrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was the verdict?

i have a 2001 that just did the same thing, thanks, brad
Old 03-12-05, 01:19 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My best guess is the Brake Assist feature has failed.

Don't confuse BA with normal power brake. BA kicks in when the RX notices that you want to make a sudden stop. It gives you extra boost in braking power in case you didn't floor the brake pedal.
Old 03-12-05, 06:32 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most common cause of this on the RX300 is the vacuum hose behind the air filter box coming off the metal tube below it. Did a quick lube place just change your oil or did anyone check the air filter? Do a search here on check engine light for a lot of info. This may also pertain to the 330.
Old 03-12-05, 10:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

ust a follow up. The earliest my dealer could take me in was 1 week after I called them about the check engine light. During taht week the lights all went off. I figured the codes would be stored, but when my car finially was checked they said no codes were found and they couldn't do anything. So basically nothing was done and no diagnosis was made. I'm kind of worried about that since my warranty is about to run out sometime later this year. Knowing bad luck it will come back again and I'll have to pay for the fix the next time.
Old 03-12-05, 11:54 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Knowing bad luck it will come back again and I'll have to pay for the fix the next time.
Do you think this is "first-year jitters"?? I haven't had anything like that happen, but I always seem to have trouble w/ the 6-disc CD player. My IS had its player changed out twice! And now my RX is getting it changed out for the first time.

Are you up for buying another Lexus after this? I'm actually second guessing it.
Old 03-12-05, 12:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Do you think this is "first-year jitters"?? I haven't had anything like that happen, but I always seem to have trouble w/ the 6-disc CD player. My IS had its player changed out twice! And now my RX is getting it changed out for the first time.

Are you up for buying another Lexus after this? I'm actually second guessing it.
As you know I'm an Acura/Honda and Toyota/Lexus fan. I more than likely have no problem purchasing another Lexus, but it also depends on what Acura has as well. I really do like the RL, but I also kind of like the GS. Both have strong points and weak points to them. If it were right now today, I would get the RL simply because the interior is as good as my Lexus or better than even the RX330 IMHO, performs as good if not a very minor edge in performance over the GS300 AWD, but one big major reason is Acura offeres navigation in Hawaii where Lexus does not. That alone moves me from two closely matches car to the RL. Otherwise, if the GS350 comes out and Lexus offers navigation, I'll probably sway to the GS. Another thing to note is I give up on buying new cars. I'll probably go back to buying CPO used cars. More bang for the buck and I can use the saved money for modifications

PS. I'll be entering my RX330 in the August car show. I'm building it right now so I'll send you some pics of it when it is done later in August if you remind me. It won't be completed, but it will be somewhat different. Once I get more money I'll do more things. For now it is just a drop, Alpine A/V system with PS2 and DVD, 20" rims, color matches spoiler and lower body trim and I just installed the color matches running boards I bought from Darrell as Sewel Lexus.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-12-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-12-05, 04:36 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I just installed the color matches running boards I bought from Darrell as Sewel Lexus.
I'd love to see pics of this. The only one I've seen is the Lexus chrome sidesteps, which I think look nasty on the 330.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (18.4 KB, 1562 views)
Old 03-12-05, 05:44 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As you know I'm an Acura/Honda and Toyota/Lexus fan. I more than likely have no problem purchasing another Lexus, but it also depends on what Acura has as well. I really do like the RL, but I also kind of like the GS. Both have strong points and weak points to them. If it were right now today, I would get the RL simply because the interior is as good as my Lexus or better than even the RX330 IMHO, performs as good if not a very minor edge in performance over the GS300 AWD, but one big major reason is Acura offeres navigation in Hawaii where Lexus does not. That alone moves me from two closely matches car to the RL. Otherwise, if the GS350 comes out and Lexus offers navigation, I'll probably sway to the GS. Another thing to note is I give up on buying new cars. I'll probably go back to buying CPO used cars. More bang for the buck and I can use the saved money for modifications

PS. I'll be entering my RX330 in the August car show. I'm building it right now so I'll send you some pics of it when it is done later in August if you remind me. It won't be completed, but it will be somewhat different. Once I get more money I'll do more things. For now it is just a drop, Alpine A/V system with PS2 and DVD, 20" rims, color matches spoiler and lower body trim and I just installed the color matches running boards I bought from Darrell as Sewel Lexus.

I hear ya on that! The RL is very sweet and a few grand cheaper too.....

I cant wait to see picts of your project 330.....what color do you have?
Old 03-12-05, 05:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I'd love to see pics of this. The only one I've seen is the Lexus chrome sidesteps, which I think look nasty on the 330.
I'll start a new topic and show pictures of the running boards. Look for it in a few minutes.

Originally Posted by Booyah
I hear ya on that! The RL is very sweet and a few grand cheaper too.....

I cant wait to see picts of your project 330.....what color do you have?

I have a Neptune Blue Mica. As I mentioned above, I'll start a new topic with pics.
Old 04-02-06, 10:07 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone else get a check engine light, VSC light, and Trac Off light come on all at once? Our 04 RX330 with 33K miles (Bought in April 2003) just popped up all 3 lights. I'm sure it is all related (Probably a speed/wheel sensor). The dealer can't take the car in until next Wed, but they informed us that it should only take a day and they have seen this same problem before. Unfortunately they didn't go into any details on what that problem is. Anyone else have/had this same problem?
Exactly the same thing happened to me tonight. Started the engine after a 40-mile drive this morning and got CEL, Trac and VSC lights. shut down and restarted a couple of times, lights still on. Drove about a mile, shut down, and lights came on again after restart. Shut down for about ten minutes and restarted - no lights. Drove another mile, and still no lights.

I'm not aware of any other problems, but just had 30K service performed last week. The car is an '04 (puchased May '03) has 31K on the clock, and one of the early units produced in Japan.

Any Ideas? CK, did you have any further problems?

Last edited by Lil4X; 04-03-06 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-02-06, 10:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Any Ideas? CK, did you have any further problems?
Unfortuntately I have no idea what could have been the problem. I did make an appointment at the dealer, but they couldn't take my in until a week later so by the time I arrived there was no check engine light, and I guess for some reason no codes were stored. Since then I have not had the problem come back yet.
Old 04-03-06, 03:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, CK! I remembered your situation the minute I had the problem - that's a load off my mind!
Old 07-14-08, 09:05 AM
SwervinIrv
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Engine Light & VSC

I had the same thing happen on my 2005 RX330 after I had the timing belt changed @ 92K. Check the timing belt components. Timing may be off by a notch or 2.
Old 07-14-08, 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

This is an old thread. What would have been done in this situation is to use an OBD2 scanner to pull the code and that would help locate the issue. I usually have found this is a P0171 error.

Will close this thread.