RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

clearbra installed...question on leather/paint sealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05 | 08:38 PM
emmydotnet
Driver School Candidate

Default clearbra installed...question on leather/paint sealer

I got my wife a 2005 AWD RX 330 ,breakwater blue/light gray leather a week ago. I had PREMIER MOBILE AESTHETICS GROUP install the clear bra last Saturday. Sam really did a good job. i would recommend his quality work.

I would like to ask those that have done this before. My next step is to treat/seal the leather and the paint. What would be the resommended process and parts to use?
1. Since it is a new car , would Claying and waxing be adequate? Is polishing necesssary?
What brand of clay and paint sealer would be good? Is wax same as sealer or are there specific products that is intended for paint seal for new cars?
2. Is Leatherique good for the type of leather that is used on the RX 330? I notice the leather is kinda soft compared with other cars I have seen?

thx,
Emmy
Old 01-18-05 | 06:35 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

I would use a claybar to start with. You never know what the car went through during the shipping process or how long it's been setting at the dealer lot (collecting contaminents).

Polishing/Glazing is necessary. It will determine the apperance of your car and gives it the gloss you're looking for. It shouldn't take you too long to do this step.

To seal paint by hand:
1.Wash car with auto specific soap. You don't have to dry car for next step.
2. Clay. I use a diluted mixture of soap and water as a lubricant. Make sure surface is always lubricated and never drop the claybar.I always split the claybar into 4 pieces and use a fresh piece if my claybar becomes too dirty.
3. Wash car again and dry.
4. Polish/Glaze to remove scratches and bring out paint gloss .
5. Seal with carnuba or polymer wax.

The most important thing to remember is to use clean applicators and towels with each step.
I use microfiber towels .
There are many quality products on the market that you can use for each step.Use what you like and what's convenient for you to get.

When we picked up our RX I told the dealer not to touched it . I took it home in (with the plasic wraps on)and spent two days detailing it.

I haven't used Leatherique on my Lexus but have read good reviews about it.Since this is what you have I would use it .

Good luck
Old 01-18-05 | 08:23 AM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2004 Rx330 and use Lexol products on the seats. Lexol seems to get fairly high marks and I have ben very pleased with it. As with all detailing/cleaning products it is best not to use too much (or too often)