RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Question on NAV system

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05 | 07:21 PM
lovetocamp
Driver School Candidate

Default Question on NAV system

We are looking at the RX330 and while my wife was driving I tried to play with the navagation system to see if it would find our house. I couldn't get it to work and when we got back the salesman said you can't make changes unless it is in park. This seems like a pain. He gave us some other misinformation so I thought I would check and see if that's true or not.

He also said you have to be in park to make a call on the blue tooth.

If anyone knows how these features work I would sure appreciate and info you have.

Thanks
Old 01-24-05 | 07:46 PM
luckylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by lovetocamp
We are looking at the RX330 and while my wife was driving I tried to play with the navagation system to see if it would find our house. I couldn't get it to work and when we got back the salesman said you can't make changes unless it is in park. This seems like a pain. He gave us some other misinformation so I thought I would check and see if that's true or not.

He also said you have to be in park to make a call on the blue tooth.

If anyone knows how these features work I would sure appreciate and info you have.

Thanks
If it is the same system in the new GX470, to enter a new destination you have to be stopped, but not in park. I've been able to do things when stopped at a light. However, if you have a point stored in memory, such as home, I think you can hit the pre-set button on the destination screen even while you are moving (one of 6 pre-sets).

I'm not quite sure about the phone, as I don't have a bluetooth phone yet, but I believe it may be the same thing. You might not be able to dial a number while moving, but probably can hit one of the 6 pre-sets.
Old 01-24-05 | 08:27 PM
jazzsax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luckylex
I'm not quite sure about the phone, as I don't have a bluetooth phone yet, but I believe it may be the same thing. You might not be able to dial a number while moving, but probably can hit one of the 6 pre-sets.
Actually there are 17 or 18 presets (3 pages of 6) if I remember right. 1 is used for the last outgoing call.
Old 01-24-05 | 09:29 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

You can only type in a destination when the car is stopped (not nessecarily in park).

However you can set up some quick access destinations and punch them in or voice command them up.

As for the phone you can set up 17 presets that are called "One-Touch" and touch them while you are moving.
Old 01-24-05 | 09:45 PM
lovetocamp
Driver School Candidate

We are also looking at a Acura Mdx and you can enter addresses either by the key pad or using verbal commands while driving. I really liked the verbal set up because I could enter an address while driving without taking my eyes off the road.
Does the RX330 have the voice recognition? We haven't found a salesman that seems to know much about the nav or the blue tooth.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 01-25-05 | 09:26 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally Posted by lovetocamp
We are also looking at a Acura Mdx and you can enter addresses either by the key pad or using verbal commands while driving. I really liked the verbal set up because I could enter an address while driving without taking my eyes off the road.
Does the RX330 have the voice recognition? We haven't found a salesman that seems to know much about the nav or the blue tooth.

Thanks for the responses so far.
In my experience with an '05 with NAV since Jan. 4, the Voice Recognition doesn't work worth a darn. I've given up using it at all.

There are a limited number of things you can do with the NAV as the car is moving, as others have posted.

With a Bluetooth phone, while the car is moving you can use 1-touch dialing. I have Sprint service, and use Sprint's Voice Command feature. While driving, I hit the phone controls on the steering wheel to bring up the 1-touch screen, hit the 1st one touch button that dials * send (that I programmed into it), then the Sprint Voice Command system says "ready" and I say "Call Dave at work." The Sprint Voice Command dude says "Call Dave at work, correct?" I say "yes" and the next thing, Dave's phone is ringing. It works very well.
Old 01-25-05 | 09:49 AM
jazzsax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayskinner
In my experience with an '05 with NAV since Jan. 4, the Voice Recognition doesn't work worth a darn. I've given up using it at all.
Can't argue with that statement.

No, on second thought, it's very useful to show people how stupid the recognition is. It always makes for a good laugh to say "Go Home" and it says "Now showing Post Offices".

With a Bluetooth phone, while the car is moving you can use 1-touch dialing. I have Sprint service, and use Sprint's Voice Command feature. While driving, I hit the phone controls on the steering wheel to bring up the 1-touch screen, hit the 1st one touch button that dials * send (that I programmed into it), then the Sprint Voice Command system says "ready" and I say "Call Dave at work." The Sprint Voice Command dude says "Call Dave at work, correct?" I say "yes" and the next thing, Dave's phone is ringing. It works very well.
So, curious. If you don't use the voice command feature, it will just dial without confirmation. That's what my v710 does. One touch and it dials and connects.
Old 01-25-05 | 04:08 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally Posted by jazzsax
Can't argue with that statement.

No, on second thought, it's very useful to show people how stupid the recognition is. It always makes for a good laugh to say "Go Home" and it says "Now showing Post Offices".

So, curious. If you don't use the voice command feature, it will just dial without confirmation. That's what my v710 does. One touch and it dials and connects.
Maybe my post was confusing. I programmed the 1st one touch button. It dials into Sprint's Voice Command System. I pay $5 a month to Sprint for that feature. I can then talk to the Sprint system using the hands-free in the car, and tell it who I want to call, and it dials the number and completes my call.

Similarly, I can hit * send on my phone, then tell the Sprint system who to call, and it completes the call. Sprint provides you with a web site to manage your address book, etc. So when I say Call Dave at work, I pre-programmed the nickname Dave into the system, with a number designated as a work number. The system repeats back my command, then dials the number I pre-programmed as Dave's number at work after I tell it thaat it heard me correctly by saying "Yes."

Before I added the Sprint Voice Command Service, I'd just programmed a few of the one-touch buttons, and used them like you do, just hit the button and the phone connects the call to the number programmed into the one touch.

Regarding the voice recognition, that lady is pretty consistent. When I get frustrated and tell her ***** you, she hears it as FM2, and switches the radio to FM2.
Old 01-25-05 | 08:51 PM
luckylex
Rookie

I have an 05 GX and the voice recognition works pretty good. I find that it works better to just speak normally rather than trying to speak slowly or trying to clearly enunciate the syllables. However, I think it is rather limited in the overall number of commands that can be made.