RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Motor oil 5w-30

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 04:03 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor oil 5w-30

What brand you all use for your RX330?
Old 01-28-05, 05:07 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXGOLD
What brand you all use for your RX330?
Whatever they use at the dealership.
Old 01-28-05, 05:35 PM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil

Mobil 1 5w-30 - buy it in 5-quart jugs from Wal-Mart for about $18. Use Toyota FO-11 filter.
Old 01-28-05, 07:55 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Amsoil 5W 30 & Amsoil oil filter.
Old 01-28-05, 11:25 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

I was thinking of using Valvoline or Quaker State....any inputs?

Also, besides using the Toyota F0-11 oil filter any other brands available that are good?
Fram? Delco?
Old 01-29-05, 08:11 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Also, besides using the Toyota F0-11 oil filter any other brands available that are good?
Fram? Delco?
Stay far away from Fram......they are garbage & if you do a search on oil filter tests on this site or LOC (Lexus Owners Club.com), you will see what I mean. Other oil filters that are excellent are the Mobil 1 & K & N oil filters. Good Luck!
Old 01-29-05, 08:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Fram? Delco?
Pure One from Purolator is what I usually use if I don't have a Denso made Toyota filter available.
Old 01-29-05, 09:23 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Amsoil 5W 30 & Amsoil oil filter.

So how long do you go between oil changes?? I know Amsoil totes there oil as changing at 1-Year or 25,000 miles??

I run the Amsoil 0W-30 and filters
Old 01-30-05, 06:22 AM
Out2L8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Booyah
So how long do you go between oil changes?? I know Amsoil totes there oil as changing at 1-Year or 25,000 miles??
Those claims are simply insane!!!!! Look - you own a 40k car.....CHANGE THE FREEKIN OIL ALREADY!

I'd think after the whole sludging problem with the rx-300 that you would have to be out of your mind to buy into the "run our oil for 25k or 30k miles" with no problems (????). That's just nuts!

I never go past 4k synth or dino. I shoot for 3k intervals. No matter what. I use synth btw. Don't really have a favorite brand. Lex dealer is using Castrol, but I've used others as well.
Old 01-30-05, 05:19 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Motor Oil 5W-30W

Frankly my belief is changing oil at intervals of less than what the owner's manual says is like rolling down the car window and throwing money out of it. Owner's manual says 5,000 miles for severe driving conditions and 7,500 miles for 'normal' conditions. I use Mobil 1 Super Syn and Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter. There is no way I am going to waste money and time changing oil and filter less than 7,500 mile intervals. If an engine cannot be driven that many miles without 'sludging' it is not worth having. I never heard of oil causing 'sludging' problems in engines prior to Toyota/Lexus began to have problems. Sounds more like an engine problem rather than oil mileage problem. I have owned 33 vehicles through the years and have never had any problems caused by motor oil. We have also owned 3.0 liter V6 Toyota Avalon's while hearing of 'sludging' problems in them but never had that problem in them and I ran Mobil 1 oil for 12,000 - 15,000 miles between changes.

GCrim21
Old 01-30-05, 08:31 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No such thing as a free lunch . . .

Originally Posted by Booyah

I run the Amsoil 0W-30 and filters
We had a CL member who was a distributor for Amsoil about three years ago. He insisted that his company's product was so superior that it only needed to be changed every year and that Amsoil stood behind that guarantee.

Very long story short, he sludged his RX 300's engine after nearly 24K miles without an oil change. As a result of loss of lubrication, the engine was destroyed. The replacement cost from his dealer he said was $13,000, and he was EXTREMELY upset that Lexus would not warranty his claim. Several on this forum had tried to warn him, but he was very defensive about the claims of Amsoil, insisting that those 5K oil changes were not required with his product.

Before he stopped posting here, the last I recall about the case was that he'd recieved a formal notice from Lexus that they would not honor his warranty due to his neglegence, and Amsoil wasn't returning his calls. If they didn't honor the claim of one of their MLM dealers, I wonder what they would do with mine? I notice now that on their website, Amsoil no longer claims these incredibly long oil change intervals . . . .
Old 01-30-05, 10:15 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gcrim21
Frankly my belief is changing oil at intervals of less than what the owner's manual says is like rolling down the car window and throwing money out of it. Owner's manual says 5,000 miles for severe driving conditions and 7,500 miles for 'normal' conditions. I use Mobil 1 Super Syn and Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter. There is no way I am going to waste money and time changing oil and filter less than 7,500 mile intervals. If an engine cannot be driven that many miles without 'sludging' it is not worth having. I never heard of oil causing 'sludging' problems in engines prior to Toyota/Lexus began to have problems. Sounds more like an engine problem rather than oil mileage problem. I have owned 33 vehicles through the years and have never had any problems caused by motor oil. We have also owned 3.0 liter V6 Toyota Avalon's while hearing of 'sludging' problems in them but never had that problem in them and I ran Mobil 1 oil for 12,000 - 15,000 miles between changes.

GCrim21
I agree. I use Mobil 1 0w20 for winter, 5w30 for summer, Puralator PureOne filter, 10K between oil changes.
Old 01-31-05, 07:14 AM
Out2L8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
We had a CL member who was a distributor for Amsoil about three years ago. He insisted that his company's product was so superior that it only needed to be changed every year and that Amsoil stood behind that guarantee.

Very long story short, he sludged his RX 300's engine after nearly 24K miles without an oil change. As a result of loss of lubrication, the engine was destroyed. The replacement cost from his dealer he said was $13,000, and he was EXTREMELY upset that Lexus would not warranty his claim. Several on this forum had tried to warn him, but he was very defensive about the claims of Amsoil, insisting that those 5K oil changes were not required with his product.

Before he stopped posting here, the last I recall about the case was that he'd recieved a formal notice from Lexus that they would not honor his warranty due to his neglegence, and Amsoil wasn't returning his calls. If they didn't honor the claim of one of their MLM dealers, I wonder what they would do with mine? I notice now that on their website, Amsoil no longer claims these incredibly long oil change intervals . . . .
Yeah - I remember that guy!! I think it was down here in ATL some where too as I recall. Anybody heard from him? I remember he and wwest were going at it at length over this issue. I bet he lost his case against T/L. Hopfully he got something out of Amsoil.

And oh BTW gcrim21 - Lexus definitely, without any doubt, had sludging problems with the RX-300. Sure it seemed that perhaps those that did not change as often as required were more suseptable - but there is a certainly problem with that motor over certain model years. Many national media sources were all over this story, which prompted the full coverage warantee letter from T/L.

Last edited by Out2L8; 01-31-05 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:34 AM
mmahamm
Driver

From what I understand, most of what we think of as typical suburban driving can constitute "severe" driving. I change oil in all of my vehicles at 5000 mile intervals. I set a reminder in my calendar for 4,000 mile intervals, and that way I have some slack time to work with. I have gone as long as 6,000 miles, but long ago decided never to go as long as 7,500 miles.

3,000 mile intervals is indeed throwing your money out the window. To their credit, Jiffy Lube has succeeded in planting that short interval in all of our brains. See Consumer Reports study about 10 years ago, which concluded that there is no measurable difference in engine wear at 6,000 mile intervals vs. 3,000 mile intervals.
Old 01-31-05, 02:28 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Good Link on Engine Oil

I found this link very helpful.
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
Oil Filter is also important. Your engine oil may still have life but if the filter is clogged, bypass valved will be activated and oil goes back unfiltered.

Quick Reply: Motor oil 5w-30