RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What is the safest and best way to sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 08:30 AM
shortbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the safest and best way to sell my car?

I was thinking of selling my mercedes 2002 c240 privately instead of the dealer so I can buy the RX330. Is there a big difference in the money I can get?

However with all the crazy people out there today, I am a bit concerned about my safety meeting with strangers. Does anyone know of a safe way to sell a car?
Old 01-29-05, 08:33 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll ALWAYS get more money by selling it yourself.

I can understand your concern for safety, especially in Cali. I'd meet w/ people you feel comfortable w/ while on the phone, and always in a busy public area. Let someone know where you'll be going to meet this buyer, and just have your cell ready & charged in case of an emergency!

Good luck!
Old 01-29-05, 09:20 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to take the car to Carmax. They'll buy used cars on the spot. The drawback, though, is that they'll give you wholesale instead of retail. It won't be drastically more than the dealer would give you, unless the dealer is trying to low-ball you. It costs nothing to take the car in and have them appraise it to make you an offer.

In Illinois, there's a catch to selling a car outright rather than trading it in. If you trade it to a dealer, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the new car and the trade-in. If you sell your car first and then go into the dealer with the cash, you'll pay sales tax on the entire price of the new car. Sales tax is 6.5% outside of the Chicago city limits. (It's more in Chicago.)

When we're talking about the price range of a new Lexus, that sales tax is something to consider. When I bought my RX330, it was a very hot seller (only a couple of months on the market), and the dealer gave me a great price on the 330 but low-balled my trade-in. I eventually got the dealer to match the Carmax price for the trade, so in effect, the dealer gave me another $1,600 more than Carmax in the form of sales tax I didn't have to pay. That was good enough for me to trade it rather than try to sell it myself at retail price.
Old 01-29-05, 02:02 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Here are the things to watch out for.

Preparation:
Detaled clean up is a must. New mats and pedal covers look good but a savvy buyer may think that there must be a reson to do this at the time of sale. Make sure the car is in running condition and will start on the first twist of ignition. Makes sure AC and stereo are working, if not tell the buyer up-front. Have them turned on but set at the appropraite level (sound low, ac/heat as the weather dictates). Ensure your vehicle has current tags and inspection. (to help you get top $s).

Most important, have the note or bank papers all ready for transfer and a clear title will make things lot easier. Some states require a clear title to be re-issued once the lein is paid off. Also if the vehicle is in the name of the spouse, ensure spouse will be available to make the sale.
Collect the maintainence records, spare keys and any receipts for tire and battery purcahses]

Safety:
As pointed out, try to sense the prospective buyer. Caller-id etc. Meet at a public place and insist on looking at the driver's licence. [Must for a test drive]. To fortyfy your position ask a friend to be with you and be aware of your surroundings. Also filter out as many buyers on the phone. Be as accurate as possible and discuss the non-negotiable items up-front . This just helps you manage your time and cuts dowm the risk.

$ & sense:
Establish your bottom price and pad if you feel like negotiatiing. As pointed out the sales tax for your next vehicle will based on sale_price - trade_in at the car dealership. If you decide to go private sale, insist on being paid in cash or insist on driving to the bank . Under no circumstances hand over the keys/title before accepting the payment. Most sales happen over the week-end so think this through.

Sale:
The buyer has to pay tax on the purchase, and lot of time they do not transfer the tiitle over. It is in your best interest that the transfer is done. Although the endorsed title will give the right of onership to the buyer, but the state still thinks the other person is driving around with your permission . {parking tickets will come you and it can be a nightmare to sort, in case of an accident] . I know it is hard but if you can go the County Court House (at leat for Texas) and have the vehcile legally transferred. Some States control this by the license plates and you as the owner needs to take them off.

Check what is required in your area, in Texas the title needs to be endoresed over, an affidevit stating the sales price as well as the actual milage needs to be filled out by the seller.
I prefer making the buyer sign a release that states the car is "As - Is" along with a requirement that the buyer will purchase the insurance for the vehicle. [State regulates the time for which you as the seller will be liable].

Fine point: If you trade-in, the dealer keeps the vehicle in your name (the transfer happens when some one buys the car).

If you knowingly hide a defect or misrepisent, you can be held liable.

Good luck.

Salim
Old 01-29-05, 05:46 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shortbear
I was thinking of selling my mercedes 2002 c240 privately instead of the dealer so I can buy the RX330. Is there a big difference in the money I can get?

However with all the crazy people out there today, I am a bit concerned about my safety meeting with strangers. Does anyone know of a safe way to sell a car?
Yes, the difference could be $2,000 or more.

Hire an armed guard, then have all potential buyers meet and compete at the same time. This way you'll be safe and get the max dollars.