RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 problems starting up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 10:27 AM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 problems starting up?

Does anyone have any problems with their car getting it to start? It takes me about 2-3 times to crank it just to get it to start. Sometimes 1 crank wil do it.... But it is not consistent.....Is this common?

I currently have about 1,200 miles on it.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-05, 12:48 PM
FlintRX
Rookie

I noticed this right away when I bought my 330. I have to let it crank just a little longer than I have with any previous car I've owned. I don't think it's a mechanical failure, just one of those quarks that you have to live with. Now if yours is a little more extreme, than I'd take it in and have it checked out.
Old 02-04-05, 12:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While I noticed that it seems to take about a half second longer to crank and fire, my RX330 has always fired on the first try (Excluding the early learning days when I would release the key too fast from the start position). Now, i hold it down for what seems like a little over a second and it will fire right up. We have close to 35K miles on our RX now. Maybe it is a cold weather climate thing? We have fairly consistent warm weather here so I really wouldn't know of the cold weather had anything to do with it.
Old 02-04-05, 01:51 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

It happens more in the morning and evenings.....perhaps it is the cold weather.

During the day is fine.....
Old 02-04-05, 01:53 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

or maybe is part of the break-in period??
Old 02-04-05, 02:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Starting

My 05 RX starts right away just like my 04 ES did and 99 Avalon. I've never had to crank it twice.

Old 02-09-05, 06:47 PM
desirusso
Driver School Candidate

Default My Rx died!!!!!!

My 05 also has this problem on occasion. Today though it died on me. I was going in reverse out of my drive way and when I put the car into drive it just died right there in gear. I had to turn the car off put it in park and restart the engine in the middle of the street. This was in the middle of the day and I had been driving all day and no other such problems. My car has 1,625k miles on it. Before I go to the dealer I'm wondering if I should just watch it and see if it does it again otherwise If I take it to the dealer and it doesn't happen then there is nothing they can do. Any one had or has had this problem with their RX?
Old 02-09-05, 08:00 PM
SamnJaz
Driver School Candidate

We've had our RX for 3 weeks, and 980 miles and I noticed this right off. Even mentioned to the dealer.
My '03 Tundra, as soon as you touch the key, the engine takes over from there and keeps cranking until it starts. Even though this is only a couple of turns.

I wonder why the RX doesn't do that as well??

My concern with the RX is that it's so quite, I'm never sure the engine started, a couple of times it didn't. Had to start all over again.
Old 02-10-05, 03:00 AM
MoFunk
Driver

haha i'll give you the 'it's so quiet that i didnt know if it started' hehe, usually a small step on the accelerator lets you know (obviously with parking brake on) or just checkin the RPMs.

FYI my 04 RX330 starts fine, maybe it is a climate thing? cause it's pretty warm all year round for Sydney
Old 02-11-05, 03:57 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Ok.....Brought my car yesterday to the dealership and they were "NOT" able to duplicate the starting issue!

Most likely cause I drove an hour there and the car was fully warmed up. They crank it multiple times but the darn thing didn't wanta fail. This morning.......I had the same problem again,. Darn it!
3 cranks didn't wanta start until the fourth time it came on!!

I couldn't find any TSB. Anyone??

Thanks.....
Old 02-11-05, 04:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGOLD
Ok.....Brought my car yesterday to the dealership and they were "NOT" able to duplicate the starting issue!

Most likely cause I drove an hour there and the car was fully warmed up. They crank it multiple times but the darn thing didn't wanta fail. This morning.......I had the same problem again,. Darn it!

Thanks.....
Do you have a video camera? When I had a intermittent problem with my SC400, I video taped it so I could show the dealer visually. Fortunately for me I fixed the problem myself before I took the car in, but it still was a good idea.
Old 02-11-05, 04:14 PM
joako
Driver

How cold is it over there? I have noticed on my '04 with 18k miles that it does take a bit longer than most other cars to start...
Old 02-11-05, 04:30 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Morning temp is roughly around 45-52 degrees.
Old 02-11-05, 08:34 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGOLD

Thanks.....
You can leave the RX with the dealer for the night. They can check it the next morning.

Salim
Old 02-11-05, 09:15 PM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
You can leave the RX with the dealer for the night. They can check it the next morning.

Salim

Now....that's an idea.. I just need to get a loaner car the night before.

Quick Reply: 2005 RX330 problems starting up?