RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bluetooth Question - New Lexus Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 06:05 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't blame Lexus or Motorola it's Verizon that's greedy

As an alternative you can dial a number on the screen and make a call and hang up. You can now import it to the 17 one touch speed dials but it won't have any name attached to it like when you import from the phone book. Verizon with their CDMA phone system were one of the last to get bluetooth and they purposely told Motorola not to include these features so they could sell them as services to the suscriber. Lexus should modify the system to accommidate voice only dialing. The bluetooth system was an add on to the Nav system and is still a work in progress. The GS is the first car from Lexus that does not require Nav inorder to have the Bluetooth component mainly because it is standard with a touch screen. Expect that in the new IS250/350.
Old 02-24-05, 06:34 AM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
As an alternative you can dial a number on the screen and make a call and hang up. You can now import it to the 17 one touch speed dials but it won't have any name attached to it like when you import from the phone book. Verizon with their CDMA phone system were one of the last to get bluetooth and they purposely told Motorola not to include these features so they could sell them as services to the suscriber. Lexus should modify the system to accommidate voice only dialing. The bluetooth system was an add on to the Nav system and is still a work in progress. The GS is the first car from Lexus that does not require Nav inorder to have the Bluetooth component mainly because it is standard with a touch screen. Expect that in the new IS250/350.

Lexus definitely deserves some of the blame. Other cars like BMW's now work with the Verizon bluetooth v710 fully and allow the phonebook to be uploaded. It is Lexus' implementation of bluetooth that doesn't work with Verizon. The reason the car companies are going to bluetooth is very simple. The chip that allows bluetooth is very cheap and much less expensive than hard wiring a connection to a portable cellphone like was previously done. If Lexus is so concerned with safety like they seem to be with their ridiculous navigation screen warnings, and if they couldn't agree with the nation's largest wireless carrier about a functional system, why didin't they offer an optional cellphone that could be snapped onto a cord in the console and fully connect thru the audio system when in the car, and be taken out of the car whenever that is desired? Auto manufacturers have been doing for many years - this is hardly new technology. For Lexus to save money and then force people to risk their lives to dial directly on their cellphones when driving is completely unacceptible but that's exactly what they have done.
Old 02-24-05, 02:15 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, heaven forbid that we can't safely make a cell call in our cars. Imagine if all we could do was write old-fashioned letters, and had to lick the stamp to boot.
Old 04-04-05, 06:55 PM
ncalmark
Driver School Candidate

Default More on Treo 650 bluetooth & RX330

I just got my RX330 w/NAV delivered on Friday. Updated my Treo 650 Sprint GSM phone to Treo650-1.08-SPCS. This is the OS update that is supposed to help with car kit compatibility. I get the same error I've seen in other posts...When I try to pair the 650 w/the Lexus, the 650 thinks it's paired & the RX display just stays on the screen that displays the key code for the phone. I did try to initiate a call from the Treo, which worked, but when I called my cell from another phone, it acted as though there was no connection to the car. No ring. No connection to the car audio when I tried to pick up the call from the steering wheel control or the phone itself.

Jayskinner, what kind of magic trick did you do to get the thing to work? Seems like you're the only one that's been able to get it done.

Many thanks.
Old 04-08-05, 04:54 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncalmark
I just got my RX330 w/NAV delivered on Friday. Updated my Treo 650 Sprint GSM phone to Treo650-1.08-SPCS. This is the OS update that is supposed to help with car kit compatibility. I get the same error I've seen in other posts...When I try to pair the 650 w/the Lexus, the 650 thinks it's paired & the RX display just stays on the screen that displays the key code for the phone. I did try to initiate a call from the Treo, which worked, but when I called my cell from another phone, it acted as though there was no connection to the car. No ring. No connection to the car audio when I tried to pick up the call from the steering wheel control or the phone itself.

Jayskinner, what kind of magic trick did you do to get the thing to work? Seems like you're the only one that's been able to get it done.

Many thanks.
I did the update as well (Sprint is CDMA, not GSM, by the way) and re-paired the phone to the car. It did take a few tries, but it works great. In addition to making sure bluetooth is on, make sure Discoverable is set to Yes, and in the bluetooth options menu set it to "allow wakeup."

I did have to try several times to get it to pair, so just keep at it.
Old 01-16-06, 01:23 PM
bteezy
Driver School Candidate

Default Blackberry phone with RX330

Having been trying to transfer numbers from my Blackberry to my RX330 but havent been sucessful. Has anyone else been able to do this? I hae a BB 7290. I was able to connect and received incoming calls but have yet to able to make outgoing calls using the phonebook.

Any help would be appreciated.