RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 Tranny Is Starting To Irritate Me

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 07:00 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 330 Tranny Is Starting To Irritate Me

I love my 330 a lot, but the tranny issue is starting to get old. It seems now, whether I'm following a slow car from a stop or accelerating at my own pace, the power delivery & shifts are rarely smooth. There's a noticeable lag between 1 & 2, and most times the tranny JERKS - hard, between 2 & 3. The rest of the shifts & power delivery is okay.

Anyone else having the same issues? Isn't there some TSIB about the jerking?
Old 02-20-05, 08:46 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Yeah ... it's not a make or break issue with me, but it's a little annoying at times. You can kind of work with it. Some people have had the TSB done and thought it really helped ... others thought it made no difference. I might just try it to see, but some people just said they reset the computer that "learns" your driving patterns.
Old 02-21-05, 05:58 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Right after I wrote, I went for a drive to check out our new house being built (knowing that no progress was made since it was the weekend...), it drove so smoothly, as well as today to and from work... Maybe mine is a slow learner??
Old 02-21-05, 09:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a little jertk sometimes, but it appears my wifes driving style gets more problems than mine. She even complains about the shift lag when accelerating hard that most mentioned, but I don't really have that problem. It could be the way I hit the gas though. I generally never stomp on the gas but progressively press it more and more as I need it. Now, I'm not a grandpa dirver, I drove sports cars and coupes most of the time, but maybe my driving style just fits the RX330 trans better
Old 02-21-05, 10:04 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriends 330 is now having some problems with the tranny, i notice some new strange noises when it shifts, but so far i cant feel any difference.
Old 02-22-05, 12:35 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem and it irritated the crap out of me too! I complained hard to the dealer at 30k service, and they were able to duplicate the problem w/ me in the driver seat, so they checked it out and changed the "transmission cooler lines". Miraculously, it worked - the rough downshifting followed by a small clicking noise from the engine compartment is now gone. It's a relief not to have to deal with that in traffic, driving through my neighborhood, etc. It's quite a lot smoother now, though maybe not exactly 100% perfect.
Old 02-22-05, 12:56 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
I had the exact same problem and it irritated the crap out of me too! I complained hard to the dealer at 30k service, and they were able to duplicate the problem w/ me in the driver seat, so they checked it out and changed the "transmission cooler lines". Miraculously, it worked - the rough downshifting followed by a small clicking noise from the engine compartment is now gone. It's a relief not to have to deal with that in traffic, driving through my neighborhood, etc. It's quite a lot smoother now, though maybe not exactly 100% perfect.
Hmm, I do have that dumb clicking noise so maybe I'll see if the dealer can change my oil cooler lines and maybe that will get rid of my clicking noise.
Old 02-22-05, 06:22 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm not a grandpa dirver
I know... not if you've got an NSX!?!
Old 02-22-05, 06:24 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
Thanks for the info!

Did this also sort of fix the sometimes rough upshifting & gear-hunting problem?
Old 02-22-05, 09:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Thanks for the info!

Did this also sort of fix the sometimes rough upshifting & gear-hunting problem?
I never had too much of the rough upshifting - I think the acceleration is not problematic, although I agree it does leave much to be desired (i.e., the buttery smooth V8 of the GX).

I think the gear hunting is improved from the tranny fix actually. I experienced quite a bit of gear hunting in traffic situations - 2nd or 3rd, 2nd or 3rd, it was jerky on the highway when traffic was moving 20-30 mph. I haven't felt much of that either since the fix.

I have also had engine droning problems which I showed the techs the TSIB for this, but again, they were unable to duplicate. The droning was particularly bad as the car downshifted while traveling down a small hill in my neighborhood - it was like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be in 1st or 2nd so it would drone and the rpms would run like they were about to switch, but never do. But the droning doesn't seem to come around as often now that it's not hunting for gears as much.

Again, still not perfect, but a great improvement. If it irritates you like it did to me, I highly recommend getting it checked out. Given my history with the RX and Lexus techs, I don't think I will have the patience to deal with this stuff after it hits the 50k end-of-warranty birthday. So I'm 18k miles away from a new GX or LX.

Don't get me wrong, I love the RX, and I bought it on the official launch date - but it just needs a little more refinement and oomph in the engine department.
Old 02-23-05, 09:04 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, the annual auto issue of Consumer Reports just came out. In its reliability survey, less than 2% of owners reported problems with 2004 RX330's transmission.

Yet I've read tons of complaints here. That makes me wonder if we CL members are just too picky about our rides.
Old 02-23-05, 01:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
FWIW, the annual auto issue of Consumer Reports just came out. In its reliability survey, less than 2% of owners reported problems with 2004 RX330's transmission.

Yet I've read tons of complaints here. That makes me wonder if we CL members are just too picky about our rides.
No, the trasmission really is a problem, but I have a feeling many people don't report it or are not being tabulated. For example, I have not reported my problems, and nobody has ever surveyed me, so I probably don't count in those numbers. Keep in mind the same transmission problem is being reported in other cars like teh ES330 and such. On the same note, I wonder if the dealers actually pass the infor to these reporting agencies. Many times when I actually do complain to the dealer about a problem I have and what seems like many have they always say they never heard of the problem before and make like I am the first case. Another thing to note is unless we suffer a transmission failure, no matter what irritating problem we may be having it is still counted as reliable since it hasn't actually broken down. When you think about it, there has already been at least 1 recall, 1 more potential recall, and about 34 TSIBs. I find it hard to believe that only 2% of owners are having problems, and 98% are 100% problem free.
Old 02-23-05, 02:24 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
No, the trasmission really is a problem, but I have a feeling many people don't report it or are not being tabulated. For example, I have not reported my problems, and nobody has ever surveyed me, so I probably don't count in those numbers. Keep in mind the same transmission problem is being reported in other cars like teh ES330 and such. On the same note, I wonder if the dealers actually pass the infor to these reporting agencies. Many times when I actually do complain to the dealer about a problem I have and what seems like many have they always say they never heard of the problem before and make like I am the first case. Another thing to note is unless we suffer a transmission failure, no matter what irritating problem we may be having it is still counted as reliable since it hasn't actually broken down. When you think about it, there has already been at least 1 recall, 1 more potential recall, and about 34 TSIBs. I find it hard to believe that only 2% of owners are having problems, and 98% are 100% problem free.
I completely agree - I haven't participated in any survey. I definitely think that CL members are more conscientious about their cars, but I am sure anyone who drove my RX would have the same complaints. just very un-Lexus-like. As a multiple Lexus owner, I must say that the RX falls short of my very high expectations, but it still rates a lot better than any ML or X5 out there.
Old 02-23-05, 06:40 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

lexuslover: I hear 'ya!

I don't have that droning-sound; but you described the jerky 20-30 mph to the "T"... I'm gonna visit the dealer on Friday and see wassup. Transmission cooler lines huh??...
Old 02-23-05, 07:57 PM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

I had the droning/humming and the tranny clunk or click. They both happened when decelerating from 3rd to 2nd gear. I took it in to the dealer and they performed the transmission cooler line TSB which fixed both issues. I could probably find the TSB number if you need it.

The jerkiness of the tranny I think has a lot to do with driving style and the drive-by-wire throttle (electronic throttle, no actual mechanical link between the pedal and throttle). I've read in other posts that if you are decelerating and then punch the gas, the computer can get "confused" until it knows exactly what you want to do, thus the delay. My wife has never complained about a hesitation or jerkiness. I've experienced it a couple times but not anything that I would say is a problem or safety issue.

The RX330 is not perfect but is still one of the best cars I've purchased. There were over 100,000 RX330's sold last year. Just using 2004 numbers, it is a very small percentage here on CL complaining about the tranny.

Cole

Quick Reply: 330 Tranny Is Starting To Irritate Me