RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Can you specify a Japan build RX330 when ordering from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 08:19 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Can you specify a Japan build RX330 when ordering from dealer?

I have been thinking about getting a RX330 for a while now. And I am ready to place my order.
I have noticed that the Rx is build both in Japan and Canada.

When ordering the vehicle from the dealer, can you specify that you want only a Japan made Rx330?

What has your experience been?

I was at Longo 2 weeks ago and they were re-paving their lot. They have made a lot of changes. Longo is looking very nice. I was there for other reasons and did not get a chance to talk to a salesperson.

Thanks All!
Old 02-24-05, 09:23 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vipermann1
I have been thinking about getting a RX330 for a while now. And I am ready to place my order.

When ordering the vehicle from the dealer, can you specify that you want only a Japan made Rx330?

I was at Longo 2 weeks ago and they were re-paving their lot. They have made a lot of changes. Longo is looking very nice. I was there for other reasons and did not get a chance to talk to a salesperson.

Thanks All!
Of course you can....That's what I did. Mine is Made in Japan!!
Old 02-24-05, 12:41 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DARN! WIsh I was in SoCal!! Not so many huge dealerships over in the East . I mean I would love their huge selection on purchasing my next GS (my dealer had 1 when Longo had like dozens!)

Sorry to be off topic
Old 02-25-05, 06:32 AM
dougt
Driver School Candidate

Yes you can but do ask them how much longer the wait will be. At a large dealership like Longo they may have a few in stock. each vehicle will be stamped where it was made.
Old 02-25-05, 08:20 AM
dolesun
Rookie

I think Canadian models are mostly for Canada or northeast states, right? In CA, RX arrives to Long Beach from Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the RX I've seen here in Nor. Cal are all from Japan and trucked from Long Beach.
Old 02-25-05, 09:24 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dolesun
I think Canadian models are mostly for Canada or northeast states, right? In CA, RX arrives to Long Beach from Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the RX I've seen here in Nor. Cal are all from Japan and trucked from Long Beach.
Nope...you are wrong. I saw a few Canadians on my dealership lot.
Old 02-25-05, 06:14 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota's long-term strategy for reducing manufacturing and shipping costs is to make vehicles on the continent where they're sold.

Most RX's sold in the United States will be made in Canada. Vehicles are probably shipped from Japan only by request or to make up for shortages created by unplanned demand.

You'll see this across the Toyota and Lexus product lines. It's happened quite a bit already with the Toyota brand. For example, the Land Cruiser is few-and-far-between in the United States; it's been replaced by the Sequoia, which is made in Indiana. Someone posted a list of new model name trademarks a few months ago. On the list was the Lexus "JX", which is rumored to be a Lexus version of the Sequoia.

North American stock for the Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra, Camry, and Avalon are all made in the United States, and the Matrix is made in Canada.

All of the Canada-bashing on the board is pretty silly... the few problems that are unique to the Canadian-made RX's are due to quality issues with individual parts. There's nothing wrong with the assembly process or the concept of making the vehicles outside of Japan. It is clear, though, that Toyota has to create a tougher quality-control process for incoming parts.
Old 02-26-05, 04:03 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tell where it's made by looking at the VIN. The first character will denote where it was built. All Japanese made cars will start with J.
Old 02-26-05, 02:39 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Question option packages

We order ours at the end of October. The car will be in black forest pearl, with Navigation System/Mark Levinson package, without the back seat DVD system. So you can see they had to build it just for us. No dealers would order one like this for his floor.
Our car just got off the boat on the in Los Angeles on the 15th and now its in Texas. They will truck it to New Orleans and we will pick it up next weekend there. Therefore, I think what option packages that are in your car determines where they build it.
Of the eight new cars that I saw at my local dealership lot in LA (Lower Alabama), all were from Canada. None of them had Navigation and they all had sorry 18" Goodyear tires. Which in a city that has over 70 inches of rain a year are about as good as racing slicks in a snowstorm.
Old 02-28-05, 10:14 AM
silver_rx3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Toyota's long-term strategy for reducing manufacturing and shipping costs is to make vehicles on the continent where they're sold.

Most RX's sold in the United States will be made in Canada. Vehicles are probably shipped from Japan only by request or to make up for shortages created by unplanned demand.

You'll see this across the Toyota and Lexus product lines. It's happened quite a bit already with the Toyota brand. For example, the Land Cruiser is few-and-far-between in the United States; it's been replaced by the Sequoia, which is made in Indiana. Someone posted a list of new model name trademarks a few months ago. On the list was the Lexus "JX", which is rumored to be a Lexus version of the Sequoia.

North American stock for the Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra, Camry, and Avalon are all made in the United States, and the Matrix is made in Canada.

All of the Canada-bashing on the board is pretty silly... the few problems that are unique to the Canadian-made RX's are due to quality issues with individual parts. There's nothing wrong with the assembly process or the concept of making the vehicles outside of Japan. It is clear, though, that Toyota has to create a tougher quality-control process for incoming parts.

This is about 50% right. It is their strategy to build em where they sell them. However the cambridge plant can only build about half of the rx330's. Just so you know if the vin starts with J then its japanese if it starts with a 2 then thats canada.

Ben
Old 03-01-05, 08:47 AM
icings
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silver_rx3
This is about 50% right. It is their strategy to build em where they sell them. However the cambridge plant can only build about half of the rx330's. Just so you know if the vin starts with J then its japanese if it starts with a 2 then thats canada.

Ben

My salesman told me that starting 2005 they will all be made in Canada with the exception of Flint Mica (Thunder Cloud Edition) that is still made in Japan. Mine was made in Canada. Just pick mine up 2 weeks ago and yes, there is an assembly quality issue. Mine has an overspray of white paint on the rear bumper and rear bumper is not lined up perfectly. I've alreay ask the Dealer to fix it and they will check it out next Monday.

icings
Old 03-03-05, 12:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Thanks All!
What's wrong with getting an RX that's built at the Canadian Lexus plant? I do know that all RX400h's will be built in Japan for the next year or two anyways. I toured the Lexus plant in Cambridge, Ontario.........I'll take an RX from that plant any day!
Old 03-03-05, 10:34 AM
icings
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
What's wrong with getting an RX that's built at the Canadian Lexus plant? I do know that all RX400h's will be built in Japan for the next year or two anyways. I toured the Lexus plant in Cambridge, Ontario.........I'll take an RX from that plant any day!
I agreed. You will have a couple of percent of Lexus or any manufacturers, for that matter, to have minor assembly quality issues. It's normal. It just depends on your luck.
Old 03-03-05, 11:05 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by icings
I agreed. You will have a couple of percent of Lexus or any manufacturers, for that matter, to have minor assembly quality issues. It's normal. It just depends on your luck.
Yeah, I'd be more worried about what day of the week it was built on than what country it was built in.
Old 03-03-05, 11:22 AM
RXGOLD
Rookie

Originally Posted by icings
My salesman told me that starting 2005 they will all be made in Canada with the exception of Flint Mica (Thunder Cloud Edition) that is still made in Japan. Mine was made in Canada. Just pick mine up 2 weeks ago and yes, there is an assembly quality issue. Mine has an overspray of white paint on the rear bumper and rear bumper is not lined up perfectly. I've alreay ask the Dealer to fix it and they will check it out next Monday.

icings
Well, if that's the case. Then, Lexus is screwed!!!

I will take any car made in Japan but not outside of Japan. Lexus better think twice about that. Look at the Acuca MDX which is also made in Canada, they are also having issues as well.

Quick Reply: Can you specify a Japan build RX330 when ordering from dealer?