RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

about to purchase question and question on satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 12:04 PM
drewpsb70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to purchase question and question on satellite radio

hello,

am about to purchase a new RX and the dealer said they can install XM

anyone know if it'll be a cleaner install than say if i did it after market?

also here's a technical question

prefer sirius over xm

if i have the dealer install xm can i switch it over to sirius once lexus gets its act together and approve sirius also?

please help!

first lexus purchase and really nervous!

thanks
Old 03-01-05, 01:46 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The car manufacturers are roughly split between the two Satelite Radio providers, XM and Sirius. XM has GM, Toyota, Honda, and several others. Sirius has Ford, Daimler Chrysler, and several others. Only a few manufacturers do dealer-installations or at-the-port installations of both brands.

I think you have to ask yourself how much you really want Sirius instead of XM. From what I understand, they are fairly close, with XM having the upper hand on music, Sirius having better talk, and one or the other being better in sports, depending on which sports you prefer. XM has major league baseball, NASCAR (until 2007), and college sports. Sirius has major league football and NASCAR (starting in 2007). They're both fantastic compared to AM/FM radio.

I have XM in my RX and love it. I think the dealer-installation would be a nicer installation than aftermarket. In a year or two I think Lexus will have factory-installed XM in all their models. From what I've read, I don't think planning on switching between XM and Sirius is the way to consider going.

Enjoy your RX!
Old 03-01-05, 03:21 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I would say XM over Sirus

I too have XM, and the only thing I don't like is that, XM being the very slight leader against Sirius,
XM didn't jump on the NFL and NBA list, but I do like the Music choices that XM offers and price too. Talking a couple dollars a month, but I am on the Family plan with both vehicles running XM.

I have the Roady 2 in the Lexus and the Skifi Myfi portable in the Beemer. I love the Skifi, it is portable, can record programing and has a super strong FM modulator. With it I don't notice a difference in quality compared to my stock Am/FM/ CD player. The Roady 2 uses the tape deck interface which is the better quality.

I had a different version in my Old lexus which was aftermarket install and was very clean. I do like the new antennas, it is much smaller and much better in reception.

Then again it is all in preference.
Old 03-01-05, 07:10 PM
gekisai29
Driver

most often the dealer will have the work done off premises so you can't talk to the acual installer to get a feeling as to their skill. also it will cost more. on the other hand there will be no breacj of warranty issues with a dealer install
Old 03-01-05, 07:42 PM
claud
Driver School Candidate

This is an area where Lexus truly sucks. My 2004 Acura TL has XM standard. They even give you 3 months . XM is integrated with the audio system. I just push a button and say " XM channel 70" and it goes to the channel. I do love my TL. I hope the new IS can compete.
Old 03-02-05, 03:59 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy The car won't start, but the phone works great . . .

A word of caution about aftermarket installers:

Scene: Lexus Service Driveway, Exterior, Night, late March, 2000
A flatbed has just unloaded a beautiful new black LS on the ramp and several servicemen gather to push it inside. Upon inquiry, the Service Manager explains:

"We had this called in this afternoon and sent a man over to investigate. The new owner took it into (a local cell phone dealer) to have his phone installed, and they drilled into a wiring bundle. It took out the body computer and a good deal of the wiring harness, also took out the ECM. We've got a lot of circuit tracing to do, but right now, we think the car's entire electrical system may be fried. . . "

(fadeout)

Before it was all over, the owner paid nearly $13,000 for repairs and was working on a lawsuit.

Yes, he was an attorney.

Moral: Ask to see insurance documents when you take your Lexus into an aftermarket shop. I dodged a bullet myself when I decided to have the dealer install a mount for my autodesk on the floorboard of my '00 RX. I marked where I wanted it and they called an hour later wanting to know if they could move it a few inches . . . it seems that my marked location was right over the brake lines, and I could have nicked one while drilling the mounting holes, thanks to my poor measurement. Thank you, Lexus!
Old 03-02-05, 09:37 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by drewpsb70
hello,

am about to purchase a new RX and the dealer said they can install XM

anyone know if it'll be a cleaner install than say if i did it after market?

also here's a technical question

prefer sirius over xm

if i have the dealer install xm can i switch it over to sirius once lexus gets its act together and approve sirius also?

please help!

first lexus purchase and really nervous!

thanks
The first thing you should ask the dealer is if the satellite radio interface uses FM modulation or if it's hardwired to the audio system. If it's FM modulation, you might want to hold off for a while. While FM modulation in principle is ok, the sound quality is nothing near cd quality since it's converted from a digital signal to an analog FM signal. A hardwired setup (i.e. wired directly to the audio system) will give you the best quality, and if your Lexus dealer will do this, then go for it. VAIS Tech is currently working on a hardwired adapter for satellite radio and mp3 players, but it's not finished as of yet for the RX330. This device is simple enough to install for most any stereo shop.

As for Sirius vs XM, I prefer Sirius myself and that's why I'm waiting for the VAIS adapter. But to answer your question, no you can't simply change the satellite provider without changing the satellite receiver in your car.
Old 03-02-05, 01:00 PM
drewpsb70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlintRX
The first thing you should ask the dealer is if the satellite radio interface uses FM modulation or if it's hardwired to the audio system. If it's FM modulation, you might want to hold off for a while. While FM modulation in principle is ok, the sound quality is nothing near cd quality since it's converted from a digital signal to an analog FM signal. A hardwired setup (i.e. wired directly to the audio system) will give you the best quality, and if your Lexus dealer will do this, then go for it. VAIS Tech is currently working on a hardwired adapter for satellite radio and mp3 players, but it's not finished as of yet for the RX330. This device is simple enough to install for most any stereo shop.
As for Sirius vs XM, I prefer Sirius myself and that's why I'm waiting for the VAIS adapter. But to answer your question, no you can't simply change the satellite provider without changing the satellite receiver in your car.
thanks for all the replies

really helps

bought it last night Flint AWD