RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

It's Official - Porsche Cayenne gets RX400h hybrid system

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 05:58 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Official - Porsche Cayenne gets RX400h hybrid system

Porsche confirms petrol-electric Cayenne

Porsche is planning to produce a petrol-electric version of the Cayenne off-roader using hybrid technology purchased from Toyota. Speaking at the Detroit show, chairman Wendelin Wiedeking said Porsche wanted to boost the Cayenne’s appeal through hybrid technology.

‘At the moment it is the only way to meet future emission regulations,’ he said. The hybrid Cayenne would likely use a 3.3 V6 and electric motor producing 270bhp — the same system Toyota is preparing to launch the Lexus RX400h.

Wiedeking wouldn’t elaborate on Porsche’s long-term plans, although he admits the German car maker is not in a position to fund an expensive hybrid development program on its own.

At the same time, Wiedeking scotched rumours that Porsche was considering the technology for the 911 or Boxster.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=213120

To japanese bashing german car fans it's a real blow between the eyes
Old 03-08-05, 01:25 PM
shortbear
Driver School Candidate

I hope all cars become hybrids soon. It would be much better for the environment and reduce our reliance on mideast oil.
Old 03-08-05, 01:54 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
To japanese bashing german car fans it's a real blow between the eyes
Old 03-09-05, 08:55 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Too bad it won't improve the Cayenne's appearance.
Old 03-11-05, 12:37 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I think the current Cayennes also weigh around 6000 lbs - add the hybrid powertrain and it should increase. If this is the case, it will be slower and get worse fuel economy than then RX400h.
Old 03-11-05, 02:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
I think the current Cayennes also weigh around 6000 lbs - add the hybrid powertrain and it should increase. If this is the case, it will be slower and get worse fuel economy than then RX400h.
well, not really... It should be same weight or even lighter than their V8 version...

Of course, it is going to be slower and get worse fuel economy, but porsche might tell Toyota to tune it slightly different...
Old 03-11-05, 02:58 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, not really... It should be same weight or even lighter than their V8 version...

Of course, it is going to be slower and get worse fuel economy, but porsche might tell Toyota to tune it slightly different...
Why would it be lighter than the Cayenne S? I just did a quick check that showed the Cayenne S to be 4949 lbs. After removing the current powertrain and adding the hybrid powertrain and batteries, I would expect this number to only increase. I can't imagine the Toyota 3.3 V6 + transmission + electric motors + batteries weigh less than the Porsche's V8 and transmission.

Is there some other aspect that I'm missing?
Old 03-14-05, 05:11 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No Driveshaft to the rear wheels

The Hybrid battery back weighs about a hundred pounds. I don't know what the 3.3 V6 weighs in comparison the V8. You eliminate the alternator, power steering pump and driveshaft down the center. The CVT is lighter than a conventional transmission. You add the weight of the power transformer/inverter. The three electric motor/generators have extra weight to add. I agree with SpWolf that it would probably weigh slightly more than the regular Cayenne. This shouldn't matter under slower acceleration because the gas engine will be off. It will definitely improve the City mileage. Not sure about the heavy foot drivers though......
Old 03-15-05, 08:16 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by shortbear
I hope all cars become hybrids soon. It would be much better for the environment and reduce our reliance on mideast oil.
That is, until the batteries wear down. Hybrids get their best gas mileage when they are brand new. Then gradually, the capacity of the batteries decreases, until after a number of years, unless you buy a new battery pack, you have what is essentially no longer a hybrid. Not so much of an issue with an RX 400H, but if you have a Prius, then it becomes a bigger issue.
Old 03-17-05, 09:16 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Prius has a little battery and motor/generator

and it uses a chain drive and has a single planetary gearset vs. two on the RX400h with the direct drive. The battery is warrantied for 8 years 100,000 miles and anything you think about Lead/Acid batteries does not apply to the Nickel/Hydride Alkaline which has a protective system to keep it from fully discharging. The battery is designed to last the life of the car but if what you said occured you could replace it for free anyway....A barrel of oil is over $57 now and world wide consumption is rising so either get a hybrid or pay as you go at the pump. Better buy some Oil Company stock as a hedge too.