RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Break-in period for new RX 330?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 03:44 PM
BevoBarry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in period for new RX 330?

Hi, folks...new to the forum and soon to be a proud owner of a 2005 Thundercloud RX...due to arrive at the dealer in a week to 10 days. I know this information will be in the owner's manual, but if y'all could answer this for me now, I'd appreciate it (it will help my planning for some trips that are upcoming real soon). Is there an offical break-in period recommended for the RX 330? If so, for how many miles? Any speed during that time you are not supposed to exceed? Thanks!
Old 03-13-05, 05:59 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to CL! Congrats on your new Thundercloud! I believe you're the first one on this board w/ that model.

As far as break-in, what I did:

First 1,000 miles, no fast accelerating, don't go faster than 60 and take it easy on the brakes. After 1,001... DRIVE IT!
Old 03-13-05, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations on the new ride. Welcome to CL. You will learn a lot here....and no doubt you will have much to share with US.

For a normal gas-engine RX330 (the Hybrids may be different)

For the first 1000 miles:

1. Vary engine speed up and down ........do NOT exceed 4000 RPM.
2. No full throttle or brake-torque, drag-race type starts or full-throttle acceleration.
3. No hard or panic braking except in an emergency.
4. No steady engine RPM for long periods...like Interstate cruising for hours at the same speed.
5. Consider an oil and filter change at 1000-1500 miles to get the shavings and impurities out.
This will not be in the Owner's Manual but will be good for the engine and prolong its life.
Then you can go to the regular 3000-5000 mile intervals.
6. if you decide to use synthetic oil, do NOT use it for at least several thousand miles. Using it in a brand-new engine (unless the factory specifically puts it in like on Corvettes and Vipers) can prevent a proper break-in due to the excessive slipperiness and extremely low friction of synthetic oil.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-05 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 08:55 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MMarshall gives excellent advice

The RX330 engine has very fine tolerances and doesn't require an oil change for 5,000 miles. If it will help you sleep better then go ahead and change it earlier if you want to. The 5 K service is paid for already so the next oil change will be on you. I have had excellent results with synthetic oils and they are the way to go. Bring your own if the dealer doesn't stock the 5W-30 Mobil 1 for new engines. Use a factory filter of course. I have never had a problem with breaking in the engines so the guildelines are somewhat flexible. If you need to take a trip the first weekend you have your new RX then go for it. Try to vary the RPM's, that's all. One nice thing about Lexus is you don't really have to baby them. Get to know your features like the little button in the glove box that can disable the motorized rear door and look at the Lexus Personalized Setting list and have it customized to your liking. The more you drive this incredible car the more enthused you will be so enjoy many happy miles!
Old 03-17-05, 02:02 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockville
The RX330 engine has very fine tolerances and doesn't require an oil change for 5,000 miles. If it will help you sleep better then go ahead and change it earlier if you want to. The 5 K service is paid for already so the next oil change will be on you. I have had excellent results with synthetic oils and they are the way to go. Bring your own if the dealer doesn't stock the 5W-30 Mobil 1 for new engines. Use a factory filter of course. I have never had a problem with breaking in the engines so the guildelines are somewhat flexible. If you need to take a trip the first weekend you have your new RX then go for it. Try to vary the RPM's, that's all. One nice thing about Lexus is you don't really have to baby them. Get to know your features like the little button in the glove box that can disable the motorized rear door and look at the Lexus Personalized Setting list and have it customized to your liking. The more you drive this incredible car the more enthused you will be so enjoy many happy miles!
Just curious, why do I want to disable my automatic rear door?
Old 04-24-05, 12:29 PM
dasadler
Driver School Candidate

You might not want a valet to be able to open it from the dashboard with the glove compartment locked.

...........Yeah, I know.
Old 04-24-05, 03:37 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

When driving off–road or in rugged terrain, do not drive at excessive speeds, jump, make sharp turns, strike objects, etc. This may cause loss of control or vehicle rollover causing death or serious injury. You are also risking expensive damage to your vehicle’s suspension and chassis. Do not drive horizontally across steep slopes. Driving straight up or straight down is preferred. Your vehicle (or any similar off–road vehicle) can tip over sideways much more easily than forward or backward.

BREAK–IN PERIOD Drive gently and avoid high speeds. You need not follow a break–in schedule with your new Lexus. But following a few simple tips for the first 1600 km (1000 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle: Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving. Avoid racing the engine. Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles). Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow. Do not tow a trailer during the first 800 km (500 miles).

If you have the VIN, go to lexus.com, register as an owner, and read the online manual.