RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Adaptive Front Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 01:16 AM
HollyA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Front Lighting

i have a 04 RX330 with premium plus package.. with the xenon lights... so it should come with AFS right, how the hedlights turn a certain degree while your making a turn. I looked through the whole manual and found this section that describe the AFS and it says that there is a switch above the fuel door button so that I can turn it off if i want to. However, i went and checked and theres no switch to turn that off?? Am i missing something or does the 04 not come with that?!?! I even tried to take my car to a dark windy road and it doesn't seem like the headlight turns. I've test drove a new 5 series and it's really obvious that the headlights follow while you're making a turn, does the Lexus AFS work differently?

Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-23-05, 02:13 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is an option in the 04. I know my 04 Premium Plus package does not have AFS. However, it does have auto leveling HIDs.
Old 03-23-05, 02:47 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turning Head(lights)s (pun intended)

Well, I have an 04 RX with AFS and it works great. They turn more to the left when you turn left than they do when you turn right. It has something to do with how well you see from the driver's seat. Yes there is a button just above the gas door button, if you don't have one and your lights aren't turning then you might not have that as on option. But they do work great. What other options do you have on your premium package?
Old 03-23-05, 03:42 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

For me, the premium plus package had the HID with auto leveling, rain sensing wipers, and remote control hatch. I also have the full wood package with steering wheel and shift ****. That is pretty much all I can think of.
Old 03-23-05, 05:00 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this option comes only with the performance package.
Old 03-23-05, 09:47 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AFS is an option on the 2004 model. Like shikbas said you will have to get the performance package to get that.

2005 AFS comes with the Premium Plus package.
AFS rocks!
Old 03-23-05, 12:28 PM
HollyA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
Well, I have an 04 RX with AFS and it works great. They turn more to the left when you turn left than they do when you turn right. It has something to do with how well you see from the driver's seat. Yes there is a button just above the gas door button, if you don't have one and your lights aren't turning then you might not have that as on option. But they do work great. What other options do you have on your premium package?
I have the premium plus package..... leather, power rear door, xenon, wood//leather steering, moonroof, roof rack, tilt/telescopic etc..

hmm i thought afs comes with xenon?! but i guess not.. maybe its only on the 05s? damn lexus!! u think it can be added on?

are there different packages for different regions? i'm in ca
Old 03-23-05, 12:40 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HollyA
I have the premium plus package..... leather, power rear door, xenon, wood//leather steering, moonroof, roof rack, tilt/telescopic etc..

hmm i thought afs comes with xenon?! but i guess not.. maybe its only on the 05s? damn lexus!! u think it can be added on?

Lexus introduced the AFS HID on the Premium Plus pkg. for the 2005 as part of the standard option.

I'm sure you can add the AFS on to your existing HID lights...but it wil cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$.

In California, most 2005 RX's are premium plus pkg. That's their min. base model.
Old 03-23-05, 04:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HollyA

There are somewhat different options available in different regions. For example, navigation in not offered in my region/state. Because of that, we don't get the rear entertainment DVD system, or or the reverse camera option. When the 330 fist came out we couldn't get the performance package and we could not get the 18" rim option either. About the best we got was the Premium Plus with Mark Levinson option.
Old 03-24-05, 03:39 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Default Interesting

Like I said mine is on 04 with , AFS, HIDS w/ auto leveling, Polished Graphites, Air suspension ( which I am not sure if that is a standard option), Rain sensing wipers, power rear hatch, Lighted door steps, Power Telescoping Steering wheel, radio controls on steering wheel, surprisingly no wood shift ****( that I order seperate with the body kit) or steering wheel, and anything else I can't remember right now....lol. So the AFS did come with the 04, and maybe it isn't available with the Xenons ( which is another thing I don't know if the lexus uses, I think they use HIDS, cause my Beemer has Xenons and can totally tell the difference, yet both are very bright).
Old 03-24-05, 05:18 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Polished 18-inch graphite wheels, air suspension, AFS, and rain-sensing wipers are the four main features of the "Performance Package". That was the only way to get AFS on the 2004.

The Performance Package did not mix with the Premium Plus Package; thus, no wood steering wheel. There is a lot of overlap in the two packages, so nothing else notable is missing.

Many of the cars with Premium Plus also got shipped with rain-sensing wipers, but that was listed as an option on the sticker. In colder climates, there was an option that combined the rain-sensing wipers with the heated seats.

For 2005, the power back door became standard. (In 2004, it was an option but part of all packages above the basic "Premium".) Also, the wood steering wheel is standard on all models. The six-CD changer became a separate option, although it is still included with the ML audio. Finally, AFS became a part of all packages above the basic "Premium".

Last edited by rxdriver; 03-24-05 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-24-05, 05:56 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

( which is another thing I don't know if the lexus uses, I think they use HIDS, cause my Beemer has Xenons and can totally tell the difference, yet both are very bright).
Xenon and HID is the same thing. HID is High Intensity Discharge lights which is the same D2S or in the case of reflective headlights D2R Xenon gas charged lights (It is actually a mixture of xenon gas and other gases) that ALL manufacturers used. It is either Osram or Phillips who are the OE providors. Anyway, the reason why the HID, or Xenon lights in your BMW seemed brigher is because they probably were. The projector optics in the E39 and X5 were really good and provided a nice bright light.
Old 03-25-05, 03:39 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Default Interesting Facts (thanx)

Yeah , well also the Beemer has the original Blue tint to the lights, that I have noticed, Nissan/Infinity and Honda/Acura have now copied, along with other manufactures are starting to copy as well, but I can usually tell which is which when I see them on the Road. The Lexus HIDS don't have that blue tint, they are more white.
Old 03-25-05, 05:23 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah , well also the Beemer has the original Blue tint to the lights, that I have noticed, Nissan/Infinity and Honda/Acura have now copied, along with other manufactures are starting to copy as well, but I can usually tell which is which when I see them on the Road. The Lexus HIDS don't have that blue tint, they are more white.
The color is all in the optics. Believe me, all D2S and D2R HID/Xenon bulbs are 4100K-4300K. That is approved by the DOT and considered white light. If you notice, all OEM HID/Xenon lights look white on the road. Now, the color shift, or the blue/purple tint is a result of refracted (Is that a word?) light in the HID projector optics. Audi and BMW designed theirs for this effect. The Honda S2000 also has this effect. Since it is becoming a real novalty, it appears other manufacturers are staring to do the same. If you follow HID forums, people have also modified their existing HID projectors to reflect more of that purple/blue light by bending the shield within the projector. Anyway, there is no "Blue" tint on the HID/Xenon bulb in ANY OEM HID/Xenon projector. The only other kelvin rating that I am aware of approved by the DOT is 5000K as replacement OEM bulbs. The reason is as the 4100K bulb ages, its kelvin rating rises (Gets bluer). If you had to replace one of your original HIDs for any reason, a new 4100K would look a lot whiter than the older original on the other side. Thus, if you replace it with a 5000K, it should match a lot better. The Philips Ultinon is 6000K with no tint on the glass, but it is specifically for aftermarket and NOT DOT approved. All those other high kelvin rated HID bulbs you see have a tinted glass with weak light output compared to OEM 4100K.

Oh, one more thing. That color shift, or blue/purple tint is more pronounced in projector HID systems (D2S). Honda/Lexus used to use reflector type HIDs (D2R) until recently when they switched to projector (D2S) systems, thus probably why you notice it more lately. BMW has always used projectors as far as I know.