RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Quality Difference in Japan vs Canada Manufacture?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 09:50 AM
LexFather

Again, a Lexus is a Lexus. We are not dealing with another car company. Look at the horrible quality cars coming out of some plants by luxury car makers.
BMW-X5/Z3/Z4 in S.C. The quality is avg at best.
Benz-ML (and the new G-wagon). The ML is one of the worst quality cars in history. This is Alabama.
Acura-TL/CL (and the new RDX SUV). Tranny issues and quality issues that the Japanese made TL did not have. To this day these issues are not 100% fixed. This is Ohio.
Infiniti-the QX56 has atrocious quality for a new luxury SUV, built in Mississippi.

It maybe easy to say a car built in North America is going to have poor quality but I don't believe that. The Camry and Accord are 2 example of cars with great quality built here.

I firmly believe and Lexus HAS proven, quality is truly their #1 commitment. Its in Lexus heritage and blood. So no matter where they are built, the Lexus philosohphy will prevail.

At first I too, was against a N.A Lexus plant but as I read more and more about the company, it is clear, it doesn't matter where the cars/SUVs are built.

Lexus has simply built up too much of a reputation for the highest quality product to throw that away. I am sure they did tons of research and studies on the N.A plant like they do everything.
Old 04-22-05, 09:55 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, a Lexus is a Lexus. We are not dealing with another car company. Look at the horrible quality cars coming out of some plants by luxury car makers.
BMW-X5/Z3/Z4 in S.C. The quality is avg at best.
Benz-ML (and the new G-wagon). The ML is one of the worst quality cars in history. This is Alabama.
Acura-TL/CL (and the new RDX SUV). Tranny issues and quality issues that the Japanese made TL did not have. To this day these issues are not 100% fixed. This is Ohio.
Infiniti-the QX56 has atrocious quality for a new luxury SUV, built in Mississippi.

It maybe easy to say a car built in North America is going to have poor quality but I don't believe that. The Camry and Accord are 2 example of cars with great quality built here.

I firmly believe and Lexus HAS proven, quality is truly their #1 commitment. Its in Lexus heritage and blood. So no matter where they are built, the Lexus philosohphy will prevail.

At first I too, was against a N.A Lexus plant but as I read more and more about the company, it is clear, it doesn't matter where the cars/SUVs are built.

Lexus has simply built up too much of a reputation for the highest quality product to throw that away. I am sure they did tons of research and studies on the N.A plant like they do everything.
Well said 1SICK, I couldn't agree more! Hopefully the subject can be dropped now.........I hope.
Old 04-22-05, 10:39 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Still Are Dealing A Car Company That Produces Defects

Again, a Lexus is a Lexus. We are not dealing with another car company.

It would appear that some people who have visited a car manufacturing plant, or read about a plant, seem to think that's the same as running a manufacturing plant. It's not the same thing, anymore than visiting a shiny new airplane factory somehow proves that everything that plant makes is perfect. Unless you are in the manufacturing business, and understand the problems and challenges inherent in such work, you're not going to be able to grasp the intangibles that come from having actually been involved in the daily operational issues and challenges.

Meanwhile, as to sterling Lexus quality, I guess you guys are forgetting about 2002 -2004 ES cars with transmission hesitation problems. The care suddenly loses power while driving slowly, through an intersection typically, then a moment or two later, slams into gear. Some people have narrowly avoided serious accidents. Oh yeah, it's affecting RX's too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm
Old 04-22-05, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Legendman
It would appear that some people who have visited a car manufacturing plant, or read about a plant, seem to think that's the same as running a manufacturing plant. It's not the same thing, anymore than visiting a shiny new airplane factory somehow proves that everything that plant makes is perfect. Unless you are in the manufacturing business, and understand the problems and challenges inherent in such work, you're not going to be able to grasp the intangibles that come from having actually been involved in the daily operational issues and challenges.

Meanwhile, as to sterling Lexus quality, I guess you guys are forgetting about 2002 -2004 ES cars with transmission hesitation problems. The care suddenly loses power while driving slowly, through an intersection typically, then a moment or two later, slams into gear. Some people have narrowly avoided serious accidents. Oh yeah, it's affecting RX's too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm
I agree that visiting a plant does not mean its a perfect plant, they won't take visitors to problem areas.
Concerning Lexus sterling quality, its not perfect and to expect that is silly. But they are the closest to being pefect with quality, in comparison with anyone else. Here are TONS of charts and date to prove. This is common knowledge now.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=infiniti

Yes, I think Lexus/Toyota is giving software updates to try to fix the issue. And guess what, seems some of those cars are made in Japan

Lets not argue tranny issues. Near accidents is nothing compared to the Acura owners that have posted they HAVE gotten into accidents with a FAILED tranny.

Here are the best plants according to JD Power

Old 04-23-05, 08:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

That why Lexus' slogan is: The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection.
Old 04-23-05, 09:55 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Default The Pusuit of Perfection

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
That why Lexus' slogan is: The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection.

"Pursuit" being the operative word.

Well, I hope they are relentlessly pursuing a fix to the "hesitation" problem before someone gets killed. A recent post on another web site reflected the owner's belief that his auto accident was due in large measure to power cutting out at a critical moment as he was negotiating an intersection.

According to the two dealers I have spoken to thus far, there still is no fix to the transmission problem. As to dropping the subject, I will be happy to do so as soon as this problem is corrected, but not before. This is a serious issue to many, and not about bragging rights as to who makes a better car -- Lexus or Acura.

Given the number of cars involved, and the potential for a nasty dent to Lexus' reputation, I am rather dubious that a service campaign will be forthcoming anytime soon. But only time will tell -- whether Lexus will do the right thing, or the Ford Pinto thing.

Last edited by Legendman; 04-23-05 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-24-05, 11:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
(besides the stereotype 'Hockey, cold, snow & Mounties"!.....I'd be impressed if you did).
I don't recall that I ever used those stereotype terms on Canadians. Please don't make things up and just stick to the facts. I use the CR survey as the base of my concern. FWIW, some CR subscribers are Canadians and they contribute to the survey results.

Here are the facts:
RX300 - always excellent reliability rating (only made in Japan)
New Highlander = excellent reliability rating (only made in Japan)
RX330 - above average reliability rating (made in both Japan and Cambridge)
So what happens if CR separates the Japan RX330 from Cambridge RX330?

The current Lexus slogan is "The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection."

Note the JD Power award given to the Cambridge plant was in 2001 and it's for cars only. It is irrelevant to the RX330 production. It would be nice to see 2004 or 2005 JD Power award listing, though how JD Power determine its award is a mystery. Just about any car maker can get some kind of award from JD Power. They sure make everybody happy.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-24-05 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 08:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
The current Lexus slogan is "The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection."
The Lexus slogan is still "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" in Canada, and just "The Pursuit of Perfection " in the UK

. . . though how JD Power determine its award is a mystery. . .
If you go to their website & look, they have explanations of how they determine their rankings & awards. Whether you agree with their methodology or not is another matter.

Just about any car maker can get some kind of award from JD Power. They sure make everybody happy.
That's not even remotely true at all if you look through all the awards they' ve given in the past.
Old 04-25-05, 11:53 AM
700t
Driver School Candidate

TMMC has produced over 100k RX330 to date and seems to me if they were that much worse than the ones from Japan, this thread and website would be jammed with complaints and issues.
Old 04-25-05, 01:20 PM
LexFather

I am sure if you could payoff JDPower, Benz, Nissan and VW would have years ago (to name a few) since they all have below average reliablity.
Old 04-25-05, 03:02 PM
krpster
Rookie

Obviously this is a very emotionally loaded topic and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, a valuable opinion is usually backed by facts. So far I have not seen much of this in this thread (mostly conjecture) so here is a brief summary of some facts relating to this topic, more specifically with respect to the two manufacturing facilities (TMMC in Canada and TMK Kuyshu in Japan)

Manufacturing Experience:
TMMC start of operations: 1988
Kuyshu start of operations: 1992

Quality reputation:
Based on J.D. Power IQS (Initial Quality Survey) results for plant quality

TMMC
1991 Gold
1992 Silver
1993 Bronze
1995 Gold
1996 Gold
2000 Bronze
2001 Gold

Kyushu (car)
2000 Platinum
2001 Platinum

Kyushu (truck)
2001 Bronze
2002 Bronze

Recent field issues based on T.S.I.B's

Total TSIB specific to 2004 RX330: 32
Total that apply to TMMC: 20
Total that apply to Kuyshu: 28

Who builds a better car is hard to say but these are the facts.

Last edited by krpster; 04-25-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 05:02 PM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

Default Cambridge RX 330

I've got a RX made in Canada and although I was upset at the fact that they wanted to replace the rad in my unit, it has been a super vehicle, and is built better than anything made by the infamous "Big 3" or by that other plant in Alliston.
I looked at the Acura before the Lexus and that's why I have the Lexus. I'd buy another one tomorrow if mine was stolen tonight.
Old 04-25-05, 09:41 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure if you could payoff JDPower, Benz, Nissan and VW would have years ago (to name a few) since they all have below average reliablity.
For vehicles with subpar reliabilities, JD Power provides either "most appealing" or "initial quality" award (90-day only.) It goes out of its way to make every car maker happy.

All I read are false accusation and attempts to deviate from the topic. I say this thread needs to be closed.
Old 04-26-05, 06:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by Legendman
"Pursuit" being the operative word.
Of course it's the operative word, no car maker has produced the perfect car yet.
Old 04-26-05, 06:13 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The Lexus slogan is still "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" in Canada, and just "The Pursuit of Perfection " in the UK

If you go to their website & look, they have explanations of how they determine their rankings & awards. Whether you agree with their methodology or not is another matter.

That's not even remotely true at all if you look through all the awards they' ve given in the past.
Well said AmethSC!

It's best if 'some' people are just 'ignored' too. This Japan vs. Canada stupidity is getting seriously old!

Quick Reply: Quality Difference in Japan vs Canada Manufacture?