RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor Mileage on 2005 RX330 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 11:20 PM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poor Mileage on 2005 RX330 AWD

My car is a couple of weeks old now and so far gas mileage is abysmal. I am averaging less than 12 mpg. Sometimes it may go as high as 13.4 mpg. This is not good.

I am have read (on the 'net) opinions which claim that a new engine does not get the optimum mileage -- whether that's really true I don't know -- but this is ridiculous!

I have been using Premium octane fuel, and the tires are properly inflated.

What are you other owners getting in miles per gallon -- city, highway, etc?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-05, 11:44 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i average 18+ on normal daily driving, about 60% local/40% highway, and maybe average of 10 minutes of traffic per workday. i live in san diego, and my commute to the office is about 13 miles one-way.

on my trips to LA, i average 23-24 mpg on my round trip. i haven't changed the OEM setup, and i use premium also. i even have thule ski racks on top of my RX which i have been too lazy to remove since ski season, and i lose about 1mpg on average from the reduction in aerodynamics. they are coming off as soon as i find those dang keys.
Old 04-25-05, 03:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Legendman
My car is a couple of weeks old now and so far gas mileage is abysmal. I am averaging less than 12 mpg. Sometimes it may go as high as 13.4 mpg. This is not good.

I am have read (on the 'net) opinions which claim that a new engine does not get the optimum mileage -- whether that's really true I don't know -- but this is ridiculous!

I have been using Premium octane fuel, and the tires are properly inflated.

What are you other owners getting in miles per gallon -- city, highway, etc?

Thanks.
Is this all stop and go driving? 12-13 seems very poor. I get a higher rating with my GX. You might want to bring it into the dealer.
Old 04-25-05, 05:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I just returned from a 3,000 mile trip with the RX 330. I was getting around 25 MPG on the highway at a steady 75 MPH with a heavily loaded vehicle. In my daily rural driving I get around 22 MPG. Granted I am never at WOT but I don't dog it either.
Old 04-25-05, 05:22 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With a 4-mile, stop-and-go commute, I'm getting about 16 mpg. On highway trips, it's up around 22-23. Using the cheap 87 gas - it works fine.
Old 04-25-05, 07:19 AM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

The first week I had the RX, it was avg 16mpg. Now three weeks in, I am getting between 17-18mpg. That's with 90% city/local driving. I am looking forward to taking it on a nice 500 mile drive up to Canada, so I will find out what kind of mpg I will get when it is mostly highway.
Old 04-25-05, 07:45 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I generally get right at or just over 18 mpg in the city. On a highway trip (highway, NOT interstate) generally averaging 64 mph ... I get 24.5 mpg or so (not driving into or with the wind). On an Interstate trip (75 to 80 mph) I'll get just over 22 mpg generally. I have an AWD version. I generally use 89 or 87 octane.
Old 04-25-05, 01:44 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get an average of 21mpg. Combination of city and highway using Plus Unleaded (middle grade).
The computer is somewhat accurate off by .5 mpg. I did the calculation manually.

Last edited by Lextranny; 04-25-05 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 02:01 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

My reports were from the computer ... if I check manually it (the computer) always seems about 0.6-0.8 mpg high.
Old 04-25-05, 02:42 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Husker4the
My reports were from the computer ... if I check manually it (the computer) always seems about 0.6-0.8 mpg high.
Same with me. The computer is consistently high. It was the same with my '01 Highlander, and the '04 and '05 RX's.
Old 04-25-05, 05:09 PM
CarsFreak
Driver School Candidate

My Sienna's gas mileage (3.3L V6 w/ VVT-i) was abysmal during the first couple months of onwership and as winter approached it only went downhill. My worst mileage ever recorded was 13MPG during a cold spell in January. Keep in mind that I have a FWD version of the car.

As spring approached, I've finally noticed my gas milege getting a tad bit better. I took the car into NYC recently and was stuck in constant stop and go with the A/C on for about an hour. Plus some idle. Total mileage for that tank was a 70/30 city/highway which resulted in 18MPG. I haven't gotten 18MPG since I took the car on a 50/50 city/highway trip with idle in January. So the increase in city traveling and resulting in same gas mileage indicates it can get better.

My Sienna has close to 3000 miles on it. I say there is hope. Your RX AWD will might never get the... 18MPG in the city alone but it might improve over some miles.

Oh and my trip computer has overestimated by as much as .5 MPG and has underestimated by as much as 1.2MPG. Weird.
Old 04-25-05, 07:01 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally Posted by CarsFreak
My Sienna's gas mileage (3.3L V6 w/ VVT-i) was abysmal during the first couple months of onwership and as winter approached it only went downhill. My worst mileage ever recorded was 13MPG during a cold spell in January. Keep in mind that I have a FWD version of the car.

As spring approached, I've finally noticed my gas milege getting a tad bit better. I took the car into NYC recently and was stuck in constant stop and go with the A/C on for about an hour. Plus some idle. Total mileage for that tank was a 70/30 city/highway which resulted in 18MPG. I haven't gotten 18MPG since I took the car on a 50/50 city/highway trip with idle in January. So the increase in city traveling and resulting in same gas mileage indicates it can get better.

My Sienna has close to 3000 miles on it. I say there is hope. Your RX AWD will might never get the... 18MPG in the city alone but it might improve over some miles.

Oh and my trip computer has overestimated by as much as .5 MPG and has underestimated by as much as 1.2MPG. Weird.
You likely live in an area that gets winter-blend fuel to reduce emissions. Your gas mileage magically increased in March because the place you buy gas was getting the summer-blend fuel again. My mileage decreases ~1.5 mpg from November through February, and increases again starting in March; it's been that way ever since the FEDS mandated reduced-emissions fuels in the winter for certain areas of the country.
Old 04-26-05, 01:58 PM
CarsFreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayskinner
You likely live in an area that gets winter-blend fuel to reduce emissions. Your gas mileage magically increased in March because the place you buy gas was getting the summer-blend fuel again. My mileage decreases ~1.5 mpg from November through February, and increases again starting in March; it's been that way ever since the FEDS mandated reduced-emissions fuels in the winter for certain areas of the country.
I did't know that. Does anybody know if NorthEastern Jersey get this fuel? I use usually Sunoco, BP or ExXon.
Old 04-26-05, 05:24 PM
Rx13
Driver School Candidate

Figuring mileage manually and not going by the trip computer I run a strong 23 mpg on hwy runs at 70 - 75. Have a friend who reports similar mileage.
Only way to check mileage is by running full to full and taking an average over a fairly good number of miles.
Old 04-26-05, 08:02 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally Posted by CarsFreak
I did't know that. Does anybody know if NorthEastern Jersey get this fuel? I use usually Sunoco, BP or ExXon.
Do a google search on "oxygenated fuel" and read all about it. It doesn't matter what brand it is. In major population areas, the EPA has mandated the use of oxygenated fuels to reduce emissions in the winter. Oxygenated fuel from November to March is the culprit, reducing your mileage by 1.5 mpg or so.

Quick Reply: Poor Mileage on 2005 RX330 AWD