RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 04:17 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly concur on the engine quiet-noise level and starter, though I at least have the standing noise from the injectors other have noted too, for which I believe there is TSB for the 330, and maybe 300 now ? I also have noted the road wind noise, more noticeable on the '03 than the '99 for some reason, imo.
Old 05-05-05, 05:35 AM
stllex88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly question here. What noise if any does your dash make if you push down directly on the instrument pod. Mine make a terrible squeak. It also makes terrible squeaks if you push on the side defroster trim pieces on the far corners of the dash. Unfortunately, this same squeak gets transmitted over certain bumps. Someone please answer, it is just awful.

I've had it in once, but the dealer didn't want me to show him, they wanted to drive it. It doesn't do it all the time driving, but it does if you push on it (and with hardly any pressure.) It's sad that our new Dodge Ram feels substantially more buttoned down that this Lexus. I have absolutely no compaints except for the damn interior noises.
Old 05-12-05, 04:58 AM
stllex88
Driver

Originally Posted by stllex88
Silly question here. What noise if any does your dash make if you push down directly on the instrument pod. Mine make a terrible squeak. It also makes terrible squeaks if you push on the side defroster trim pieces on the far corners of the dash. Unfortunately, this same squeak gets transmitted over certain bumps. Someone please answer, it is just awful.

I've had it in once, but the dealer didn't want me to show him, they wanted to drive it. It doesn't do it all the time driving, but it does if you push on it (and with hardly any pressure.) It's sad that our new Dodge Ram feels substantially more buttoned down that this Lexus. I have absolutely no compaints except for the damn interior noises.
Anyone? Anyone (again to make 10 characters....)
Old 05-12-05, 10:30 AM
Techman36
Driver School Candidate

Talk to another service rep. If you can't show them the problem, they can't fix it. Its a bit silly that the first guy wouldnt want you to show him, that just makes the job easier to fix.

Go back and show them the problem.
Old 05-12-05, 03:57 PM
parula
Instructor

stllex, find a road, maybe near a different dealer, that'll create the noise and do a test run with the rep in the car.
Old 05-14-05, 09:24 PM
rdsx fan
Driver School Candidate

Default squeak in dash

I just purchased a 02 rx 300 coach edition that had a squeak in the right hand corner of the dash. Luckily the salesperson heard it before I purchased and agreed to fix the problem. When I brought it to service they could not duplicate the sound, so I pulled a TSB on the 99 rx that showed about 6 pages on rattles and squeaks in the rx300. I showed them exactly where the sqeak was and showed them the TSB and they took out the dash and insulated the whole right side of dash with felt. Before when you pressed down on that corner it had alot of give, now that they have fixed it , it feels very secure. So far 5 days and no squeak !!!! It was so annoying !!!!! Other than that I LOVE this car. I am getting so many compliments on it .......
Old 05-15-05, 06:07 AM
parula
Instructor

RD, way to go, mine had that too and they fixed most of it. Sometimes the small tweeter speaker float pads made noise, see if that happens in the future. I have asqueak in that area on the '03 I need looked at.
Old 05-18-05, 06:55 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus Last Stand

Took ours in today for the dash rattle(squick) as it was terrible last week. 3rd time in for this. They only way to stop it was to have my passenger push on the dash with her hands. Of couse, it warmed up today and when we took it in - NO NOISE. But, hay they can take it apart and do whatever to make sure it does not return. WRONG - I get a call late this afternoon that since they can not get it to make the nosie they won't do anything about it. I ask the service guy if he thought I was lying?
Why would I want them to tear out the dash if it was OK??

They decided to keep it overnight outside to see if they can hear it tomorrow AM. If not, I get it back.

If that happens that is our last LEXUS. Might as well spend 1/2 the $$ and have a better vehicle, as far as noise at least. Our Taurus was quitter, & cheaper too.
Old 05-19-05, 04:11 PM
parula
Instructor

yea, they told me they need to hear it to fix it, sort of makes sense but I have a bunch of intermittent rattles I don't think I can reproduce as a demand performance
Old 05-19-05, 06:37 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default They Heard It

They called today and said they heard it this AM.

Now - FIX IT -- PLEASE
Old 05-23-05, 05:50 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default GONE - For now

Picked it up and so far so good. Had it over the weekend so we will give it a little longer before we will pronounce it fixed.
Sure hope this is it as we really love the vehicle otherwise.
Old 06-30-05, 12:29 AM
Rob_Rx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i feel your pain!! i know exactly what you are talking about. my dealer defin thinks i'm a crazy nitpickin nag. i always get the "could not duplicate", and it is frustrating! it's like the second the RX goes in for service, it starts to behave or something.

but now the RX is in tip top shape (with the exception of the occasional rear hatch creaking over speedbumps and driveways), so i am crossing my fingers (and trying very hard not to listen for noises).
lexuslover

I know this is a late reply.. but Are you sure you are not hearing the luggage tonneau. I'm hearing a rattling sound, but I am 100% sure it is the luggage tonneau moving around.
Old 06-30-05, 10:14 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

hi rob, thanks for the reply. it's definitely not the luggage cover b/c i have heard the creaking when the cover is off and stored. i think there were some other threads that reported a similar "twisting" noise, something with the design of the rear hatch that causes this creaking noise when you go over uneven surfaces like entering driveways at an angle or go over speedbumps unevenly.

the luggage cover, however, has started rattling a little bit (the RX is now 2 1/4 years old), so i am going to put some felt padding in the holders and see if that resolves that problem. this is like an ordinary plastic rattle. the creaking i mentioned above is a lot worse, almost like there is something wrong with the hinges or something on the hatch, but apparently, according to lexus, they "cannot duplicate" or think it is normal. oh well!
Old 07-05-05, 05:58 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the rear hatch shifting in the frame when you go up curbs, etc. If you'll notice, the rear hatch has only one latch point at the bottom, plus the two hinges at the top. They really should have designed two latches at the bottom, and then this probably wouldn't happen when the hatch frame flexes. No repair that I know of.
Old 07-05-05, 07:23 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by oseidler
It is the rear hatch shifting in the frame when you go up curbs, etc. If you'll notice, the rear hatch has only one latch point at the bottom, plus the two hinges at the top. They really should have designed two latches at the bottom, and then this probably wouldn't happen when the hatch frame flexes. No repair that I know of.
i think you described it exactly. it's irritating, but probably just a design flaw. not sure if all RX's have it, but perhaps they will come out with some kind of fix for it in the future to insulate the noise.

Quick Reply: Rattles