RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 11:49 AM
starfleet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 RX300 Dash Rattle when AC runs

Our RX developed a "comes and goes" dash rattle that seems to be coming from right behind the display panel. I have narrowed it down to only occurrung when the AC runs. It isn't immediate, but develops over a few minutes. After the vehicle has sat for a while, it disappears again. Is not there at all when the AC is not running. It seems something is super chilling???????

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-08-07, 02:58 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

There's a TSB for rattles on the dash. They install various felt and foam to specific areas which rub. Best thing it to take it to the dealer. They already have a kit for it.
Old 07-11-07, 01:14 PM
starfleet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
There's a TSB for rattles on the dash. They install various felt and foam to specific areas which rub. Best thing it to take it to the dealer. They already have a kit for it.

Thanks for that heads up. Any ideas what the TSB number might be, or what I should expect to pay?
Old 07-11-07, 01:34 PM
rvanwart
Driver School Candidate

I Have A Dash Issue Only On Bumps And It Sounds Like The Instrument Panel Is Moving Causing A Sound Like Plastic Being Squeezed .i Did A Post On This Eailier.would This Fall Under This Tbs Issue ?
Old 07-11-07, 02:14 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by rvanwart
I Have A Dash Issue Only On Bumps And It Sounds Like The Instrument Panel Is Moving Causing A Sound Like Plastic Being Squeezed .i Did A Post On This Eailier.would This Fall Under This Tbs Issue ?
TSB applicable under warranty if car falls under warranty period. Free if under warranty.

Dashboard rattle TSB depends on which model year. 04-05 have plenty of rattles, can not even begin to name the locations.

Where is the rattle located near the bottom of the windshield?

What year do you have?
Old 07-11-07, 02:16 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by starfleet
Our RX developed a "comes and goes" dash rattle that seems to be coming from right behind the display panel. I have narrowed it down to only occurrung when the AC runs. It isn't immediate, but develops over a few minutes. After the vehicle has sat for a while, it disappears again. Is not there at all when the AC is not running. It seems something is super chilling???????

Any ideas? Thanks.
I am sorry, I was talking about the RX330's, not the RX300. You have an RX300.
Old 07-11-07, 11:41 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if my car has rattles.......i always have the radio on so i cant hear anything
Old 07-12-07, 07:32 AM
rvanwart
Driver School Candidate

TSB applicable under warranty if car falls under warranty period. Free if under warranty.

Dashboard rattle TSB depends on which model year. 04-05 have plenty of rattles, can not even begin to name the locations.

Where is the rattle located near the bottom of the windshield?

What year do you have?
It's comes from the behind the streering wheel on the dash around the instrument panel. I have a post going with that topic.
Old 07-17-07, 07:51 AM
starfleet
Driver School Candidate

I am sorry, I was talking about the RX330's, not the RX300. You have an RX300.
Yes. An '02 RX300. The rattle is only present when the A/C has been running. Any TSB's or thoughts on that?
Old 07-17-07, 09:05 AM
mandyfig

Yes. An '02 RX300. The rattle is only present when the A/C has been running. Any TSB's or thoughts on that?
I checked your year, no AC issue recorded on TSB's.
Old 07-20-07, 05:23 PM
oilhead
Driver School Candidate

Default The R in RX stands for rattle

I took my 07 in 3 times for a rattle in the back. The final time, I talked with the Service Manager and told him this would be my last time, next time I would be talking directly with Lexus. They finally got it fixed after that. Something about a bracket on the amplifier I believe. The tech said he was going to post it on the Lexus network for other techs. It was really an annoying noise that was incessant. You should treat it like the relentless pursuit to get them to fix your car the way its supposed to be.
Old 07-20-07, 06:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Over time for those of you who will have your RX330/350s as long as I have my RX300 now, a lot of those rattles will be as a result of the expansion/contraction of the dash with the heat from sunlight. Eventually you just have to get back there and deal with the rattles. I find myself at least once a month looking for the creaks, though they usually don't get loud enough to make me scream.
Old 07-20-07, 07:53 PM
starfleet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Over time for those of you who will have your RX330/350s as long as I have my RX300 now, a lot of those rattles will be as a result of the expansion/contraction of the dash with the heat from sunlight. Eventually you just have to get back there and deal with the rattles. I find myself at least once a month looking for the creaks, though they usually don't get loud enough to make me scream.
Can you please elaborate on how you deal with them?
Old 07-21-07, 04:38 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts

I have a searious creak coming from the roof in the area between the sun roof and the rear hatch. Have had legthy discussions with the selling dealer service manager and Lexus Canada. In order to fully diagnose, the headliner has to come down. To do that, most of the interior of the car needs to be dismantled. I am extremely concerned about the amount of work involved and the ability of whoever does it getting it back together again properly. My dealer uses a 3rd party trim shop who does nothing else than interiros. This includes custom work and high end cars like Lexus, Porsche. Benz, etc. At first I thought that wasn't such a good idea as they may not have the same concept of assembly quality as the dealer. However, after speaking with Lexus, a second dealer who doesn't have the luxury of a good local trim shop (but wishes he did) and my own delaer, we have made an appointment for next week. Apparently when this generation of RX was launched, they tried to source components locally. There were serious issue with the sun roof supplier and many "cartridges" (entire sun roof and mechanism) had to be replaced. This 3rd party trim shop did all that work for my dealer. The service manager tells me this small shop likely knows more about the re-assembly of the car than Lexus does. I guess we'll see next week.
Old 07-21-07, 06:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Can you please elaborate on how you deal with them?
Well, about once a month on a Sunday I push gently and bang along the dash. I also take notes of any creaks I may have heard during the month. Then I literally proceed to seek them out. Most of the time I find them in the glove compartment area or along the steering column (both inside the passenger compartment and in the engine bay). For the latter it gets sprayed down with some carb cleaner and then I had some WD-40. Once a year I add a little grease to the column (timed when I change the PSF fluid (I use Mobil 1 ATF). Now with the glove compartment, I just start taking the area apart.

If you look in the upper left cornr there is a nut and bolt and that is one that I have to tighten several times.

BTW the vehicle's ECU is the white vertical piece to the right of the ECU.

Some of the creaks that I get you may hear in one place, but the sound is caused by a bolt, bracket in another place.
Attached Thumbnails Rattles-img_0524.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rattles