RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 05:17 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Rattles

Hi there,I am so confused with such an expensive car to have all those rattles everywhere,in the dash,in the instrument pannel,in the glove box ,in the doors,and finaly in the back initialy on turning and now alltimes,it comes directly from the r side from the back,nice sequeeling noise.Now I am disappointed to drive the rx 330 because of all those bothering irritating noises.
ANY SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS SPECILYY ABOUT THE BACK NOISE.THANKS
Old 05-03-05, 06:24 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shikbas
Hi there,I am so confused with such an expensive car to have all those rattles everywhere,in the dash,in the instrument pannel,in the glove box ,in the doors,and finaly in the back initialy on turning and now alltimes,it comes directly from the r side from the back,nice sequeeling noise.Now I am disappointed to drive the rx 330 because of all those bothering irritating noises.

hmmm, sounds strange. seems like you really got a lot of factory defect rattles and squeaks. never heard those in the loaners. Glove box rattle, i thought, was fixed after the first gen RX300!
Old 05-03-05, 06:27 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your RX built in Japan or Canada?
Old 05-03-05, 07:15 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It was built in Japan

Last edited by shikbas; 05-03-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 07:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Your profile suggests you have a 2004 RX330. These problems should be covered (or at least explainable) by the dealer. Take the service rep for a test drive to show him/her the noises.
Old 05-03-05, 09:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Getting the "Lexus Experience"!

Hi there,I am so confused with such an expensive car to have all those rattles everywhere . . .
Don't just live with it, go to your dealer, and as several have suggested, get them to do something about it! Don't let them tell you "they all do that" or "that's normal". A few on this forum have had experience with assorted odd rattles, squeaks, and groans, but most of us have never had the problem - and practically all of those who have, complained loud and long enough to get them fixed.

If you do not get satisfaction from your dealer, go to another. Despite the fact that Lexus builds and sells a fine automobile, and their dealer standards are quite high, a few simply don't measure up. Whether they don't know, or chose to ignore the company's committment to service, the folks at corporate have a way of getting their attention! They understand you bought a premium automobile and have a right to the kind of quality you paid for.

If all else fails, contact:

The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

They will ensure that you are getting the real "Lexus Experience" with that new RX! Good luck!
Old 05-03-05, 10:43 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! that's a lot of rattles! I have a 2005 RX330 AWD Made in Japan. I hear very, very little rattling.
The car is way too quiet.....
Old 05-03-05, 11:43 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Dash Rattles

DASH RATTLES since we bought our RX 330 over 1 1/2 years ago. Have had it in 3 times for this with no real fix. It was bad just when cold out but now its bad 100% of the time.

Does it pay to take it in again? The dealer sure tries hard but that is the point, they have tried with no luck.

Has anyone every had it really fixed??
If so, I'd take it in again but otherwise why waste my & the dealers time?

PS - we also stopped in when we were in the area about 2 months ago to have them take it for a ride but "OF COURSE" it did not make a sound. Two days later it was back. If i take it in again they will think we are crazy.
Old 05-03-05, 12:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

You can purchase ear plugs at Rite Aid for 99 cents.

Keep taking it to the dealer, raise hell, throw a fit, so they'll put you on top priority for repair. When it comes to warranty work, squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 05-03-05, 01:17 PM
jfarber
Rookie

I've said in previous posts that the rattles usually happen when it is cold out. It comes from the brake booster check valve, which is near the firewall on the drivers side. The brake booster check valve would need to be redesigned to fix the problem. It happens on all RX330, in cold weather.
Old 05-03-05, 01:58 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
DASH RATTLESPS - we also stopped in when we were in the area about 2 months ago to have them take it for a ride but "OF COURSE" it did not make a sound. Two days later it was back. If i take it in again they will think we are crazy.
i feel your pain!! i know exactly what you are talking about. my dealer defin thinks i'm a crazy nitpickin nag. i always get the "could not duplicate", and it is frustrating! it's like the second the RX goes in for service, it starts to behave or something.

but now the RX is in tip top shape (with the exception of the occasional rear hatch creaking over speedbumps and driveways), so i am crossing my fingers (and trying very hard not to listen for noises).
Old 05-03-05, 03:11 PM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

how many miles before these rattles become apparent? Or is it right away? I have an 05 with 800 miles (assembled in Canada) and am fearfully waiting for some rattles. There is one rattle, but I tied it back to the passenger seat belt buckle hitting the b pillar.
Old 05-03-05, 03:32 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xFire, one really needs to be able to show the dealer where the rattle is; take them for a test ride on a road where you have tested the rattle. We had a lot on the '99, most were in TSBs like Gbox, etc. and I have several on the '03 I haven't taken in yet.

Lextranny, a car can' be too quiet . . . swap ya for one with a few annoying rattles! Otherwise this car is fabulous so I hate to let her go, but . . . .
Old 05-04-05, 07:31 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by parula
Lextranny, a car can' be too quiet . . . swap ya for one with a few annoying rattles! Otherwise this car is fabulous so I hate to let her go, but . . . .
My RX300 is extremely quiet. When I first bought it, I actually cranked the engine while it's running. Now I've learned to check the tach first. My friends are all impressed with the quietness of the engine and the starter. The only noise is the wind noise at highway speed.

And no rattles. Lexus, what a luxury car should be.
Old 05-04-05, 09:40 AM
ehan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jngjng
how many miles before these rattles become apparent? Or is it right away? I have an 05 with 800 miles (assembled in Canada) and am fearfully waiting for some rattles. There is one rattle, but I tied it back to the passenger seat belt buckle hitting the b pillar.
anyone? bueller? anyone?

Quick Reply: Rattles