RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX400h - New purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 04:40 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile RX400h - New purchase

Hello to everyone on this forum.

Last Friday my wife and I spent the entire day driving new cars to find a replacement for hers which is a 2003 Mercedes C230 Coupe. This was the first Mercedes that we have kept until the warranty expired. Mercedes Benz is a great car until this happens.Once the warranty and the complimentary service expires, it gets very expensive, even ridiculous, to maintain. My wife had a 100 mile (round trip) a day commute and accumulated lots of miles in a short time. The warranty expired quickly. (50K) My local Benz dealer has been charging me $450.00 for each scheduled maintenance. Oil, filter, and check the fluids and hoses, etc. A tire rotation is an extra $35.00!! Twice the dealership put too much oil in the engine and had to drain out a quart. I'm thinking did I buy a Kia or what? Once the warranty was over, it seemed that every month the "check engine " light would come on for one reason or another! $90.00 to see what's wrong this time!

We were leaning towards an AWD for future road trips up north in the winter.

Anyway, we drove the following vehicles:
2006 BMW 530xi wagon ( very nice $60k)
2005 Volvo V70 (very comfortable about $45k loaded, no Cross Country available to try)
2006 Mercedes E320Cdi (this really intrigued me because of the great mileage for the diesel but I learned that oil changes would run $150-$250, price loaded, about $60k)
2005 Audi A6 3.2 ( beautiful car with Quattro)
2006 Lexus GS300 (beautiful and we would need the AWD)
2005 Lexus LS430 (awesome car and discounted heavily)
2006 Lexus RX400h (very impressive, nice combination of luxury and practicality)

And now the winner.............................................

Lexus RX400h.

Runs on regular, lots of room, safe, all wheel drive if we go up north, excellent and fairly priced service, good fuel mileage, not too bad to look at, and our local dealership offers free replacement tires as long as we own the car. The dealer had a black one that we test drove and really liked alot, but Florida is a hot place to have a black vehicle. I asked if there were any other colors available and he had a white one with ivory interior, with the ML and the heated seats. Sold at MSRP. Will pick it up sometime this week. I think that this is going to be a neat car and I also believe that if I would wait about six months, that the price would be negotiable.These vehicles are starting to pour into the dealerships.

The German cars may have more of a "personality", but the Japanese are building the most reliable cars right now.

I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty for this vehicle just because of the new technology but I feel pretty confident about Lexus. Any thoughts? The factory warranty seems to be pretty good as is.

Our Rx400h will be sleeping in the garage with our 2003 SC430.

We'll sell the Benz ourselves.

Life is good and you're gonna be dead a long time. You can't take it with you.
If you got it, spend it, and enjoy it!

Gently to you all,

Flatfoot
Central Florida east coast

2006 Rx400h
2003 SC430
1987 Dodge Maxi Van 3500b
Old 06-05-05, 05:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Hello to everyone on this forum.

Last Friday my wife and I spent the entire day driving new cars to find a replacement for hers which is a 2003 Mercedes C230 Coupe. This was the first Mercedes that we have kept until the warranty expired. Mercedes Benz is a great car until this happens.Once the warranty and the complimentary service expires, it gets very expensive, even ridiculous, to maintain. My wife had a 100 mile (round trip) a day commute and accumulated lots of miles in a short time. The warranty expired quickly. (50K) My local Benz dealer has been charging me $450.00 for each scheduled maintenance. Oil, filter, and check the fluids and hoses, etc. A tire rotation is an extra $35.00!! Twice the dealership put too much oil in the engine and had to drain out a quart. I'm thinking did I buy a Kia or what? Once the warranty was over, it seemed that every month the "check engine " light would come on for one reason or another! $90.00 to see what's wrong this time!

We were leaning towards an AWD for future road trips up north in the winter.

Anyway, we drove the following vehicles:
2006 BMW 530xi wagon ( very nice $60k)
2005 Volvo V70 (very comfortable about $45k loaded, no Cross Country available to try)
2006 Mercedes E320Cdi (this really intrigued me because of the great mileage for the diesel but I learned that oil changes would run $150-$250, price loaded, about $60k)
2005 Audi A6 3.2 ( beautiful car with Quattro)
2006 Lexus GS300 (beautiful and we would need the AWD)
2005 Lexus LS430 (awesome car and discounted heavily)
2006 Lexus RX400h (very impressive, nice combination of luxury and practicality)

Lexus RX400h.

Runs on regular, lots of room, safe, all wheel drive if we go up north, excellent and fairly priced service, good fuel mileage, not too bad to look at, and our local dealership offers free replacement tires as long as we own the car. The dealer had a black one that we test drove and really liked alot, but Florida is a hot place to have a black vehicle. I asked if there were any other colors available and he had a white one with ivory interior, with the ML and the heated seats. Sold at MSRP. Will pick it up sometime this week. I think that this is going to be a neat car and I also believe that if I would wait about six months, that the price would be negotiable.These vehicles are starting to pour into the dealerships.

The German cars may have more of a "personality", but the Japanese are building the most reliable cars right now.

I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty for this vehicle just because of the new technology but I feel pretty confident about Lexus. Any thoughts? The factory warranty seems to be pretty good as is.

Our Rx400h will be sleeping in the garage with our 2003 SC430.

We'll sell the Benz ourselves.

Gently to you all,

Flatfoot
Central Florida east coast

2006 Rx400h
2003 SC430
1987 Dodge Maxi Van 3500b

Congrats!! I love the quote
Great story.
Old 06-05-05, 06:33 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats man!
Old 06-06-05, 03:24 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You seem to get it very quickly from what I could gather. Are you saying the turn around was only a week?
Old 06-06-05, 04:07 AM
flatfoot
Driver

Looknow,

We test drove a black one on Friday. On Saturday I phoned the dealer and told him that we would buy one in silver or white, and to call us if one becomes available. He told me that they had a delivery coming in on Sunday and that there were two white ones unspoken for. They each had the ML, heated seats, and one had the RSES. We took the one without the RSES.

I have a feeling that Lexus has a good stockpile of these.

Flatfoot
Old 06-06-05, 07:09 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

how much did you pay???

$60,000??? $10,000 over sticker???
Old 06-06-05, 07:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the the RX 400h!!
Old 06-07-05, 06:05 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No stockpile but order shakeout common

That was a very entertaining read about the process of selecting and acquiring a new luxury vehicle. Even though the Lexus 400h is expensive you will get your money's worth. The dealers all have existing orders that are deep in some colors and shallow in others. Ironically I have an available Black/ Black in the showroom right now. I too have a White/Ivory that doesn't match the existing order bank. That is uncanny that the same two colors are available in Florida too. Could you tell us a little more about the lifetime tire replacement? Do they use original equipment type tires? That is just like a discount really... Best of luck to you Flatfoot and many happy miles. If you will keep it or resell the RX400h yourself then get the warranty as it is transferable and covers you from unforseen expense. It does not cover maintenance. The hybrid doesn't have an alternator or power steering pump to worry about. It doesn't have a transmission with a lot of parts to worry about either. It is the future in its present tense...

Rock
Old 06-07-05, 01:07 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Are you buying it in Melbourne? Post some photos when you get it! Time to get excited!
Old 06-07-05, 04:04 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Rock & Scott,

The car was purchased at Lexus of Melbourne. The tires for life is a dealership incentive that I believe will include OEM tires. At any rate, the price is right! They have a few more coming in on the 15th of June. My wife wanted a white one so we're going to take it. We will probably pick it up tomorrow. Our C230 coupe will go to a small car lot on consignment.
I spoke with my salesman today and he did advise that Lexus will probably be discounting the 400h in about six months or so. There are plenty of them being delivered and alot of the people on waiting lists have bought other vehicles, couldn't get financed, or just didn't think the car was what they wanted.
I'm still undecided about any extended warranty and I'm not sure that it's even available! In any event, we will have some time and miles to think it over.

Lexus Fan,

We paid MSRP! That is the absolute most I would pay for any ride regardless of how badly I wanted it. If you wait a few months , I'm sure you can get a discount. We needed a change of vehicles now.

Gently to you all,

Flatfoot
Old 06-07-05, 04:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats on the purchase of a new unique vehicle
Old 06-07-05, 05:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking did I buy a Kia or what? Once the warranty was over, it seemed that every month the "check engine " light would come on for one reason or another! $90.00 to see what's wrong this time!
I think Kia is doing much better than "a check engine light every month" these days, not to mention a much better warranty it comes with.
Lexus RX400h.
Congrats! Definitely post back with pics and review when you RX400h is delivered.
Old 06-08-05, 03:50 AM
flatfoot
Driver

XeroKOOL,

You are absolutely right. The Korean cars are kicking butt and they have other manufacturers worried. My comment about the Kia only meant that if I had paid 12-13K for a car, then I may not have been so surprised at the cruddy service and all the trips back to the dealership.

I bought my daughter a Scion Xb for about 14k and the car is bulletproof so far! I have high hopes for this RX400h.

Go Gently,

Flatfoot
Old 06-12-05, 04:13 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Rock & Scott,
Lexus Fan,

We paid MSRP! That is the absolute most I would pay for any ride regardless of how badly I wanted it. If you wait a few months , I'm sure you can get a discount. We needed a change of vehicles now.

Gently to you all,

Flatfoot
That is amazing that you got MSRP when there is a long waiting list, how did you pull that off???

are you a good negotiator?
Old 06-12-05, 04:30 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Lexus Fan,

No negotiation involved! I refuse to pay any more than MSRP for any car no matter how much I like it. Paying even that much ticks me off. I am convinced that there will be discounts on these hybrids in six months. I think that Lexus was smart enough to stockpile these vehicles prior to their release. They may regulate the supply to keep the prices up.

Hybrids are the easiest answer to our fuel crisis and I'm sure that all of the major car makers will be offering their own versions in the next few years. Diesel is also one to watch with the low sulpher fuel coming out in the fall. I almost bought the Benz E320CDi but finally decided on the RX400h. Lexus quality and service kills Mercedes.

Go Gently,

Flatfoot

Quick Reply: RX400h - New purchase