RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Some 2004 RX330 questions ...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 08:36 AM
user 7082972
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some 2004 RX330 questions ...help!

Hi,

I have a 2004 RX330 (bought Oct 2004)and have the following questions:

- Did anyone experience, the retractable cover seems to be rubbing on the liftgate and leaving marks. Also, the automatic retractable feature sometimes doesn't work that well and the cover falls off the track while retracting

- Anyone in Canada apply the fix for the hesitation (if there is any)?

- I am due for the 2nd service i.e. the first owner payable service. I think the service manager mentioned that as long as I bring in the car before the 16000km, he can have my brakes service (whatever that entails) under warranty. I think the visit will cost be approx $250cdn. Does it worth it or should I just opt for the oil and filter change only?

- I heard that there is a supposingly fix for the "excessive" wind noise, anyone in Canada apply the fix?

- In auto mode, it seems like the air con like to blast for an extended period of time. e.g. external temp 25 degree , you set desired temp to 30 degree or so .. the air con will still run for a long period of time untill it slows down to a lower fan speed. Anyone experience that? Kind of annoying cause when you turn down the fan speed, the auto mode is gone rendering "auto" kind of not practical.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-09-05, 10:03 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Welcome to CL!

Most of these issues have been addressed multiple times on this forum. Click on the "Advanced Search" text at the upper left and enter "330 hesitation", or "330 transmission" and search the last year's entries. We have a wealth of information available on this forum and the search engine will help you sort through it.

Briefly, you should bring each of these items to the attention of your dealer. The rear cover probably needs a little light lube, and/or is not seated fully in it's track.

The transmission hesitation has a software fix applicable to 330s built prior to 2004 - it takes about ten minutes to re-flash your ECU. Otherwise, while the RX 330 is perfectly able to run on sub-90 octane fuel, thanks to it's knock sensors, it may hesitate when the throttle is opened quickly under load as the ECU is programmed for premium fuel (see your owner's manual). Reset the transmission memory by disconnecting the battery or pull the 20-amp EFI fuse (under hood) for a couple of minutes, then reinstall.

If your brakes are functioning normally, there is no reason to pay for work on them beyond a simple inspection for wear. If pads are worn (unlikely at this mileage) or rotors warped (an issue with some) they should be replaced as needed.

"Wind noise" may be the result of your windows overtraveling their stops, causing the rubber seal to deflect out of position and open a passage to the outside. Try bumping your window switches ever so slightly "down" and see if releasing pressure on the seals helps reduce the noise.

The A/C will operate with the heater on to dry the cabin air and prevent window fogging. If you don't appreciate the cold blast of air on a winter morning, just press the "OFF" button leaving the climate control system off until your temperature gauge moves into the normal operating range.
Old 06-09-05, 11:29 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the auto a/c is a strange feature, i admit. but you have to use it like this: when you first get in and press AUTO, it will blast b/c it's so much hotter in the car than it is normally. if you don't want it to blast, just hit the up button on Temp to slow down the fan speed. it's a bit counterintuitive, but it beats going into the climate menu (on nav screen) and changing the fan speed manually each time. (esp if you always want it on auto)
Old 06-13-05, 08:30 AM
user 7082972
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick updates after my maintenance visits for those interested:

- Yes there is a "heitation fix" for both RX and the ES in Canada. I've applied the update and the car is much more responsive now.

- Wind noise in front passenger and drive fix with replacement of new weatherstripping (per bulletin)

- Believe it or not, my service advisor points to me about the fact that while the exterior temp guage is certainly in "degree celcius", the individual temp setting for driver and passenger is not in "degree celcius" but moreso like a numeric scale (as is if you notice , there is not unit of measurements next to them). So if you are thinking setting the temp to say equal to the external temp and thinking that the fan speed etc... should come down, it may not as the "25" you set may not be the same as "25 degree celcius" showing as external. That explain why there is always this delay in the fan speed coming down.

Cheers!

BA