RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

U-haul or Lexus tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 06:20 PM
asimo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-haul or Lexus tow Hitch

Hi guy, finally i get my rx330 thunder clud edition. it was 4wd flint mica with ML and i love it. Today i went to longo to install tow hitch for my rx and they quote me $900+. wow...it was exp. the parts cost 500+ plus the labour becomes 900$. then i went to u-haul and they quote me about 350$ installed. i wonder which one should i go with? any one installed the u-haul version? any problems ?
Old 07-10-05, 12:24 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Need to tell us more... what do you intend to pull and how often and for how long.

If you need a bike rack or equiv (when you do NOT need the electrical connection for the trailer), buy any thing.

If you want to pull a trailer (box, flat or boat) you need electronic isolator (box with pigtails) ... depending on model/options this may already be there for you. I would reccomend Lexus, but others have found non-oem parts which work for them.

If you plan extended towing a tranmission cooler may be needed.

Dig/search and you will find a number of threads.

Salim
Old 07-10-05, 12:37 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Like Salim said there were a couple of older threads addressing the Lexus vs aftermarket hitch question.

I got my Lexus hitch installed at the dealer last summer for $620 (labor and material) .
My car had the tow prep package. If your car doesn't include the towing package that might explain the difference.
IMO the Lexus hitch looks way better than the aftermarket ones I've seen.
Old 07-13-05, 10:48 PM
asimo
Rookie

i decided to go with the lexus OEM hitch. i got it for $580 installed. the SA makes a mistakes when he quote me $920.
Old 07-14-05, 02:17 PM
mmahamm
Driver

For the benefit of others I purchased and installed a "Hidden Hitch" on the 00 RX-300 myself. It was just for a bike rack, so no electronics. About $150, came with instructions. It was incredibly easy to install, no drilling required. I assume the RX330 is probably a similar situation.

Just bought an 02 last month and moved it over, as we are selling the 00.

BTW it's not "Hidden..." you can see the whole thing. But I repainted it flat black before moving it over, so it looks fine. Just needs a cover.

Edit: It is not a "Hidden Hitch" brand at all. It's a Draw-tite. Made to fit the specific vehicle. No drilling required. The one for the 330 is $135.55 on their website, Wiring harness is $14.61. About $150 for the whole thing, and easy to install.

Why would anyone pay $700 or even $300 for this?

Last edited by mmahamm; 07-18-05 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-28-05, 08:38 AM
semedina
Driver School Candidate

Default Curt Hitch

I just needed the hitch for a receiver bike/ ski rack so I bought a Curt Class III hitch online for about $130.00 and installed with basic tools in less than 30 minutes.
If you can go with a Class III -IV hitch, definitely do it yourself. You can always have someone else do the electrical pigtail if you don't want to get into the rear lamps, and you will still save a lot of money.
Old 07-31-05, 11:45 AM
CDN_LXS
Driver School Candidate

We went with OEM on both RX's. But we don't tow anything of significant weight. No camping trailers, just the boat or seadoos
Old 12-03-05, 02:41 PM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by semedina
I just needed the hitch for a receiver bike/ ski rack so I bought a Curt Class III hitch online for about $130.00 and installed with basic tools in less than 30 minutes.
If you can go with a Class III -IV hitch, definitely do it yourself. You can always have someone else do the electrical pigtail if you don't want to get into the rear lamps, and you will still save a lot of money.
I tried a Curt (class 3) hitch and it turned out to not fit correctly over the spare tire and the bolts holes were not lining up with the pre-drilled holes in the Lexus. Turns out they had a few that were initially made to fit the smaller spare. Anyway the Curt reps were nice enought and just had me throw it out in the trash and I was credited back the $150 or so.

We ended up going to dealer and getting whole thing installed as I was not sure if another manufacturer would work and fit properly. Cost quite a bit more but its correct and designed to work.

I am looking for a yakima or other to fit some bikes on there now. Or I may just get some attachements for the yakima roof racks I already have.
Old 12-03-05, 08:01 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDN_LXS
We went with OEM on both RX's. But we don't tow anything of significant weight. No camping trailers, just the boat or seadoos
do you know if you can tow on RX400h's

by the way...nice taste in cars....
Old 12-04-05, 07:15 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $300, no, but...

Originally Posted by mmahamm
For the benefit of others I purchased and installed a "Hidden Hitch" on the 00 RX-300 myself. It was just for a bike rack, so no electronics. About $150, came with instructions. It was incredibly easy to install, no drilling required. I assume the RX330 is probably a similar situation.

Just bought an 02 last month and moved it over, as we are selling the 00.

BTW it's not "Hidden..." you can see the whole thing. But I repainted it flat black before moving it over, so it looks fine. Just needs a cover.

Edit: It is not a "Hidden Hitch" brand at all. It's a Draw-tite. Made to fit the specific vehicle. No drilling required. The one for the 330 is $135.55 on their website, Wiring harness is $14.61. About $150 for the whole thing, and easy to install.

Why would anyone pay $700 or even $300 for this?
... $217.30 for the oem Lexus hitch from Bell Lexus (AZ) including the electrical coupler is worth it because: you get a better hidden hitch with a quality paint job on it, you get the coupler mounted on the hitch (not hanging loose), and you get a spiffy lexus hitch opening cover.

Not a huge fan of oem, but in this case it's worth it.

- GRL
Old 12-05-05, 03:45 PM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Default Hitch made easy and inexpensive..

We discussed this in detail back in September. Here's the link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=hitch

I have the Curt hitch on my 2005 RX330 and it works great. I pull around a boat and a utility trailer no problem. Took about 20 minutes to install since the holes are predrilled. Did take two people with one holding the hitch and the other screwing it in. This thread will also give you detailed wiring instructions. All total, I think I got the hitch delivered for about $135.00 and bought the wiring harness from Lexus for $50 (probably could get it cheaper online).
Old 12-05-05, 05:44 PM
Roofchek
Driver School Candidate

Default towing

I have a new RX330..first one. had a Sequoia. Have a Boston whaler 17ft, 3000 lb..have 2 atv's on a trailer which is 17 ft long. The sequoia..no problem for towing didn't even feel the boat which is the heavier of the two trailer packages. How's my 330 going to handle?
No hitch yet, that's why I'm reading here
Thanks
Old 12-06-05, 03:56 AM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Default roofcheck..fyi

I tow a 19' Proline with a 95 HP outboard. Just under 3000 lbs loaded. Also need a little extra kick to pull it out of the water at the boat ramp. Np problem, my '05 RX330 handles the job well.
Old 12-06-05, 08:33 AM
asimo
Rookie

I went with the OEM tow hitch. Towed u haul for my move to indiana, no problem at all. Thanks guys. I would recomend the OEM tow hitch over the u-haul ones. u-haul had the hitch go around the exhaust which i think is ugly.
Old 12-06-05, 06:11 PM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up OEM vs Aftermarket

Sure, OEM looks good, but you've got to be willing to pay the price. Curt hitch worked for me, and I pocketed several hundred dollars difference.

Quick Reply: U-haul or Lexus tow Hitch