RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Stolen headlights from RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 07:44 AM
russianmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX400h
Well, it happened to me.

These were the pictures my insurance company took, so please excuse the poor photos.
The incident occured on 10/1 and the car was given to Lexus on 10/2 for repair . Hopefully, I can get the car back on saturday. I was also informed by the service dept. that they have installed the data dots made for the RX 400h. I will keep you guys updated on how things go. Thanks
It looks like a lot more body damage than was done to mine - but at least they just unplugged the headlights. The thieves cut the wire harness to mine - bringing the total bill to $8400. Let us know what your repair bill will come to.

Also, call Lexus and complain, complain, complain - maybe they'll reimburse the insurance deductible.
Old 10-21-05, 05:37 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen the inside of the car with the headlights pulled. I feel sorry for you. I'm even more thankful that the dealer installed the data dots for me as soon as I requested them in August. People nearby still haven't been notified about the Data Dots. I know they're in short supply but in all these months you'd think Lexus would have caught up. Maybe I paid more than some buyers (list) but I sure have benefitted from superior caring service.
Old 10-21-05, 07:25 PM
RX400h
Driver School Candidate

Well unfortunately (although not seen in the pictures) they also cut the wire harnesses. That was the bulk of the cost. The total cost: $9,600. I also got the car back today. It is in the condition in which I recieved it in. To protect it I have installed and alarm in which there are a total of three shock sensors in the front of the car. I also have switches behind the headlights, so if anyone were to try and steal them the alarm would sound. I was thinking about the front brush guard but in my opinion they take away from the look of the car, the service dept. also said that it interferes with the airbags. I will post a before and after pic so you guys can get an idea of how the car is. Thanks
Old 10-23-05, 02:35 PM
RX400h
Driver School Candidate

As promised here are the pictures of the RX 400h back in my hands.

Old 11-06-05, 01:40 AM
2004RX330
Rookie

Just have the protection kit installed by the Lexus of Glendale and was told that my car was the first one to install the kit. May be it is not so common that HID headlights is stolen in the West. Anyway, there is only a data dot sticker on the corner of the headlights and cant find the lenses are painted with an epoxy paint that has very small data dots in it, weird. Anyone know where and which area of the headlights that the small dots is paste to??
Old 11-24-05, 07:00 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Somebody tried to do this to my in-law's RX too. They bought the car last month, it doesn't have a scratch on it. Whoever tried to do it must have given up. The headlights are still there but there is that dent on the fender like the one in the picture posted by RX400h. Only on the driver side. It happened in their driveway.

Do you guys know if they replace the fender or just fix/bondo it?

And the fix kit. Is it installed in the newer models or do specifically have to get it done by Lexus? Little confused.

They are not as upset as I would be, just dissappointed. Their neighbor's ES330 got broken into last month. They entered thru the back door by breaking the little rear door glass and stole his airbags and did a lot of damage.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Stolen headlights from RX400h-108129038_p_6.jpg  
Old 11-24-05, 09:27 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer cars (depends when it was manufactured) are supposed to have the fix, but you can tell if they've posted the Data Dots stickers on the headlights and side front windows. Otherwise, it is done for free at the Lexus Dealer's Service Dept. It takes at least 2 hours and apparently isn't as easy as one may think.
Old 11-24-05, 10:42 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone know if the retrofit w/ datadots and bracket might cause issues with the seal on the lights? i have not experienced any condensation whatsoever since purchasing in March 03, but i don't want it to start now by having them do the fix.

the car is in a safe place 90% of the time, but sometimes i leave it outside overnight in LA on business trips.

it's approaching the 50k end of warranty, so i am wondering if any of you have an opinion on whether or not i should get it done. i would just hate to come out one day and find them stolen, but most of the time the car is in a safe place. but seeing as though others have had them stolen from their own driveways, i wouldn't put it past thieves to try to get them from public places like malls, etc.

any opinions? TIA and Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-05, 02:30 AM
2004RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuslover
does anyone know if the retrofit w/ datadots and bracket might cause issues with the seal on the lights? i have not experienced any condensation whatsoever since purchasing in March 03, but i don't want it to start now by having them do the fix.

the car is in a safe place 90% of the time, but sometimes i leave it outside overnight in LA on business trips.

it's approaching the 50k end of warranty, so i am wondering if any of you have an opinion on whether or not i should get it done. i would just hate to come out one day and find them stolen, but most of the time the car is in a safe place. but seeing as though others have had them stolen from their own driveways, i wouldn't put it past thieves to try to get them from public places like malls, etc.

any opinions? TIA and Happy Thanksgiving
Shouldnt be any problem lexuslover, I bet you even cant tell any difference afterall except the sticker at the headlights. When I have mine done at Lexus of Glendale, they told me that mine was the first one to install at their dealership. Which dealer are you planning to go??
Old 11-25-05, 03:58 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004RX330
Shouldnt be any problem lexuslover, I bet you even cant tell any difference afterall except the sticker at the headlights. When I have mine done at Lexus of Glendale, they told me that mine was the first one to install at their dealership. Which dealer are you planning to go??

So the data dots go on the outside casing and not on the projector itself? Just wondering.
Old 11-25-05, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Somebody tried to do this to my in-law's RX too. They bought the car last month, it doesn't have a scratch on it. Whoever tried to do it must have given up. The headlights are still there but there is that dent on the fender like the one in the picture posted by RX400h. Only on the driver side. It happened in their driveway.

Do you guys know if they replace the fender or just fix/bondo it?

And the fix kit. Is it installed in the newer models or do specifically have to get it done by Lexus? Little confused.

They are not as upset as I would be, just dissappointed. Their neighbor's ES330 got broken into last month. They entered thru the back door by breaking the little rear door glass and stole his airbags and did a lot of damage.

Ed
but hey, dont let them install car alarm, it might wake up neighbours

:-)