RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Will these wheels work on RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 01:46 AM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will these wheels work on RX?

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to light wheels (might not be anytime soon, wheels are so expensive!). I'm pretty sure the RX is 5x114, and a 17" rim. I'll be using 225/65R17 wheels. Would the below work?

The 17x7:
http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...+%2D+Gun+Metal

It states:
"Please Note: These wheels require tuner style nuts/bolts and socket lug nus/bolts for installation. We offer an installation kit that contains nuts/bolts, hub rings and valve stems."

What does that mean? Is that bad to need hub rings, since the wheels won't fit perfectly? I don't know much about tires, and am basing all of this on stuff I've picked up from reading websites.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-05, 02:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the G1 RX, but it should just fit the RX330 since the RX330 uses a 6.5" or 7" wide rim on a +35 offset. The 5X114.4 bolt pattern is correct.

Tuner lugs simple are generally the small diameter lug nuts. Also, Lexus uses a flat face lug nut, while most aftermarket rims use a conical seat lug nut. You will not be able to use the OEM Lexus lug nugs on nearly any aftermarket rims. Basically, you will need new lug nuts, so you can either buy it from them, or buy them on your own. Might as well buy it from them if they are comparable priced. Other things you need to keep in mind when buying rims is the face disk type. These are 1 piece cast to it will either fit or not fit, but multipiece rims have the ability to change the face disk to accomodate larger brakes and whatnot. Even if you are stock, some rim face designs will hit the stock caliper no matter what the offset. For multipiece rims you need a high disk face in that case, but for 1 piece rims you might just be out of luck and need to look for a different rim. I have no idea if these will fit the RX in that respect, but the other specs so far are okay IMHO.

Also, hub rings are not a bad thing at all. OEM rims and sometimes the expensive high end rims will come hubcentric. This means the center bore of the rim is just larger than the cars hub to allow the hub to bare most of the stress and center the rim. Most aftermarket rims to save cost have a large center bore larger than most cars on the road, than use a reducer hub run for the specific cars application. This is not a bad thing at all and effectively does the same thing as a true hubcentric rim. Without that the rim will stress the studs and rely on them to center the rim. This could case vibrations at higher speeds and well as worst case broken studs. My rims have metal hub rungs and I have no problems. I know a lot of people that tack their cars no only in auto cross but real road coarse racing that use hub rings so it is safe. I don't recomend the plastic ones though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-29-05 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 02:45 AM
thwang99
Driver

Hi Ck6Speed,

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm also looking at this rim, which I assume will work also, since it has the same specs, though just a different offset:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Displ...t+Grey+Painted

So, the thing about the calipers clearing, why wouldn't they clear? Unless different rims have different inside diameters, I can't imagine some rim being so thick that the brakes don't fit? Maybe I'm not getting something.

- Tony

P.S. Oops, fixed the link. BTW, I see what you mean about clearance! If the wheel doesn't clear the calipers, couldn't you use spacers, though?

P.S.S. Also wondering if I should get this wheel, looks pretty sweet! http://www.ronalusa.com/wheels/bear.html

Last edited by thwang99; 07-29-05 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 03:00 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thwang99
Hi Ck6Speed,

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm also looking at this rim, which I assume will work also, since it has the same specs, though just a different offset:

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Call...pecial=Pricing

So, the thing about the calipers clearing, why wouldn't they clear? Unless different rims have different inside diameters, I can't imagine some rim being so thick that the brakes don't fit? Maybe I'm not getting something.

- Tony
The session on the link you posted has exprired. However, if Tire Rack lists the rims for your car it will fit. They actually test fit it on the car before they list it on the website so it should be absolute. They are conservative though. Often you can go wider and less offset and it still will fit. By less offset I mean less positive offset which moves the rim toward the outside of the car. Most people that run aftermarket rims want to fill up the wheel well and have a wider track for appearence so they run less offset and wider rims.

Trust me about brake caliper clearence. a few mm can determine if it fits or not.. It is kind of hard to explain when you can't see it in person. Basically, depending on how the center spokes are designed, the back of the rim face itself hits the caliper. It has nothing to do with the diameter. It is the clearance between the back of the rim face and the rims hub. Some rims it is shallower than others thus having less clearance. For many cars there is a lot of room so many rim applications fit; however, there are some cars that are very picky about this. I'm not sure if the RX is one of them as I think it is pretty generous in terms of brake clearance. I know my 20" rims have a lot of clearance. Its just something you need to be aware of though because I have been bit in the A== before when I failed to double check that part.
Old 07-29-05, 03:49 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very informative CK6Speed.You're the man.

BTW :what's the CB for the 330?
thanks

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 07-29-05 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
Very informative CK6Speed.You're the man.

BTW :what's the CB for the 330?
thanks
What is CB?
Old 07-29-05, 08:17 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
What is CB?
I was trying to find out the wheels center bore on the RX330.

I found the answer at Rim Trader .Its 60mm.

Thanks anyway.

http://www.rimstrader.com/boltpatterns.htm
Old 07-31-05, 05:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, I understand center bore. I just never made the connection. As you already found out it is 60mm for all Lexus cars.
Old 08-01-05, 01:39 AM
thwang99
Driver

Thanks CK for the info! I think I'm starting to get all this. I still am having trouble finding a rim that has a +35 offset, most have a +42 or so offset!

Could I just get a say 1/2 inch spacer? Is it bad to use a spacer that large?

- Tony
Old 08-02-05, 11:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thwang99
Thanks CK for the info! I think I'm starting to get all this. I still am having trouble finding a rim that has a +35 offset, most have a +42 or so offset!

Could I just get a say 1/2 inch spacer? Is it bad to use a spacer that large?

- Tony
Using a spacer should be avoided if possible, but it is not a problem if used right. With almost any spacer larger than 5mm (Even 5mm in some cases) you will need to use longer replacement studs. These should come with the spacer, so if it doesn't look for another brand like H&R. According to many places, the generall rule of thumb is you should have a minimum of 6 full turns of the lug nut on the stud. Anything less and you need longer studs. Also, there are spacers call wheel adaptors that actually have their own studs on them. The smallest I've seen was a 15mm, but the norm is 25mm+. These adpators bolt to your cars hub via the provided spacers lugs, than they have their own studs on them in which you mount your rim and use the cars lugs. Also make sure you get hubcentric spacers or wheel adaptors.

A plus 42 offset might work. Here is an offset calculator so you can get an idea of how it will fit on your car. It will give you new backspacing numbers and also how much further or inward your wheels will be given new widths and offsets.

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html
Old 08-04-05, 03:38 PM
thwang99
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Using a spacer should be avoided if possible, but it is not a problem if used right. With almost any spacer larger than 5mm (Even 5mm in some cases) you will need to use longer replacement studs. These should come with the spacer, so if it doesn't look for another brand like H&R. According to many places, the generall rule of thumb is you should have a minimum of 6 full turns of the lug nut on the stud. Anything less and you need longer studs. Also, there are spacers call wheel adaptors that actually have their own studs on them. The smallest I've seen was a 15mm, but the norm is 25mm+. These adpators bolt to your cars hub via the provided spacers lugs, than they have their own studs on them in which you mount your rim and use the cars lugs. Also make sure you get hubcentric spacers or wheel adaptors.

A plus 42 offset might work. Here is an offset calculator so you can get an idea of how it will fit on your car. It will give you new backspacing numbers and also how much further or inward your wheels will be given new widths and offsets.

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html
Hi CK,

Wow so much math to get aftermarket wheels! I guess there's a lot of avariables involved. Very helpful post! I've found the below, which since most aftermarket rims have a +45 offset, I think would work:

http://www.speedaction.net/30656014.html

With the below wheels?

SSR Competition:

* Lightweight yet strong
* High-tech semi-solid, forged construction is heat-treated and shot-peened for superior characteristics
* Popular choice for true enthusiast
* Proven performance available exclusively from the Tire Rack

Finish Shown: Silver w/Machined Lip

Other Available Finishes:
Anthracite w/Mach Lip

Size Selected: 17x7.5
Price: $389 each
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Recommended Tire Size: 225/50-17
Wheel Offset: +42mm
** Lightweight: 13.6 lbs. **

Additional Specs

Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Finish Warranty: 1 Year
Country of Origin: Japan
Construction Type: Semi-Solid Forged

This would bring the wheel more in line with the stock wheel's offset of +35. I don't mind the wheels sticking out more rather than sticking in more.

Also with the above tire, would 225/65/17 or 235/60/17 tires be better? Thanks!

- Tony

Last edited by thwang99; 08-05-05 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-06-05, 09:51 AM
ppmyip
Driver School Candidate

Hi Tony,

Just read your post, is there other offset the wheels have available? I think +42 offset would work, but I would think offset at around 35 would be better looking. Especially the rear wheels, since our rear wheels is quite far from the fender, so I would think smaller offset could pull the wheels out abit and make it looks better. I'm using 20 x 8.5 with 35 offset, I'm still thinking to put a spacer at the rear wheels.

For tires, I would go for 235/60/17 to gain abit of handling, and it can also protect the rims from hitting the curb.

Patrick