RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

15K miles scheduled service, how much $$

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 12:02 PM
blazerbeam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15K miles scheduled service, how much $$

Folks,

How much are yall paying for the 15k scheduled maintenance at a Lexus dealer for the RX 330 ?
I have polled two dealers in Colorado and the service will cost $ 350 to $ 400.

Ooh....that hurts !
Old 08-02-05, 06:56 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blazerbeam
Folks,

How much are yall paying for the 15k scheduled maintenance at a Lexus dealer for the RX 330 ?
I have polled two dealers in Colorado and the service will cost $ 350 to $ 400.

Ooh....that hurts !
lol my dealership chargest 600
we do
lof
rotate
trans drain n fill
diff service
transfer case
engine air filter
Old 08-02-05, 08:37 PM
jylo
Driver School Candidate

Mine is coming up in a month too. I know it costs around $400 in the Bay Area although I have heard they actually do more than the manual recommends.

Has anyone brought in their manual and asked the service rep to only do the things that are listed there? Afterall, $400 is pretty steep for a relatively new car.

Also, I've been following the 5000 mile interval tuneup. The manual says I can switch to doing it only every 7500. I do mostly highway in my commute and take good care of my car in general. I dont wanna be skim on the tuneup but dont want to have to send the car in every 5000 either.
Old 08-02-05, 10:23 PM
LexusRX330
Driver School Candidate

I paid $230 back in Feb 2005 for my 15k service at Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA.
Old 08-03-05, 05:03 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As you can see, the price is all over the place. Unfortunately, each dealer has their own definition of the "15K service," and most throw in extra stuff that you don't need. You need to ask what will be done and compare it to what's specified in your manual.
Old 08-03-05, 07:07 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by rxdriver
As you can see, the price is all over the place. Unfortunately, each dealer has their own definition of the "15K service," and most throw in extra stuff that you don't need. You need to ask what will be done and compare it to what's specified in your manual.
Better yet, rather than asking for the 15K service, and then asking them what that is...

Look at your manual's recommendations, know your car, and TELL them which SPECIFIC services and ONLY those services you want them to do, then ask them for a total price.

Or better yet, go to your trusted independent mechanic and ask them to do the same thing. It will probably save you money.

Also do the things that are easy yourself and save a lot of money. For example, the cabin air filter can be purchased for less than $20 online and is a snap to replace. The engine air filter is priced similarly and is very easy to replace. Less than 10 minutes to do both, and it probably saves you close to $100 by the time they charge you an inflated price for parts that say Lexus on them and charge 1/2 hour to an hour for labor.
Old 08-03-05, 07:19 AM
RHODY401
Rookie

I've learned one thing with Lexus service: You need to question everything and look out for your own best interests. I have tried 2 local service departments and have been very let down. We bought a new Toyota the same week as the Rx-330, and the regular Toyota service has been Stellar in comparison.

I was quoted a price "in the 500's" for the 15k oil change and inspection.

I brought the service manual with me and opened it up, asked them what the manufacturer recommended service items would cost. When i questioned it, they said they could do it for $299. I was told the extra services were because they put their customers on a "severe conditions" routine/schedule, which costs more.

When I picked up the vehicle it was only $203 or so + tax. The oil light reminder came on about 2500 miles later (7500 after the previous oil change). They apparently forgot to reset it, and forgot to do the car wash. I hope they actually DID change the oil
I'm not very confident that they did, actually...
Old 08-03-05, 04:18 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boy That Pisses Me Off!!!

This same thing just happened on my wifes Grand Cherokee at 30k - (fyi - i bought her an rx330 for Christmas and took her Jeep until its lease is up in Dec) . Anyway, they included the service manual for a car that is driven HEAVILY with the Jeep and thats for taxis, ambulances, driving in 100+ heat every day for hours at a time...you get the idea. I called around for the service and got prices in SoCal from 450 - 600 bucks! This is such a friggin SCAM! the dealers have all their service prices based on the heavy usage. I took it to a garage and talked to the mechanic (who did it for $150) and he told me what a load this was. There was a trans service included in the manual - he checked it and said it was clean - modern transmissions can go @50k with the new synthetic trans fluid dealers use now. He changed the spark plugs and some belt, oil change, tire rot and a couple other small things. As I dont drive it as a taxi (like most dealers apparently belive most people do!), thats all that was needed. Beware of this scam and try to get the NORMAL drivers manual and then YOU tell THEM what you want! I never get my lexus serviced at the dealer cuz they are priced ridiculously - 69.95 for an oil change!!! (they make it sound like more but its not! I take it to a local garage and they tell me if there are any warranty repairs to be made afterward, Sorry for the rant but this scam really made me mad....glad to get that off my chest!