RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 11:13 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Cracked also, had it repaired but still shows. Can't see paying $1500 for a small inconvience. A 3/4 inch line I can live with, as long as it doesn't grow.

Do I understand all you correctly? $300 for a aftermarket windshield, that might be the way i will go as I can replace it 5 times for the price of a OEM windshield.
My repair also left some visible cracks, but also made some of them invisible. I agree that the small price to halt the cracking and be left with some visible cracks is a reasonable compromise.

There are two prices from Safelite: The cheaper one will get you glass of their choice (typically their own brand). I opted to go the more expensive route (for an extra $100 or so) to get OEM glass from PPG. The work is "aftermarket", but the glass is the same as what you would get from Lexus. In my book, it's a no-brainer.
Old 10-04-06, 11:55 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

I just had my RX windshield chip repair today by Safelite, but it still left the same visible crack. I don't see any difference before and after the fix as I can see the crack clearly. I am
Old 10-04-06, 02:43 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Be very careful about using After Market Glass. In most cases AMG glass is not as strong as OEM glass, is more brittle and cracks easier. OEM glass is made to provide a backing for the airbags, support and rigidity to the automobile during rollovers, and the AMG does not meet the same criteria. There is a reason automakers use OEM glass rather than the much less costly AMG glass. Using AMG glass can quite possibly cost lives. Do some google research and you will see why.

Also did you know that auto glass replacement is the #1 claims item for insurers. Another point of interest is that many windshield replacements are improperly done and can cause serious injury or death in an collision.
Old 10-04-06, 04:26 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dinomon
I just had my RX windshield chip repair today by Safelite, but it still left the same visible crack. I don't see any difference before and after the fix as I can see the crack clearly. I am
In my case, which is described a few posts above, the repair made about half of the original cracks totally invisible, but the primary portion of the crack (the middle) remained visible. While it is annoying, I can easily ignore it for the 300-400 dollars it is saving me by not doing a complete replacement.
Old 10-04-06, 04:34 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Be very careful about using After Market Glass. In most cases AMG glass is not as strong as OEM glass, is more brittle and cracks easier. OEM glass is made to provide a backing for the airbags, support and rigidity to the automobile during rollovers, and the AMG does not meet the same criteria. There is a reason automakers use OEM glass rather than the much less costly AMG glass. Using AMG glass can quite possibly cost lives. Do some google research and you will see why.

Also did you know that auto glass replacement is the #1 claims item for insurers. Another point of interest is that many windshield replacements are improperly done and can cause serious injury or death in an collision.
Just to add to your comments for some possible newbies (which I totally agree with):
- OEM glass is not made by Lexus. It is sourced by them from several different glass manufacturers (PPG is one, but there are a couple of others). That's why you can get OEM glass from many different installers other than Lexus.
- Improper replacements are indeed hazardous (as are any repairs done by someone without the proper skills or tools), which is why I recommend using a large company who does windshield replacements for a living. Here in Southern California at least (South Bay Lexus), Lexus does not do windshield replacements themselves. They charge you approximately $1200 (non-rain-sensing windshields), and then call in a third-party installer to do the actual work. It's better to go direct and avoid Lexus as a middleman (for this particular work). Other places may have different policies and approaches.
Old 10-04-06, 05:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A couple more points...

PPG has two different manufacturing plants. One makes OEM glass and one makes AMG (after market glass) windshields. Be sure you are getting OEM glass and not AMG. It takes much longer to make OEM glass hence the added cost. This extra time is needed for the slow annealed glass to give it it's strength. The AMG glass is easier to make and therefore is cheaper. It is just not as safe. Most auto manufacturers require OEM glass and it is required to meet specs that AMG glass does not.

Windshield replacements, per the Independent Glass Association, National Glass Association, ABC’s 20/20 and Fox News are known to be done incorrectly 70-80% of the time. I'd rather have a repair than a new windshield even if there were residual optical issues.

Originally Posted by sakaike
Just to add to your comments for some possible newbies (which I totally agree with):
- OEM glass is not made by Lexus. It is sourced by them from several different glass manufacturers (PPG is one, but there are a couple of others). That's why you can get OEM glass from many different installers other than Lexus.
- Improper replacements are indeed hazardous (as are any repairs done by someone without the proper skills or tools), which is why I recommend using a large company who does windshield replacements for a living. Here in Southern California at least (South Bay Lexus), Lexus does not do windshield replacements themselves. They charge you approximately $1200 (non-rain-sensing windshields), and then call in a third-party installer to do the actual work. It's better to go direct and avoid Lexus as a middleman (for this particular work). Other places may have different policies and approaches.