RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 03:15 PM
curtm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX330 Windshield Cracked

I got a rock chip that is causing a crack to grow and I am looking into my options for getting the widnshield replaced. I talked to my dealer and they told me that they wouldn't replace it with anything other than original Lexus glass because the auto windshield wipers might not work if I used aftermarket glass. has anyone had any experience with replacing their windshild and if so any advice on OEM glass vs. aftermerket glass with regrads to looks and auto wiper functions.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-05, 10:33 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search on "windshield replacement" you'll get a bunch of hits. In addition, I posted my personal experience on the LOC forum here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...5&t=17349&st=0

I can't speak to the rain-sensing wipers, but in the thread above, some others did. FWIW...
Old 08-08-05, 11:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by curtm
I got a rock chip that is causing a crack to grow and I am looking into my options for getting the widnshield replaced. I talked to my dealer and they told me that they wouldn't replace it with anything other than original Lexus glass because the auto windshield wipers might not work if I used aftermarket glass. has anyone had any experience with replacing their windshild and if so any advice on OEM glass vs. aftermerket glass with regrads to looks and auto wiper functions.

Thanks.
Wow..what Lexus dealer told you this? We had to replace the glass on our RX330 last month due to a big rock chip that turned into a growing crack.

First question...are you going to pay it out on your own or go through insurance and file a comprehensive claim for glass? It's usually best to pay for it yourself so you have no loss history listed for your insurance company.

You have several options for RX330 glass...

Japanese OEM Lexus glass.
OEM quality aftermarket. i.e. PPG, Pilkington or LOF.

There are two types, one with rain sensors, one without. The Japanese Lexus OEM glass (if your car was manufactured in Kyushu, Japan) is about $1,300 and add a few hundred more for the model with rain sensors. The aftermarket glass is OEM quality...with no Lexus name on is less than half the cost. Depending on your insurance carrier, they will not replace your windshield with the Lexus OEM since it's costly. They usually will opt for an aftermarket OEM-quality windshield glass.

Just FYI, the Cambridge, Ontario Canadian made RX330's uses either United or LOF...I don't recall... i will check it when I get home, but the replacement windshield they put on our Japanese made 04 RX330 was the same brand as the Canadian made RX330's use minus the Lexus name on the label.

Just a little background for you, i am a claims adjuster by profession.
Old 08-08-05, 11:45 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have comprehensive coverage and the deductible is reasonable, then i would just go through insurance the dealer. (usually you are allowed up to 3 comprehensive claims without penalty)

i replaced a GS windshield a few years ago. the out of pocket aftermarket price was close to $500, which is the same as my insurance deductible, so i just had it done by the dealer to avoid any issues. (granted the lexus windshield was $9xx, but i was indifferent since insurance covered the $400+ extra)
Old 08-08-05, 11:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Loss history of any kind reported will affect your rates...in some way. I had a glass claim on my 04 IS300 2 years ago...and it showed up as a loss record. The cleaner your claims loss history, the better you will be...i.e. less risk to the insurance company.
Old 08-08-05, 12:06 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flip, that sucks! i guess you are right. i'm sure it's built in somehow, even though AAA says it's ok to have them. either way, that is the only type of comprehensive claim i have ever filed. otherwise, i feel like i am getting comprehensive coverage for nothing i wish there was a windshield clause in there . . .
Old 08-08-05, 12:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lexuslover
flip, that sucks! i guess you are right. i'm sure it's built in somehow, even though AAA says it's ok to have them. either way, that is the only type of comprehensive claim i have ever filed. otherwise, i feel like i am getting comprehensive coverage for nothing i wish there was a windshield clause in there . . .
Yeah. depending on your comprehensive deductible, if it's only 100...follow through with the claim...but if it's $500 or $1000, you're better off to do it on your own.
Old 08-09-05, 12:40 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Default Getting mine done tomorrow

Same problem with the cracking. Caught a rock, with only 200 miles on the car - sigh! I'm having it replaced with OEM windshield tomorrow. My 330 has the rain sensing wipers and I was also cautioned by Dealer that I had to be careful what glass was used. Insurance company didn't even question going with the OEM. Now lets hope that the replacement goes smooth.
Old 08-10-05, 12:44 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Wow..what Lexus dealer told you this? We had to replace the glass on our RX330 last month due to a big rock chip that turned into a growing crack.

First question...are you going to pay it out on your own or go through insurance and file a comprehensive claim for glass? It's usually best to pay for it yourself so you have no loss history listed for your insurance company.

You have several options for RX330 glass...

Japanese OEM Lexus glass.
OEM quality aftermarket. i.e. PPG, Pilkington or LOF.

There are two types, one with rain sensors, one without. The Japanese Lexus OEM glass (if your car was manufactured in Kyushu, Japan) is about $1,300 and add a few hundred more for the model with rain sensors. The aftermarket glass is OEM quality...with no Lexus name on is less than half the cost. Depending on your insurance carrier, they will not replace your windshield with the Lexus OEM since it's costly. They usually will opt for an aftermarket OEM-quality windshield glass.

Just FYI, the Cambridge, Ontario Canadian made RX330's uses either United or LOF...I don't recall... i will check it when I get home, but the replacement windshield they put on our Japanese made 04 RX330 was the same brand as the Canadian made RX330's use minus the Lexus name on the label.

Just a little background for you, i am a claims adjuster by profession.

Canadian RXs come OEM with PPG glass, i think i also saw AP Techniglass, which was a PPG and Asahi joint venture.
Old 09-04-05, 10:52 PM
vchiu
Driver School Candidate

Default same story here

The windshield of my RX330 also cracked from hitting a pebble or something. The Lexus glass was going to cost about $1500 and the aftermarket was about $250. There's lots of stuff out there on the web as to why OEM and aftermarket windshields from the same manufacturer cost so differently. I recommend that you look too. I just paid the insurance deductible and went with the dealer installed lexus glass. Might as well be safe about it.
Old 09-05-05, 03:16 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Thanks for your help with windshields, i asked about a chipped windshield in another online forum and didnt get this detailed a response. I have a 400h with the rainsensing so i want to do it correctly.
Old 08-25-06, 11:31 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

A rock just bounced off my RX windshield yesterday, leaving a small-sized chip right in front. What are my options to fix it. I do not want to replace the windshield with a brand new one. Just want to fix it the cheapest way not to get spread. Thanks!!

Last edited by Dinomon; 08-25-06 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 12:30 PM
RX_brain
Rookie

Does anyone know if the dealer will replace RX330's windshield with RX350's. My understanding is that the 350's are thicker and has better noise insulation. Are they interchangeable? Just wondering!
Old 08-25-06, 02:06 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dinomon
A rock just bounced off my RX windshield yesterday, leaving a small-sized chip right in front. What are my options to fix it. I do not want to replace the windshield with a brand new one. Just want to fix it the cheapest way not to get spread. Thanks!!
I have had my 04 RX330 windshield replaced and repaired in two separate incidents. Both times I used Safelite, which I strongly recommend. The replacement was around $300 or so (it was a couple of years ago), and they used OEM glass from PPG. Generic Safelite glass would have been about $100 cheaper. I don't have rain sensing wipers. For the repair, it was about $65-70, and the work was great. In addition, with Safelite, if the repair doesn't take well, and the crack begins growing again, the cost of the repair can be applied to the cost of a replacement windshield for as long as you own the car, so there is no downside. The repair was about a year ago, and has been rock solid. Hope that helps.
Old 08-26-06, 07:33 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Cracked also, had it repaired but still shows. Can't see paying $1500 for a small inconvience. A 3/4 inch line I can live with, as long as it doesn't grow.

Do I understand all you correctly? $300 for a aftermarket windshield, that might be the way i will go as I can replace it 5 times for the price of a OEM windshield.

Quick Reply: RX330 Windshield Cracked