RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Squeaky Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 07:39 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Tonneau Cover

I've done a search and am surprised no one has asked this question before...

I have an 04 RX330 and for the most part, I have none of the noise issues described in so many other threads on this forum. However, I do suffer from one noise problem apparently not encountered or at least discussed anywhere on this board.

My tonneau cover in the back squeaks like crazy! It seems to squeak a lot more over bumpy roads, as you would expect. And it also seems to squeak more when it's retracted, although that may very well be my imagination.

Any advice on how to make the squeaking go away?

I haven't treated the cover with anything (like vinyl protectant, etc.). Would that help?

The noise makes the car seem a lot less rigid than it actually is. And to the best of my knowledge, this appears to be the only significant source of unintended noise anywhere in my vehicle, so any advice anyone can offer would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-05, 08:12 PM
dolesun
Rookie

Why don't you bring it back to the dealer and have them fix it?
Old 08-10-05, 10:13 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean squeaky? i have a very minor rattle, but i can't imagine why it would squeak, unless you are talking about pulling it open or closing it? i think my rattle might be the thing shaking in the plastic holders, so i plan on getting some nice felt and lining the cups to see if that helps . . .
Old 08-11-05, 11:05 AM
sakaike
Rookie

I haven't pointed it out to the dealer yet because I'm not yet sure whether this is normal, or if it is indeed something that shouldn't be tolerated - Thus my question to all of you.

I have both the rattle and the squeak. The rattle is much less intrusive. It only happens when bouncing or shaking on relatively rough road. The squeaking occurs much more frequently.

I used to own a Mazda Tribute (great truck for the price), and its tonneau cover behaved and sounded exactly the same. So I am suspecting that this is just the nature of the device...
Old 08-11-05, 04:31 PM
dolesun
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakaike
I haven't pointed it out to the dealer yet because I'm not yet sure whether this is normal, or if it is indeed something that shouldn't be tolerated - Thus my question to all of you.

I have both the rattle and the squeak. The rattle is much less intrusive. It only happens when bouncing or shaking on relatively rough road. The squeaking occurs much more frequently.

I used to own a Mazda Tribute (great truck for the price), and its tonneau cover behaved and sounded exactly the same. So I am suspecting that this is just the nature of the device...

Yeah, but that was a "Mazda", this is a LEXUS!
Old 09-06-07, 08:08 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had TSBI NV001-07 TONNEAU COVER LATCH RATTLE done today. It was making noise while on highway. So Lexus replaced rear door spacers. It seems to be okay now.
Old 09-06-07, 08:19 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

I have the same rattle. But it comes and goes. Seems to be worst when its cold
Old 09-06-07, 08:30 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

My '08 is in the shop right now for a creak repair. An attempt was made a few weeks ago and it's back, unfortuntely. They are digging into the roof as they suspect it's related to the sunroof monting mechanicals. They adjusted those before and the noise was gone. However, those parts may have worked themselves loose again.

One of the explanations offered by the dealer related to the tonneau cover. He stated the 2 latches that activate the "automatic" retraction, as the hatch is lifted, rub against their mating pins on the hatch itself. That causes some of the noise and may be what you are hearing.

Another explanation has to do with the rear seats and the sound of leather rubbing. Apparently the seats move as we drive and the leather makes a creaking noise as adjoining seats rub. You can experience the same thing moving around in a leather chair.

I was not aware of the TSB and am calling the dealer shortly to pass that on for investigation while it's there.
Old 09-06-07, 06:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MC Wong
I have the same rattle. But it comes and goes. Seems to be worst when its cold
You have the 7 spoke Graphite Rims, too? Awesome!
Old 09-07-07, 03:39 AM
MC Wong
Rookie

Thats right my friend. Got them for a bargain and I still maintained my OEM look.
Old 09-07-07, 04:41 AM
Losiho
Driver

Lock the cover in place (so that it doesn't automatically retract when the cargo door opens).

My cover is practically silent whilst locked in place.
Old 09-07-07, 06:37 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We haven't experience this problem on the 330, but our old 300 did exactly this after removing and replacing the shade a few times to fit big cargo. I was prepared to either shim or lubricate the mounts to stop it, but found a good smack with an open palm seated the cross-bar (the end with the roller) in its mounts and the noise stopped permanently. Somehow the bar had not fully latched in place.

Squeaking is caused by motion and friction. The way you stop almost any squeak is to eliminate either. If you can't keep that strut from moving (even the tiniest amount), give it a bit of dry silicon lube (apply with cloth, not direct spray), or rub in a bit of pure lanolin. This soft white "grease" is what keeps sheep waterproof and unfrizzy, and is the base for many expensive skin creams.

Get about a teaspoonful from your pharmacist (back in the prescription section) and rub a dot of it on the surfaces where the offending parts touch. Wipe off any excess with your hands (it's actually good for your skin). This stuff has no scent, is not greasy, will not harm leather (it's actually good for it, being a natural product of the skin), and is an excellent penetrating and water-resistant lubricant.

That spoonful should last you for years. Use it sparingly on sticky snaps and recalcitrant zippers on tents, tonneaus, and even your clothing. It lasts for months and is non-staining.
Old 09-09-07, 03:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mine is locked in place, too and of course do not squeek!