RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket Bluetooth for Rx330 (2005, AWD; US)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 10:56 AM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Bluetooth for Rx330 (2005, AWD; US)

So I made a big mistake. It's my first luxury car, and when they started adding up Navi and technology package, the numbers scared me and I told them no. Huge mistake.

I have a bluetooth phone and want to get Bluetooth in the car. I wanted to get the Motorola HF500 which is a hard wire kit for car install.

Has anyone done this already? If so, any regrets or praises? is it even possible with the RX330?

i'd rather find out now than after spending $175 and $50 /hr for a mechanic.

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-05, 11:33 AM
katzjamr
Driver

Default bluetooth

I think it would be easier, cheaper and better sound if you used a bluetooth headset. I have the bluetooth and nav in my 400h and the nav is great but the blutooth thru the nav is not always clear. My motorola hs 820 headset is comfortable, clear, has volume adjustment, lets me be hands free and can be used anywhere. I use it with a treo 650 phone.
Old 09-14-05, 03:09 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have the BT in my 04RX330 b/c they didn't offer it until 05. but i do have the nav. the nav is by far the best part of that package, worth every penny.

i do, however, have the BT in my 06GS430 and it works well, but as katz mentioned above, sometimes the sound is not clear and there is a delay in relaying dialed calls from your handset to the speakers, which many callers find annoying. it's a nice feature, although it's far from being a "must-have" because headsets or mobile BT units might be a little more friendly. i am sure lexus will get the bugs and features sorted out in another year or two.

don't forget that you can't dial out on the BT system anyway while driving, unless you mod your car to override this safety feature. i use my nokia speakerphone in the RX to get hands-free use.
Old 09-15-05, 05:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you are talking about intergrating an aftermarket bluetooth wireless handsfree car kit into the RX's audio system or simply just installing such a kit in the car. Eitherway, I have an Ericson bluetooth kit in one of my other cars and it works great. It doesn't run through the stock system because it uses its own speaker and mic. You can wire the audio interupt mute wire to the factory system though so the audio system mutes when you are making or receiving a call. I'm planning on putting on in the my 04 RX soon and I can't forese any reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 09-22-05, 01:29 PM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

katzjamr ... I appreciate your post. You made an excellent point and actually went with purchasing a Motorola bluetooth wireless speaker ($50; 1 Watt speaker so its loud enough). it doesn't have all the fancy stuff that the car would, but I didn't really need it. Thanks for saving me 200+ dollars!!!

lexuslover ... maybe it is good I didn't get it. I am jealous that you have the new GS430 . I test drove it while getting my free oil change 2 weeks ago. Mighty fine car.

Ck6speed ... i was told by best buy that they wouldn't install anything into the car since the lexus sound system works off some central computer which they won't touch. that's why i thought it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-22-05, 02:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sxn179
Ck6speed ... i was told by best buy that they wouldn't install anything into the car since the lexus sound system works off some central computer which they won't touch. that's why i thought it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the post.
Do yyou have the full rear seat entertainment system? I haven't dove into mine fully, but I was able to install a complete aftermarket A/V system bypassing the stock amp and using the stock speakers. Here is a link to what I did https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169913 I didn't notice anything in the RX system that would be different from the rest. Anyway, like I mentioned above. Most of the wireless handsfree kits are made to be totally independent and comes with its own mic and speakers. At worse id you somehow can't tie it into the OEM mute system (I can't see why not though) everything else will work fine but you just have to manually turn down tthe volume when you have a call.
Old 10-29-05, 10:51 AM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

ugh i wrote this long thing and then i hit backspace by mistake and now you'll get the summary :-P

I didn't get the rear seat system. Although i checked out your link and I like that much better. As for the A/V system, I'd trust you over the high schooler at Besy Buy who told me that. I'm happy with the hands free speaker phone that i have now. I can hear people fine and they can hear me ... next time around I know what to do though.

thanks for your posts folks.
Old 10-29-05, 03:51 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i...snip

don't forget that you can't dial out on the BT system anyway while driving, unless you mod your car to override this safety feature. ...
I added Sprint Voice Command to my service. To get into that system for voice dialing, you dial *send. I programmed *send into the first one-touch button in the car's system, and now have voice dialing while moving.
Old 02-23-07, 08:53 AM
farzad
Driver School Candidate

i think the fact that lexus bundles a $50 bluetooth chip in with a $7500 GPS system is a complete jip. i have a 2005 without navi - i can see the microphone slots in the rearview mirror, theres no reason they shouldnt have bluetooth in this vehicle. i have no need for GPS and didnt see the purpose in paying 7k extra just for bluetooth.
Old 02-26-07, 06:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by farzad
i think the fact that lexus bundles a $50 bluetooth chip in with a $7500 GPS system is a complete jip. i have a 2005 without navi - i can see the microphone slots in the rearview mirror, theres no reason they shouldnt have bluetooth in this vehicle. i have no need for GPS and didnt see the purpose in paying 7k extra just for bluetooth.
WTF are you talking about? Nav/bluetooth is a $2650 option. If you're referring to the fact that many dealers include it in the "Premium Plus Package - Luxury Value Edition with Additional Options" package for $6190 (not $7500), then that's disingenuous at best, seeing as it already includes everything in the $2231 "Premium Package - Luxury Value Edition with Additional Options". Unless, that is, you wanted/purchased an RX330 with non-power cloth seats, in which case the incremental cost for an in-stock car with Nav (among dozens of other things) over one with absolutely no equipment is indeed $6190--which still isn't $7500.

Assuming you actually wanted leather, power seats, memory, a moonroof, roof rack, and heated seats, the incremental cost is now $3959. But again, there's other things included in that 4 large. Like HID headlights ($815) and 18" wheels ($500).

So, if you factor in ONLY in-stock vehicles, I guess it's fair to say it's a $4k nav system/bluetooth--half of your figure. If you were willing to order, the actual cost is still $2650, but if you limit yourself to what's on the lot, it costs an extra 4 grand. Unless, again, you wanted a stripped RX with cloth, no power, moonroof or anything. In which case, we're back to special ordering anyway.....or heading over to the Toyota dealer for a Highlander.

As for offering bluetooth without the nav system, now we're talking about additional hours of R&D coming up with a display/interface other than the Nav unit with which to register your phone and handle dialing/phonebook/etc duties. And additional expense at purchase time. Let's say $5-800? Unless hands-free conversation is the only thing you're after, and will handle everything else directly from the phone's interface. In which case, this is different than a BT earpiece exactly how?