RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Adjusting Fan Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 04:58 AM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexuslover,

First, thanks for your prompt reply and continued input.

One of my objectives was to minimize the number of interactions with the dashboard/navigation screen while driving. The Auto-Transition was initially set to OFF, thus I had to manually return from CLIMATE to MAP. Keeping with my objective, once I change the fan speed via the CLIMATE screen I'd like the navigation to automatically return to MAP, which is my desired default. One of the factors that will determine if I keep this Auto-Transition setting is how long it takes to transition back to MAP. Often I'm viewing the INFO or MENU screens and don't want to immediately transition back to MAP; if it returns to MAP too quickly then I'll have to turn Auto-Transition OFF again.

Your not experiencing an MPG falloff from running the A/C is, admittedly, counter-intuitive (although I did turn AUTO ON yesterday after reading your earlier comments). I'm hoping that other forum readers will contribute to this thread while I perform some measurements of my own. Unfortunately, my wife does most of the driving on this car and I would characterize it as stop and go, making exact measurements very difficult. I also don't have a good base, or control, number to start with. I will try it over the next couple of weeks and report my observations.

Steve
Old 10-19-05, 03:14 AM
2004RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by RHODY401
If you like AUTO and don't want it to automatically change the fan speed (based on conditions), why not lock it in to a particular low speed? Hit AUTO, then CLIMATE and pick the desired speed. It will remember this, even after you turn the vehicle off and on again. The auto light goes off, but it still remembers the other settings.

If you like AUTO and don't want to run the a/c pump, why not turn it off? Hit AUTO, then CLIMATE and touch the A/C button. It will go off and the vehicle will remember the other settings, even if you turn it off and on again. Everything else will still be auto.

At least that is my understanding of how it works. It's very flexible and efficient.

Best regards
Mike
Then how do you turn the AUTO back to normal in this case??
Old 10-19-05, 09:33 AM
RHODY401
Rookie

>Then how do you turn the AUTO back to normal in this case??

If you push the AUTO button again, it will disregard any overrides you have (a/c off, fan locked in at low speed, etc) and resume fully automatic mode.

Mike
Old 11-05-05, 07:17 AM
muok
Driver School Candidate

AUTO is the best way to go. When the blower is on AUTO mode, it will decide when to start/stop the A/C, when to open/close the outside vents and the fan speed. Basically, AUTO made really is the best mode for all round economy.

It's detailed in the car manual.
Old 11-05-05, 12:27 PM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Based upon a lot of helpful comments and recommendations from fellow forum participants we have adopted the AUTO mode and manually turned off the A/C. The vehicle automatically varies both the fan speed and air mode (bi-level, vent, and floor) as needed. This seems to be working fine and the car remembers our selection when we turn it OFF/ON. One slip of the tongue that got me going down the wrong path was that my salesman, who is the most knowledgeable person I've met and who the service department relies on heavily because he is so knowledgeable, initially told me that I'd have to reset the AUTO settings each and every time I powered on the car. Obviously, this is a mistake, but we are all human. Right? Any way, we are good for now ... but I still wish I had a fan speed **** like my TL. I hate comparing vehicles because they each excel in their own way, but I'm a creature of habit and have grown accustomed to having a control **** to exercise my independence.

Steve
Old 11-05-05, 12:31 PM
muok
Driver School Candidate

Yes, but once you get used to that AUTO feature, you will forget all about control *****.
Old 11-12-08, 07:48 PM
zakyntho1
Driver School Candidate

i read somewhere that a/c goes off if outside temp is under 32 f
Old 11-12-08, 08:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

AC "on" does not mean the compressor is engaged. Thermostat setting vs cabin temperature and "defrost" mode control it.

Few people will disagree, but "Auto" setting along with your desired temperature is very well thought of by Lexus. It will control fan speed and vent controls to help your cabin get to the desired temperature most efficiently.

Fan speed control, got integrated into the navi-screen. Nav and direct fan control are one or the another choice.

Salim
Old 11-13-08, 08:45 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After fours years of driving my RX I don't think I've ever needed to override the Auto settings other than adjusting the temp controls. Of course the temp my wife likes on 'her side' sometimes doesn't agree with 'my side'. I still laugh at the need for separate temperature settings.
Old 11-14-08, 05:51 AM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto not for everyone

I have to agree with SteveRX330 on this one. I find it annoying that it takes three times as many actions to adjust my fan than in most vehicles. In this case I think Lexus wanted a technologically advanced system to match it's image and the result is not as efficient as older systems. The separate temp control buttons are perfect, all they had to do was put a fan up button and a fan down button next to the temp and viola! you have highly efficient controls. As for the Auto setting, I have to override it about half the time. For example, it always wants to work and never rest. In moderate temps it goes from warm air to cool air when it reaches a certain trigger point. In these cases I usually shut the whole system off because when the temp is perfect, the system can rest for awhile. Another cause for override is a sunny winter day. The thermostat for these systems is usually high in the cabin. When the sun warms the upper cabin in the winter and my feet are freezing, the system pumps out cool air to cool the cabin. I agree that you can make the adjustments you want by adjusting the temp control, but by doing that you are essentially controlling it manually so why not just admit the system isn't perfect at all times and take control of it? On the other hand, I really like the auto setting for the wipers. In my other cars I frequently adjust the intermittent setting when rain is not totally steady. In the RX I just sit back and admire the ever adjusting wipers. This also frees me up to manage the climate control more.
Old 11-12-12, 04:12 PM
bnewcol
Rookie

Default I agree with Steve

Originally Posted by lexuslover
dealer is not necessary. it's in the MENU button functions. you can select On or Off on your own. when auto transition is off, it will stay on climate until you select otherwise. when you turn off the car, however, it will revert back to "i agree", although the auto transition is still Off, you do not have to reset it each time. it stays that way until you change it. (1 exception - if you are on Info screen, it will stay there even after car is restarted)
I agree with Steve - it is a pain in the ....to not have a fan speed button on the panel, ah the good old days in my 1999 4Runner. I use vent setting a LOT and am annoyed at the constant "auto" coming on using AC whenever I turn the car on. I just want outside air, no AC and to always have to adjust that when I turn on the car is irritating when I think of the money spent on the vehicle. The fact that it doesn't remember where you had it at when you turn the car off bothers me too, always having to turn the map navi window off when I turn on the car (I did set the auto to "off", but it still reverts back to the map screen whenever you turn the car off and start it up again). Steve is right, for a $40K vehicle, seriously?

Is there no way to override the navi to stay on the screen you had it on when you turned the car off? And for the climate setting to stay on what it was when you turned the vehicle off, not go to "Auto" when it starts up? For $40K, it should remember where it was, like the seat position settings.

I was wondering, if I removed the navi DVD from the trunk, there would be no map for it to go to, what would happen? Would the whole navi system not work and I would not be able to adjust my fan?

Last edited by bnewcol; 11-12-12 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typos