RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

No open moon roof chime

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 02:15 PM
macpl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No open moon roof chime

Recently I have noticed that when my moonroof is open and I turn off my vehicle, I do not get the chime sound that indicates the moon roof is open. My dealer is 200 miles away and I reallly do not wish to make the trip there. Is there is something simple that may be causing this? Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.

05 RX 330, AWD
Old 10-23-05, 03:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Moonroof chime? Looks like I missed out on that feature. Of course my "04" 330 (built in spring of '03) may be kinda strange, being an early production unit . . . I guess I don't have the "window down", "glovebox open", or "ashtray full" chimes either. Shortchanged again!

- j/k Try taking your key out of the ignition, turning off the headlights, or closing the driver's door.
Old 10-23-05, 09:00 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no moon roof chime to my knowledge!! Im sure it does not have one
Old 10-23-05, 09:01 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Moonroof chime? Looks like I missed out on that feature. Of course my "04" 330 (built in spring of '03) may be kinda strange, being an early production unit . . . I guess I don't have the "window down", "glovebox open", or "ashtray full" chimes either. Shortchanged again!

- j/k Try taking your key out of the ignition, turning off the headlights, or closing the driver's door.

window down", "glovebox open", or "ashtray full" chimes either. Shortchanged again!

That is some funny chit right there
Old 10-23-05, 01:37 PM
macpl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default page 129 owners manual

On page 129 of the RX330 owners manual: "If the moon roof is left open when you turn the ignition key to "ACC" or "LOCK" position and open the drivers door, a buzzer will remind you to close the moon roof."

I had this buzzer/chime for the first 6 months or so of ownership. Now I do not get the sound. It is beginning to sound as tho no one has a working open moonroof chime/buzzer?????
Old 10-23-05, 03:35 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was totally unaware of this feature until I read this thread and checked the manual.

Now you folks made me wonder how this works...

The chime is a single beep that sounds identical to the warning chime that sounds when you open the driver's door with the key in the ignition. If you don't pull the key out of the ignition before you open the door, you'll never notice this feature.

To hear it, here are the exact steps I had to follow:

1. Turn the ignition to "ON".
2. Open the moonroof - either slide open or tilt up.
3. Turn the ignition to "OFF".
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Open the driver's door.

As I said, you'll hear one single chime that's identical to the "left the key in the ignition" chime.

I would never, ever associate that sound with the moonroof. Even knowing this feature was there, it took me a couple of tries to realize I had to pull the key out before opening the door. I kept trying to open the door with the key "OFF" but in the ignition, and I was expecting to hear a new sound over the "key in the ignition" sound. Nope!
Old 10-23-05, 04:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdriver
I was totally unaware of this feature until I read this thread and checked the manual.

Now you folks made me wonder how this works...

The chime is a single beep that sounds identical to the warning chime that sounds when you open the driver's door with the key in the ignition. If you don't pull the key out of the ignition before you open the door, you'll never notice this feature.

To hear it, here are the exact steps I had to follow:

1. Turn the ignition to "ON".
2. Open the moonroof - either slide open or tilt up.
3. Turn the ignition to "OFF".
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Open the driver's door.

As I said, you'll hear one single chime that's identical to the "left the key in the ignition" chime.

I would never, ever associate that sound with the moonroof. Even knowing this feature was there, it took me a couple of tries to realize I had to pull the key out before opening the door. I kept trying to open the door with the key "OFF" but in the ignition, and I was expecting to hear a new sound over the "key in the ignition" sound. Nope!
Okay, I was able to get the chime to work using the method above. I agree, it is kind of lame. It is a single chime and that is it. You could miss it if there is noise outside, someonw is talking to you, or in my case my Alpine retractable monitor makes 3 beeping chimes when it is retracting so at times these chimes mast the sunroof open chime. Oh well, I never open the sunroof anyway.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 10-24-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 12:05 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

On the 400h, there's a chime and an actual message on the message center in the dashboard, with the warning sign flashing.

I think it's a great feature, too bad it doesn't warm you about the windows. I've left my roof tilted up a few times on my other cars.
Old 10-27-05, 07:57 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sunroof feature/ flaw

since we are on the sunroof topic, thought I would post my rant since the 2nd week of ownership.

My '99 Rx, when sunroof is open, the inside cover for it can still be closed. I found out when my kids played with it and closed it, resulting in my only finding out the sunroof was open 24 hours later. Lucky it did not rain that night.

My Bmw is designed so that when the sunroof is open, the cover from the inside will not close beyond the point where the sunroof is open..

Lexus should have designed it the same way
Old 10-28-05, 05:28 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

In fact, the BMW automatically slides back the shade with you tilt the roof up, which is probably why you can't close it all the way while the roof is still tilted up.

Originally Posted by Fern
since we are on the sunroof topic, thought I would post my rant since the 2nd week of ownership.

My '99 Rx, when sunroof is open, the inside cover for it can still be closed. I found out when my kids played with it and closed it, resulting in my only finding out the sunroof was open 24 hours later. Lucky it did not rain that night.

My Bmw is designed so that when the sunroof is open, the cover from the inside will not close beyond the point where the sunroof is open..

Lexus should have designed it the same way