RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Winter Tires and Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 01:48 PM
vtwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires and Wheels

I want to put snow tires on my 2005 RX 330 for the VT winter and to manage our very long, steep driveway. I am leaning toward 17" wheels to maximize traction. I have received two tire recommendations: the Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ 3 and the Dunlop Grand Trek SJ6. I had heard that in prior years the Blizzaks only used the softer winter tread compound on the outer depth of the tread (in theory because the Japanese changed tires annually in the fall, using the outer tread for winter and the better handling, normal rubber compound the following summer). Has anyone had experience with either of these tires (or last year's version), or do you have any other winter tire that you would highly recommend? Finally, will I have any trouble with after market wheels from TireRack?
Old 10-29-05, 02:10 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In VT with long steep driveway.... I'd get studable snow tires or winter, especially if you have no time to melt the ice before you head to work. Cooper and Nokian have good studable tires. Check local law on stud tires though.

FWIW, size of wheel has no impact on winter traction.
Old 10-29-05, 10:40 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Usually for winter tires, people tend to get a more narrow tire instead of a tire with more width. The idea is to "slice" through the snow. I on the other hand like to stay stock.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Michelin X-Ice to you. As per consumer reports they are the "best" all around winter tire while being compared to 4 other major winter tires. (Consumer Reports Nov Issue)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...emodel=X%2DIce

I would definately go X-Ice, I know two people personally who have them on and they both love them.
Old 10-30-05, 06:45 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Usually for winter tires, people tend to get a more narrow tire instead of a tire with more width. The idea is to "slice" through the snow. I on the other hand like to stay stock.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Michelin X-Ice to you. As per consumer reports they are the "best" all around winter tire while being compared to 4 other major winter tires. (Consumer Reports Nov Issue)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...emodel=X%2DIce

I would definately go X-Ice, I know two people personally who have them on and they both love them.
No one mentioned the Michelin X-Ice because is is not available in the proper size for the RX. I am in the process of getiing a set of them for one of my other cars, a Pontiac Vibe.
Old 10-30-05, 12:49 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
No one mentioned the Michelin X-Ice because is is not available in the proper size for the RX. I am in the process of getiing a set of them for one of my other cars, a Pontiac Vibe.
I should have been more clear:

Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires designed for light duty trucks/SUV's. You will be able to find the correct size for the RX. (300 at least...)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...titude+X%2DIce
Old 10-30-05, 05:02 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I should have been more clear:

Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires designed for light duty trucks/SUV's. You will be able to find the correct size for the RX. (300 at least...)

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...titude+X%2DIce
You do realize that the first link that you provided for Michelin X-Ice is the tire that CR tested and does not come in the size for RX. The second link you provided is for the Lattitude X-Ice and is NOT the tire that CR tested and is a lower rated tire than the X-ICE both on the 10-10 tires link you provided and on the Michelin site.
Old 10-30-05, 05:40 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
You do realize that the first link that you provided for Michelin X-Ice is the tire that CR tested and does not come in the size for RX. The second link you provided is for the Lattitude X-Ice and is NOT the tire that CR tested and is a lower rated tire than the X-ICE both on the 10-10 tires link you provided and on the Michelin site.
Wow, did I strike a chord?

I'm not going to argue with you. Take my suggestions as... suggestions. The difference between the Latitude and normal is mainly the load ratings. True, CR didn't test the Latitudes, but i'm sure if they did, the findings wouldn't be far from the regular X-Ice.

Relax, VT just wants options and thats what we are here for.
Old 10-31-05, 04:10 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, did I strike a chord?

I'm not going to argue with you. Take my suggestions as... suggestions. The difference between the Latitude and normal is mainly the load ratings. True, CR didn't test the Latitudes, but i'm sure if they did, the findings wouldn't be far from the regular X-Ice.

Relax, VT just wants options and thats what we are here for.
I am very relaxed. Sorry if it didn't come accross that way. I was just trying to point ot that you recommended the X-Ice based on a CR test. Then posted a link to X-Ice which does not come in the RX size. Then when you posted a link to the Lattitude X-Ice which does come in the RX size it is not the tire CR tested and is ranked lower than the X-Ice by the manufacturer and the site you provided. And it is ranked lower pretty much accross the board in catagory ratings, not just load ratings.. I just didn't want someone to buy the Lattitude and think they were getting a CR high ranked tire based on the info or "suggestion" you provided. My guess is that if the manufacturer and the tire site are correct in their ratings, the Lattitude would come out much lower than the X-Ice if CR were to test them.

Last edited by mikey00; 11-01-05 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 07:42 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Fair enough

Could you link me to the manufacturer rating? I still can't find it.
Old 10-31-05, 10:23 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough

Could you link me to the manufacturer rating? I still can't find it.

Here you go:
http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pd...titudexice.pdf
http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_xice.pdf