RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need (URGENT) help to persuade my dad to move to the RX330

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 02:10 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need (URGENT) help to persuade my dad to move to the RX330

Hello RX330 owners.....

I'm now running out if ideas trying to persuade my dad to cancel his booking of the ML350 Luxury & move to the cheaper & well-equipped RX330 SL......

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TF

Last edited by ToyotaFan; 11-17-05 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 04:15 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe he should not switch

I have an RX330, have not driven an ML350 but looked one over at an auto show and read some car book stories on it.

I'm not so sure the ML350 is not the better small SUV if you accept the likely somewhat lower mileage and greater liklihood of having problems. Looks to me like you get more room and better performance with the ML350. If that (along with the Merc star) are important to your dad and he's willing to pay more for gas and (probably) see the dealer repair shop more than with an RX, he should go for it.

The RX330 is a good small SUV, but it is by no stretch head and shoulders above the competition. Lexus did some dumb things in its design.
Old 11-17-05, 05:29 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

Originally Posted by nopcbs
I have an RX330, have not driven an ML350 but looked one over at an auto show and read some car book stories on it.

I'm not so sure the ML350 is not the better small SUV if you accept the likely somewhat lower mileage and greater liklihood of having problems. Looks to me like you get more room and better performance with the ML350. If that (along with the Merc star) are important to your dad and he's willing to pay more for gas and (probably) see the dealer repair shop more than with an RX, he should go for it.

The RX330 is a good small SUV, but it is by no stretch head and shoulders above the competition. Lexus did some dumb things in its design.
We tried both cars but I prefer the RX330 Quality wise. I guess my dad is hooked not to the car, but the oversized three-pointed star.... Jeez........

The Rx330 Sport Luxury comes with everything & is cheaper, considering the amount of equipment you'll get on the RX330 Sport Luxury & off course, the quality & servicing part of owning a Lexus. The ML350 Luxury meanwhile, is quite empty, powered tailgate is an option, Xenons are an option, DVD NAV is optional, has no Bluetooth in the current waitinglist, & is more expensive(Even without the options, which standard equipment on the Lexi.) than the well-equipped RX330 SL.....

Oh yeah, me & my mum trust Japanese car quality & reliabilty too! (Had some pretty bad experience with our Citroen Xantia back in Malaysia.)

EDIT: The sales person tried to persuade him that the engineis quieter when it (sort off) isnt. The RX330 is much quieter in comparison.....

Last edited by ToyotaFan; 11-17-05 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 05:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a T-Shirt made saying: LIFE is Much Too Short To Drive A Mercedes-Benz !
Old 11-17-05, 01:23 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

I know I am comparing apples and oranges but my wife has a MB CLK and I have the Lexus RX 330. I put the MB over my RX. Again I know that is apples and oranges. I bought the Lexus because I thought it was more stylish, not because it was a better car ( my opinon again).

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-17-05, 02:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As an owner of an RX330, a husband, and a father of a 2 year old, I say let your dad buy what he wants just as long as he can afford it. If he is not hurting the families fanancial situation by buying the Mercedes let him be happy and enjoy his purchase during this time in his life. My bet is that he made a lot of personal sacrifices in his lifetime raising a family and such. Maybe this ML350 is just a reward to himself? That said, I too would have a tought time between the newer ML350s and RX. Between the old ML320 it wasn't a tough decision, but those new ML350s are not bad at all. I like our RX330, but it is the least Lexus like out of their line up and I'm definately not in love with it. It is a good car, but not the best.
Old 11-17-05, 03:22 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default rx330

The Mercedes will probably have better off road capability, however the Lexus should be more reliable. Lexus is coming out with the rx350 with a bigger engine if power is an issue. Perhaps your dad thinks the Merc is more masculine. My rx 400h has been an incredible SUV
Old 11-18-05, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
As an owner of an RX330, a husband, and a father of a 2 year old, I say let your dad buy what he wants just as long as he can afford it. If he is not hurting the families fanancial situation by buying the Mercedes let him be happy and enjoy his purchase during this time in his life. My bet is that he made a lot of personal sacrifices in his lifetime raising a family and such. Maybe this ML350 is just a reward to himself? That said, I too would have a tought time between the newer ML350s and RX. Between the old ML320 it wasn't a tough decision, but those new ML350s are not bad at all. I like our RX330, but it is the least Lexus like out of their line up and I'm definately not in love with it. It is a good car, but not the best.
i think you guys see too many RX's around... To most of us Europeans and probably Asians, it is ML that looks plain and booring while RX looks freaking fantastic.

As katz is right, did he check hybrid version of RX? RX400h is freaking awesome car in every possible way.
Old 11-18-05, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

and P.S. ML350 is not faster than RX330 - it is a lot heavier than RX...
Old 11-19-05, 01:40 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you guys see too many RX's around... To most of us Europeans and probably Asians, it is ML that looks plain and booring while RX looks freaking fantastic.

As katz is right, did he check hybrid version of RX? RX400h is freaking awesome car in every possible way.

I didn't say the RX330 was plain looking. In fact, I bought the wife the RX330 specifically because of te redesign over the RX300. I think it looks better than the older ML320/430. Now that I'm adding aaftermarket parts to the RX330 I think its turning out to be a very nice truck even if I'm not really an SUV/Truck guy. However, my coworker has a 2005 ML500 and I think it is a good SUV as well. Maybe history will show it isn't as reliable as the Japanese brand cars, but it still is one nice ride. Anyway, the only thing that really matters is the person buys what he wants. If his dad wants the Mercedes and can afford to own one I say let hiim buy what he wants.
Old 11-20-05, 08:13 PM
ph_RX330
Rookie

and P.S. ML350 is not faster than RX330 - it is a lot heavier than RX...
ML350 is about 800 lbs. heavier and believe it or not is actually quite a bit faster.....second faster from 0-60... thas considerable
Old 11-21-05, 06:05 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default You're right...

Originally Posted by ph_RX330
ML350 is about 800 lbs. heavier and believe it or not is actually quite a bit faster.....second faster from 0-60... thas considerable
...amd if Merc ever has at least the sense God gave a turnip, they'll put the turbo-diesel they put in the E-class in the ML in the U.S. and then it will have better acceleration and mileage than the RX400H.

This has already been demonstrated.
Old 11-22-05, 08:18 AM
ph_RX330
Rookie

...amd if Merc ever has at least the sense God gave a turnip, they'll put the turbo-diesel they put in the E-class in the ML in the U.S. and then it will have better acceleration and mileage than the RX400H.

Yeah ... another one of many mistakes. MB just isn't what it used to be. Go BMW or Lexus!

Check it out...
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7773686/site/newsweek/
Old 11-22-05, 12:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

huh? ML320cdi is significantly slower than RX400h, both in 0-60 and in passing times (even more so)... And thats because electric engines have even more torque than diesels...
Old 11-22-05, 04:28 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default You are right

huh? ML320cdi is significantly slower than RX400h, both in 0-60 and in passing times (even more so)... And thats because electric engines have even more torque than diesels...
The weight of the ML works against it in spite of the 357 lb.-ft. of torque.

I was remembering the high 6's 0-60 time of the last generation MB diesel in the E-Class. a lighter and less brick-like vehicle.

Quick Reply: Need (URGENT) help to persuade my dad to move to the RX330