RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Panoramic Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 07:00 PM
abcdefgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post removed

post removed

Last edited by abcdefgary; 01-24-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 07:08 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by abcdefgary
Hi. I just have a small question.
Over the weekend, I saw a parked RX330.
What made this one stand out from the others was that the roof was equipped with what appears to be the panoramic sunroof.
I did some research, but found that this is not an option.
Am I seeing things?
There are pictures on Edmunds of the RX330 that show what I saw exactly.

i just got an 06 RX brochure stating that its one of the option packages, i never actually seen on in life before, but i do want to see one
Old 11-17-05, 08:12 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they're not shipping that option to Canadian destinations.
In the United States, they tend to ship it only to good-weather locations such as California unless you special-order it.
The U.S. Lexus site does show the option:
http://www.lexus.com/models/rx/price_options.html
Old 11-17-05, 09:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read online that the panoramic roof was supposed to be an option on the new RX, and that some were made, but apparently they didn't go into full production....reliability issues?

Just a nice detail on the all new 2007 ES.
It will be available with a "glass roof" option for the 1st time. It is actually, just like the one in the Mercedes E class, a double sunroof, where only the 1st one opens up.
This option was supposed to be available on the RX, but I've never, ever seen one with it. I wonder if they had problems...
thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com
Old 11-17-05, 10:17 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've only seen one in the 2 1/2 yrs the RX has been out. it definitely made me do a double take, esp because the thing was open and the glass was stacked up. looked very neat-o.
Old 11-18-05, 04:43 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand a few units were shipped on spec (and assumed sold) in California shortly after the 330 was introduced in the spring of '03. There were some initial questions about the practicality of the option, considering the "greenhouse effect" it would have on the AC system and the potential for water leaks in the joints between panels. I don't recall anyone on CL mentioning problems with the Panoramic Roof - I believe one or two members either ordered the option or actually had an RX with the option. Both were in Cali - and something tells me they were somewhere north of LA. There were a few special orders placed from elsewhere in the country, but I don't think it was ever a successful, let alone a popular option.
Old 11-18-05, 06:44 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I understand a few units were shipped on spec (and assumed sold) in California shortly after the 330 was introduced in the spring of '03. There were some initial questions about the practicality of the option, considering the "greenhouse effect" it would have on the AC system and the potential for water leaks in the joints between panels. I don't recall anyone on CL mentioning problems with the Panoramic Roof - I believe one or two members either ordered the option or actually had an RX with the option. Both were in Cali - and something tells me they were somewhere north of LA. There were a few special orders placed from elsewhere in the country, but I don't think it was ever a successful, let alone a popular option.

i just honestly think that not enough people knew about it, i mean i would have never known about it unless i didnt read about it
Old 11-18-05, 07:29 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

If Lexus was going to put them into major production, you can be sure they would have made sure people "knew about" the panoramic moonroof.
Old 11-18-05, 07:17 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default roof

I read in another forum where the panoramic roof panels were noisy and prone to leaking so lexus put them on the down low.
Old 11-18-05, 09:04 PM
LexFather

The panaramic roof is produced in the Japanese plant only. That plant was being convereted to produce the RX 400h, so the panaramic roof was not pushed by dealers, since they didn't have the capacity for it.

There have been no know quality issues to date. Its just a rare find.
Old 11-19-05, 07:01 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The early 2004 models had a rattle problem, but that was fixed in October 2003 with re-designed drive rails. Otherwise, as 1SICKLEX posted, there aren't any problems with it. In fact, the giant hole in the roof doesn't even compromise safety.
Old 11-19-05, 05:19 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In September 2003, a friend of mine, who worked for Lexus Canadian Headquarters brought home an executive demo for me to try an extended test drive since no Toronto dealer would entertain such a request. The model that he happen to bring home was Flint Mica with the huge sunroof. It was fine and let in a greal deal of light except for the fact that it was a bit on the noisy side. The glass panels seemed to clatter a bit as I was on my 2 hour extended test. In fact, if the vehicle had had a regular sunroof I would have bought it, since Lexus had finished using it in its fleet.. I have not seen any since and I know for a fact that the vehicle that I tested was built in Japan since the Cambridge plant was not fully operational at that time. I do believe that the huge sunroof model is sourced exclusively in Japan. Interesting to note, that I have not seen any of those models recently in Ontario. A plus for the huge sunroof is that the roof rack, that is seldon used by anyone is deleted since the panels stack accordeon-like at the rear of the opening save for the front panel, which I believe just lifts up to serve as a wind deflector. (I am going on memory here) .

dentate
near Toronto, ON
Old 11-22-05, 01:03 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a brief clip of the panoramic roof here:

http://www.lexus.com.tw/model/rx/download.htm#

It's the middle of the white buttons, or the one with 6 Chinese characters. The file, b.rm, has an RX commercial in Chinese with a shot of the roof.

And the button doesn't work for me in Firefox, but does work in IE.
Old 12-05-05, 07:11 PM
RyanLBart
Driver School Candidate

Default I have one!!

I have a 2005 RX330 with the panoramic roof. I special ordered the car just for the moonroof. The roof is awesome- but it is noisy and it is very windy when it is open. Let me know if you would like to see pictures!
Old 12-07-05, 10:53 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof?