RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone removed the roof ack on an RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 04:47 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone removed the roof ack on an RX330?

I'm thinking of removing the roof rack on our RX330 for improved fuel economy, wind noise, and esthetics. (I think that roof rack is a silly affection by Toyota as it is so light-duty as to be almost useless and I have NEVER seen anyone carrying anything on the roof of any RX, anyway.)

Anyone done this and if yes, do you end up with a finished look? Do you have to by any replacement fittings to plug any holes in the roof?

Merci.

- GRL
Old 12-10-05, 09:04 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I assume you are not only thinking of removing the slats [pieces that run across], but also the rails (they run the length, one on each side.

Removing the slats is easy, but do mark the location in case you want to put them back on to get the same level of wind noise.

Try this for couple of days and if you want to remove the rails, you will need to contact a body-shop. Expect to have a channel where the plastic piece comes off.

To each his own, to me without the slats, the RX looks as if it is missing some thing.

Salim
Old 12-10-05, 10:47 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default The whole thing

Originally Posted by salimshah
I assume you are not only thinking of removing the slats [pieces that run across], but also the rails (they run the length, one on each side.

Removing the slats is easy, but do mark the location in case you want to put them back on to get the same level of wind noise.

Try this for couple of days and if you want to remove the rails, you will need to contact a body-shop. Expect to have a channel where the plastic piece comes off.

To each his own, to me without the slats, the RX looks as if it is missing some thing.

Salim

Yep, I woud like to take the whole thing off. Had not thought of removing just slats as I thought the whole thing was a single unit. Good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-10-05, 11:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have removed RX300 roof rack. You can do a search, I believe it is also discussed in the past how to remove from RX330. You will see less wind noise, better mpg and save your roofrack's paint from peeling due to UV damage.
I have seen exactly one RX in 5 years that uses its roofrack (for skis), obviously for > 95% of us we will never going to use it, just keep it up there because it come standard. Another interesting thing I recently noticed, ultility vehicles such as trucks and full size vans do not even offer roofrack as an option. Obviously they don't provide useful functions for these work vehicles. Non wagon cars from sport cars to luxury sedans never have roof rack either. IMHO, they don't look good and degrades performance. Take a look at what Porsche put on their US web site for Cayenne - no roof rack either, roofrack is an optional for all three models offered.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone removed the roof ack on an RX330?-cayenne.jpg  
Old 12-10-05, 05:26 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I as well as someone else in the RX330 forum have already removed our roof racks. Supposedly my friend said there is a plug to plug up the two bolt holes (One each corner) but I could not locate them. What I did was run a bead of silicone around the plastic bolt hole guide so water would not run into the car. Then, instead of plugging up the actual hole with silicone (Just in case I want to replace the racks when I sell the car I want it reversable) I used some aluminum tape to conver up the holes in the channel. Now, what you still have is a gap left in the rubber channe weather strip where the racks mounts were located. You have two options. If you can someone find a Lexus parts department to order the full weather channel made for the RX330s with Panoramic roof (The do not come with roof racks) you can buy that part number and install it. The other option is what the rest of us did and that was to but the part number weather channel for the longer inner section, cut it to size and glue it with glue appropriate for rubber to the 4 spots needed. What you end up with is one long rubber weather channel strip, only you pieced it together rather than it being the full OEM one. Still works though and I have not had any leaks.

Here is how mine came out. This is a pic at a local car show.
Old 12-11-05, 12:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Dump it and you will be much happier. Like TunedRX300, I did this on mine back in early 2004 on my RX300.

Remember roof racks are for putting something up there, otherwise you don't need them.
Old 12-11-05, 10:23 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Thanks for the good information. ...

One question, though. It seems that it should nt be difficult to buy a proper sized stainless bolt or machine screw to put in any holes that are left when the roof rack is removed. Not having progressed that far, is this reasonable? I didn't realize the panoramic roof mdels did not come with a rack. I'll see if I can get the weatherstrip from Bell Lexus parts who seem eager to do businss over internet.

Again, thanks.

- GRL

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I as well as someone else in the RX330 forum have already removed our roof racks. Supposedly my friend said there is a plug to plug up the two bolt holes (One each corner) but I could not locate them. What I did was run a bead of silicone around the plastic bolt hole guide so water would not run into the car. Then, instead of plugging up the actual hole with silicone (Just in case I want to replace the racks when I sell the car I want it reversable) I used some aluminum tape to conver up the holes in the channel. Now, what you still have is a gap left in the rubber channe weather strip where the racks mounts were located. You have two options. If you can someone find a Lexus parts department to order the full weather channel made for the RX330s with Panoramic roof (The do not come with roof racks) you can buy that part number and install it. The other option is what the rest of us did and that was to but the part number weather channel for the longer inner section, cut it to size and glue it with glue appropriate for rubber to the 4 spots needed. What you end up with is one long rubber weather channel strip, only you pieced it together rather than it being the full OEM one. Still works though and I have not had any leaks.

Here is how mine came out. This is a pic at a local car show.
Old 12-11-05, 02:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nopcbs
One question, though. It seems that it should nt be difficult to buy a proper sized stainless bolt or machine screw to put in any holes that are left when the roof rack is removed. Not having progressed that far, is this reasonable? I didn't realize the panoramic roof mdels did not come with a rack. I'll see if I can get the weatherstrip from Bell Lexus parts who seem eager to do businss over internet.

Again, thanks.

- GRL
It is possible but there might not be enough room unless you can get a really flat headed bolt. Let me describe it the best I can. In the roof channel they have holes that go right though the roof. Within these holes they have plastic inserts (Probably has a metal treaded sleeve within it to accept the roof rack bolts). These plastic sleeves are not flush with the roof channel and stick up just a bit. When I tried putting the roof rack bolt back in all they way it sticks up enough where you wouldn't be able to get the rubber weather strip back over it. Now, the roof rack bolts are pretty large, so maybe if you get a bolt that has a thin head it may have enough clearance. If you can it should be good to go.

Here is a pic of the panoramic roof RX. Notice no roof racks but it appears it still has the weather strip. If you can get the part number please post it up. In the RX330/400H forum in one of the topics there is the part number for the center strip for roof rack equiped cars so it would be nice to get a collection or these part numbers for reference.

Chris

Last edited by CK6Speed; 12-11-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 03:38 PM
nopcbs
Driver

I sent an e-mail asking for a quote from Bell Lexus in AZ. It might be possable to come up with a low plastic or stainless bolt or grind the head down so it would fit under the weatherstrip. A screw might have a low enough head to work. I think it likely that the roof rack holes are drilled in all RX330's, so maybe there is even a Lexus part that woul do the job. I think you mentioned using silicone RTV to fill the holes. The normal stuff gives of acetic acid as it cures, but there is a Dow-Corning grade that does not give off acetic acid and I think that would be better to use to minimize corrosion danger.

That white RX330 w/o the roof rack looks lower and sleeker than the ones with a rack. Sometimes I wonder about the decisions that Toyota makes. Sigh.

- GRL

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It is possible but there might not be enough room unless you can get a really flat headed bolt. Let me describe it the best I can. In the roof channel they have holes that go right though the roof. Within these holes they have plastic inserts (Probably has a metal treaded sleeve within it to accept the roof rack bolts). These plastic sleeves are not flush with the roof channel and stick up just a bit. When I tried putting the roof rack bolt back in all they way it sticks up enough where you wouldn't be able to get the rubber weather strip back over it. Now, the roof rack bolts are pretty large, so maybe if you get a bolt that has a thin head it may have enough clearance. If you can it should be good to go.

Here is a pic of the panoramic roof RX. Notice no roof racks but it appears it still has the weather strip. If you can get the part number please post it up. In the RX330/400H forum in one of the topics there is the part number for the center strip for roof rack equiped cars so it would be nice to get a collection or these part numbers for reference.

Chris
Old 12-11-05, 05:39 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes I wonder about the decisions that Toyota makes. Sigh.
I think the U.S. dealers deserve the blame. Back in 2002 when I got my RX, the sunroof and roof rack were both options. Most dealers standardized on ordering both (probably to raise profit margins). I special ordered mine without both, and it came with the removable roof rack anyway (for which I wasn't charged).
Old 12-11-05, 05:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I think you mentioned using silicone RTV to fill the holes. The normal stuff gives of acetic acid as it cures, but there is a Dow-Corning grade that does not give off acetic acid and I think that would be better to use to minimize corrosion danger.

- GRL
I see. Anyway, I didn't fill the actual holes with silicone, but filled the gap between the plastic insert and hole in the roof. The insert is not a tight fit and there is a gap all around it so water can get in through there. Trust me, I washed my car and found out With the roof rack mounting hardware and seals I guess it is sealed up enough were water doesn't normaly enter. The weather strip itself may provide enough seal, but I didn't want to take that chance. Heck, I probably could remove the silicone now that I put the aluminum tape over the entire bolt hole area. That seams to seal it off more than adequately.
Old 12-12-05, 05:51 PM
bvend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 4 plastic inserts to pickup at the lexus Dealer to fill in the slots left when I take off the roof rack. It seems Lexus makes this car in other countries without the roof rack standard so there are inserts that should fit perfectly. I post again after I get them in a few days

06 RX400
Old 12-13-05, 01:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bvend
I've got 4 plastic inserts to pickup at the lexus Dealer to fill in the slots left when I take off the roof rack. It seems Lexus makes this car in other countries without the roof rack standard so there are inserts that should fit perfectly. I post again after I get them in a few days

06 RX400

Perfect. If you can post up some part numberslater on that would be nice
Old 12-29-05, 04:37 PM
bvend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they didnt work. no way to connect them. took them back and bought 1 rubber insert molding which i will cut and fit in place
Old 12-30-05, 01:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bvend
they didnt work. no way to connect them. took them back and bought 1 rubber insert molding which i will cut and fit in place
Thanks for the update. That is pretty much what the rest of us ended up doing.

Quick Reply: Anyone removed the roof ack on an RX330?