RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sirius Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06 | 05:53 AM
schwimbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Sirius Radio Installation

I am planning on installing my Sirius Radio this weekend in my 2005 Rx330. I am interested in understanding how best to wire the attenna. Does anyone have any great success in wiring the attenna. Did you place the wires outside of the car or did you stay 100% inside? Any info would help. Pictures are a plus. Thanks.
Old 01-05-06 | 07:02 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default XM Roadie...

Originally Posted by schwimbo
I am planning on installing my Sirius Radio this weekend in my 2005 Rx330. I am interested in understanding how best to wire the attenna. Does anyone have any great success in wiring the attenna. Did you place the wires outside of the car or did you stay 100% inside? Any info would help. Pictures are a plus. Thanks.
The same concept could be used for Sirius ...but I've installed an XM Roadie myself in my RX330. Everything i needed came in the kit.

The only external visible wire is the magnetic antenna that I mounted on the roof above the back hatch near the RX330's antenna. Everything else is hidden.

For the XM Roadie - the antenna doubles as an FM Transmitted also -- so I wanted to place it as close to the antenna as possible...

* I ran the wire inside the rubber weatherstrip around the rear hatch seal to the bottom black plastic plate
* Then I ran the wire under the carpeting to the left rear passenger's seat
* Then continued the wire under the left rear passenger door sill
* Continued the wire under the driver's door sill
* Then ran the wire under the Driver's floor mat to the center console

By luck - the center console has a cigarette adapter on the floor.

Everything was done in about 10 minutes without any tools....if you want pictures - just ask and I can snap some at home...I was prepared to take it to a shop for a better installation if this didn't work, but reception is great so there wasn't a reason to spend any more $$.
Old 01-05-06 | 07:32 AM
schwimbo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Any pictures you can provide would be very helpful.
Old 01-05-06 | 05:23 PM
vp911
Intermediate

I bought the sirius kit from a lexus dealer and I ended up buying a low profile antenna from circuit city - this because the one that came with the kit was enormous. I ran it behind the weatherstrip on the pass. front door and to the dash. The antenna is on the dash in the corner closest to the glass and pillar.
Old 01-05-06 | 09:19 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default XM Installation in 10 minutes, no tools!

Originally Posted by schwimbo
Thanks for the info. Any pictures you can provide would be very helpful.
Here ya go...the green line represents the Antenna Line (which is also the FM Transmitter line). I chose to place the antenna at the back hatch so its close to the RX330's antenna...

Only about 2" of wire is visible, and the magnetic mount for the XM antenna is STRONG.

Tucked the wire under the weatherstrip, ran it to the bottom plastic piece. You'll find a 1 CM break in the plastic parts where you can cut into the Cargo area and run under the carpeting to the side of the rear seat.

Continue running the wire from behind the seat to under the door sill

Continue running the wire from the rear passenger door sill to the driver's door sill (about 4" of black wire will be visible - but this is in a part of the car thats very tough to reach (much less see). I was running out of wire at this point, so instead of going behind the pedals, I cut straight across to the center console's floor deck.

And we're done! The XM Roadie came with a sticky velcro mount - I just mounted the Roadie on the floor - the cigarette adapter is already there. Pick a FM frequency - and you now have satellite radio signals coming out of the RX330's radio.

The only problem with this solution is the controls, and the display are down on the floor. So I've learned to be pretty adept at changing channels by feel. I could also invest in a remote-control and change channels with the remote.

Now if I wasn't so lazy - and I really wanted to see the display more clearly I had 2 options...
* The Roadie came with a air-vent clip that would let me mount the radio in front of an air vent
* I could go also (see the red lines), move the radio into the cup-holder area, drill a hole in the center console - and push the wires up through to the center console. That would produce a nearly invisible installation.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-05-06 | 09:37 PM
schwimbo
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so very much. This is great.
Old 02-15-06 | 09:49 AM
SCVRX400h
Driver School Candidate

Default New satellite option

Check out this website!!

www.factoryinteractive.com

Very interesting option for satellite radio installation.