RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HELP! Interior Paint Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06 | 05:38 PM
summa
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP! Interior Paint Damage

Hello All. I just bought a 2006 RX 330. It has a Navigation system in the front dash, which is surrounded by a silver metallic control/vent area (it makes a U shape around the Nav. system).

My car had an awful smell (like an asphalt plant), so I placed a vent mounted air freshener on the passenger side vent. Unfortunately, the freshener leaked and ATE away the metallic paint on my vent area. Do not use these products.

Anyway, underneath what I thought was metal, is actually black plasitic which has been painted a matte silver metallic color. Apparantly interior paint colors are not coded. Therein lies my problem:

The dealer says that I would have to pull out my entire Navigation system to replace the small area below my vent where the paint is gone (Apparently the vent is part of a whole conglomerate of pieces and will cost $5000 to replace).

I live in a small town and nobody will do a small touch up job on the interior paint, because the color cannot be coded. One guy said that he would have to paint the entire casing so that it would match, which would require him to "open" the dash and remove the Nav. system and/or the plastic casing.

Both of these "solutions" seem so extreme (not to mention expensive). Is there anyway to determine what "color" is used on the interior of the lexus? Has anyone ever had to touch up the interior metallic paint? Has anyone ever had to replace a piece of this console?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-06 | 06:53 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Pulling it apart and replacing or repainting the entire piece is probably the only way to make it look like it never happened. But I agree that's pretty drastic.

I can't verify that is in fact painted plastic or not. Assuming it is, I'd try going to a good hobby shop and matching as best as possible a paint for plastic model cars. You might find a decent selection of colors there, and if the spot is small, you might be able to make it look pretty good. Of course, cover EVERYTHING that you don't want more paint on before you start!
Old 01-16-06 | 07:21 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

How big is the damaged area? I had something like this happen in one of my cars and "fixed" it by covering the damage with a nice "No Smoking" decal/sticker.
Old 01-16-06 | 08:32 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Go to your local hobby or toy store. You can find plastic paint (generally used on plastic models) and paint it yourself. Acrylic or polyurethane paint just might work as well.