RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wood replacement trim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 01:29 AM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood replacement trim?

Hi everybody!

One more time, I'm writing from cold and snowy Switzerland

I'm not quite sure if the US situation is the same, but Switzerland/Europe is selling the RX400h with an alu-like trim and not wood. The wood isn't even available as an option or so.

I'm now looking for real wood replacement panels. Don't care about the stick-on trim sets at all.

Do you guys and gals know, where I can buy an aftermarket full replacement set or are there even oem parts available? If so, do you have part numbers?

I was told that it would cost me approx 6000 CHF (4600 USD) to replace the alu trim with the factory wood. They told me it's necessary to replace the whole door panels (not just the alu trim)??

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-23-06, 12:45 AM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Sorry to give it a bump, but isn't there any answer?
Old 01-23-06, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a magazine called HyperRev from Japan that shows many replacement parts for the RX300/Highlander/RX330. This magazine is very extensive and if there were some replacement part for less money it probably would have been in there. I saw several designs of wood pieces. However, after closer observation what it appears is that Japanese owners simply bough the U.S. pieces (the expensive ones you are referring to) and simply replaced them. This is a big thing over there to convert Toyota-badged vehicles to Lexus (just like some of us do the reversed...Harrier...Windom).

I ended up putting the stick on wood kits you are referring to in my RX300. Some of the pieces were not precisely made or did not match the wood.

BTW, I enjoy Switzerland. I spent many a summer there in the 80s in a tiny town called Lenk studying German.
Old 01-24-06, 06:18 AM
krpster
Rookie

I am afraid you are out of luck with respect to aftermarket replacement parts. While the quote for OEM repalcements seems high it is a significant amount of work to replace all the alu parts for wood.

Firstly the wood strips on the door trim can be replaced independantly of the entire trim. Having said that, it is a huge amiunt of work to do. Basically after removing the trim from the door you have to completely disassemble the trim to get at the fasteners for the decorative strips. Probably why they quoted new panels.

The parts in the center console/shifter area are mostly stand alone pieces that could be replaced except for the one furthest to the back of the vehicle (behind the cup holder). It is integrated with the console. A custom interior shop could probably change the piece out for you but a dealer will not, they would just change the whole console.

Just one last thing of note is that the wood trim pieces are managed in complete sets (door strip set, center console set). To ensure perfect match if one from the set requires replacement they all get replaced.

My advice.....learn to love aluminum and save your money.
Old 01-30-06, 10:49 PM
swisslexusclub
Driver

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I really appreciate your help.

Well, seems like there's no way to have the trim replaced - w/out paying 6000 CHF. I guess I would spend about 2000 CHF (approx. 1500 USD) but not 3 times that value!

Has anybody good pix of the stick on trim? Any close-up view of the edges?

Again, thanks a lot!
Old 02-01-06, 07:07 PM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swisslexusclub
Thanks a lot for all the answers. I really appreciate your help.

Well, seems like there's no way to have the trim replaced - w/out paying 6000 CHF. I guess I would spend about 2000 CHF (approx. 1500 USD) but not 3 times that value!

Has anybody good pix of the stick on trim? Any close-up view of the edges?

Again, thanks a lot!

Went to the dealer today to ask about trim pieces. It would cost $800 for each door panel. The shifter bezel is $700, and the piece above the shifter bezel is $350!

- Tony
Old 02-02-06, 03:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

They really should use wood trim for the 400h, or at least make it an option.
I initially thought they use aluminium to save trees since it's a hybrid & they want a green image for the car, but they 're using wood trim in the GS450h . . .
Old 02-02-06, 10:27 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400h with wood trim!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
They really should use wood trim for the 400h, or at least make it an option.
I initially thought they use aluminium to save trees since it's a hybrid & they want a green image for the car, but they 're using wood trim in the GS450h . . .
the good news is that lexus has begun shipping the 400h's with wood trim, BUT only with ivory interior! they are available at the dealerships now. the option code is WU and appears to only be $300 more MSRP according to edmunds. for some reason it does not show on lexus.com as an option , but they do exist and are being sold now. (my friend just purchased his 400h w/ neptune/gray int, but they had neptune/ivory and white/ivory, both with wood)

i think that is a great value given the enhanced look. i knew it would come sooner or later, although it is a shame they haven't rolled it out to the black and gray interiors. i suppose it is only a matter of time now...
Old 02-06-06, 05:09 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My RX400h has the wood trim. It shows up on the window sticker as "wood trim steering wheel" for $350 but it is the full package and appears to be the same as on the RX330. I do have the Ivory interior, so am not sure about availability with other colors.
Steve
Old 02-08-06, 04:45 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wood is good and I want it in my cars!