RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Questions / Speculation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-06 | 10:23 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Default Yet more RX350 Questions

Hi all! First post. I was very close to trading my wife's 05 RX330 in for the 400h as I wanted her to have the Nav and backup camera and I need more power (ok, yeah all of those things are for me ) but we drove the hybrid and it just didn't feel as easy to drive for my wife as her current 330. We've decided to wait for the RX350 and understand we are looking at late March/early April for availability.

Does anyone have any info regarding the 350. Lexus is obviously tight-lipped so they don't cannibalize their 330 sales but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

I saw all of the guesses about the engine and I'm fine waiting to see what happens there - we don't need that much more power - the 330 is close just not quite there.

More interested in any:

Cosmetic Changes

Generation 5 Nav?

Change in stereo - i.e. sat availability or iPod hookups?

Push button start?

I have heard rumblings but nothing certain on any of these issues.

Anyone with knowledge throwing in would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jay
Old 01-22-06 | 10:38 AM
salimshah

Hello Jay:

I have seen CL moderators quickly move any speculations regarding upcoming models quickly out of the discussion. I personally agree with it as it makes this forum more "reliable" and "accurate".

Generally a few months before the release, the dealerships start getting a preview/training/update on the upcomong models. So we will have to wait for that moment.

330 -> 350 change will be almost like 300 -> 330 change in terms of power differene at the crank shaft. Usually there is other things that add weight. The reduction in weight usually comes at more cost [unlikely, though possible].

The other things that might make a diffrence in terms of power is the torque due to a change in transmission (if planned). The 400h should have given you the most boost in that respect already, but it did not register well with you.

You can almost bet on the convinience upgrades like the key less start [again most likely but not gauranteed].

Salim
Old 01-22-06 | 03:29 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Thanks! Don't mean to get moved on my first post. I had read a few threads about the 350 and it all looked like speculation. Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to keep checking back until someone gets something solid.

Thanks for the reply!

Jay
Old 01-22-06 | 03:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Thanks! Don't mean to get moved on my first post. I had read a few threads about the 350 and it all looked like speculation. Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to keep checking back until someone gets something solid.

Thanks for the reply!

Jay
Yes, I've been part of many of those speculation posts about the RX350. In a way though, they may indeed be speculation but I'd like to call it deductive reasoning Anyway, many of the engine specs for the camry 3.5V6 has already been finalized and released. Given past history on how the RX V6 uses the same Camry V6 engine we can get a really good idea on what to expect at least in the engine department and maybe even the tranny. So, at least in the power wise I think you will be more than satisfied given that the RX330 power is almost there as you put it. Other than that, I think everything else is still very much in the air.
Old 01-22-06 | 04:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You might get a good idea about the power with high-powered version of the new RAV4. I think the RX350 will probably weigh a little more though.

I applaud Lexus for finally coming out with something competitive in the horsepower department though it certainly took a long time.
Old 01-25-06 | 04:13 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default rumour

Talked to customer today who had their rx330 stolen and is waiting until next month since the lexus sales rep said the rx350 would be in Toronto dealerships as demo car for sales reps...

Rumoured more powerful than 330 and more fuel efficient than the 300
Old 01-25-06 | 05:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Hi all! First post. I was very close to trading my wife's 05 RX330 in for the 400h as I wanted her to have the Nav and backup camera and I need more power (ok, yeah all of those things are for me ) but we drove the hybrid and it just didn't feel as easy to drive for my wife as her current 330. We've decided to wait for the RX350 and understand we are looking at late March/early April for availability.

Does anyone have any info regarding the 350. Lexus is obviously tight-lipped so they don't cannibalize their 330 sales but I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

I saw all of the guesses about the engine and I'm fine waiting to see what happens there - we don't need that much more power - the 330 is close just not quite there.

More interested in any:

Cosmetic Changes

Generation 5 Nav?

Push button start?

I have heard rumblings but nothing certain on any of these issues.

Anyone with knowledge throwing in would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jay
COsmetic-Yes, there is always a slight change in the front and rear in the Lexus freshining. No pics yet.
Gen 5 NAV-More than likely
Change in Stereo-maybe
Push button start-no, that would require a design from the ground up. You will probably gain keyless entry though (like how the LS 430 in 04 got it but no push button start)
Old 01-25-06 | 09:26 PM
jcboiz
Rookie

Cosmetic Changes = highly doubt it
Generation 5 Nav = Confirmed
Stereo = Rumored to have iPod connection as well as mp3 player
Push Button start = have not heard anything about it.
HP = 3.5 liter 260~270 hp.

That is as much as I've heard when deciding between the 06 330 and the 350. I was scared to have a first generation car since this is the first engine on this RX there may be more prone to little problems here and there. So I decided to get the 330 instead of the 350. I recently sold my 03.5 G35 Coupe and although the engine has been around several years, there were still problems becuase of the new design.
Old 01-26-06 | 08:29 PM
lexusaht
Driver

Just got new car and driver in mail march 2006. Lexus has an ad for rx350. car looks like rx330.
Old 01-26-06 | 09:36 PM
her99rx300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusaht
Just got new car and driver in mail march 2006. Lexus has an ad for rx350. car looks like rx330.

Any interior shots? Did they change the ignition to a pushbutton starter like the IS 350?
Old 01-27-06 | 05:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

My RX 330 was one of the earliest models (May '03), and has experienced no real problems, although I had the transmission re-flashed to a new shift algorithm, as the original was a little rough shifting. I've experienced a power rear door failure (twice in three years), but cannot duplicate it, and now my HID headlights have started to leak. I don't believe I've had any real problems with either car - nothing that wasn't handled quickly under warranty by my dealer.

Are there disadvantages to being an "early adopter"? Despite the conventional wisdom that "you don't want to own serial number "1" of anything", the only downside I've seen is option packaging. Lexus has a habit of forcing certain options on you, and bundling certain packages.

Example: when I bought the 330, AWD was not available except in the Pacific Northwest and a few northern states. The nearest AWD was in Oregon. If you wanted Nav, you had to take the ML stereo, If you wanted the car at all, you had to take HIDs (good), rain-sensing wipers (good), and headlight washers (totally impractical). The large sunroof, although initially advertised nationwide was actually available in limited numbers, primarily in Northern California. The laser cruise that was advertised was not available in the US for several months - and then only a few ever appeared (liability issues?). If you wanted the performance package, you had to accept a specific package of options - which you may or may not want.

I expect that early 350's will be the same. There will be two options, essentially "loaded" or not (dealer's term). You may also have to wait for a car with the options, and particularly color you want to appear in the system, since initial deliveries will probably be slow. With the new Canadian plant now in full operation, this time deliveries may be a bit better.
Old 01-27-06 | 06:06 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Great info everybody! Thanks for posting.

Please share more details or sneak peeks if you find them!
Old 01-29-06 | 05:39 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Great post from another thread on the 350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...79#post1697179

Anyone able to translate?
Old 01-29-06 | 05:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcboiz
Cosmetic Changes = highly doubt it
Generation 5 Nav = Confirmed
Stereo = Rumored to have iPod connection as well as mp3 player
Push Button start = have not heard anything about it.
HP = 3.5 liter 260~270 hp.

That is as much as I've heard when deciding between the 06 330 and the 350. I was scared to have a first generation car since this is the first engine on this RX there may be more prone to little problems here and there. So I decided to get the 330 instead of the 350. I recently sold my 03.5 G35 Coupe and although the engine has been around several years, there were still problems becuase of the new design.
interesting decision, since GR engine series have proven reliable in plenty of other versions, I dont see why will it be different in RX350, with same engine and transmission. It is not as if whole car is new, it is not. It seems like someone didnt want to wait for new car :-).
Old 01-29-06 | 08:33 AM
ToyoLexus
Driver School Candidate

More interested in any:

Cosmetic Changes

Generation 5 Nav?

Push button start?

Jay, Lexus has nearly lost my Dad's business over the RX. He was ready to buy a new 2005 last summer but a dealer in Richmond called headquarters for him to find out if the 2006 (only a few months away, at the time) would have XM built-in.... they said it would be, so he waited until September for it to come out. Then they told him it wouldnt be until January, as XM radio would be late availability, so Dad waited a few more months since they said it would "definitely be available in Jan". December comes and they tell him it wont be until "early March" and will be a new model, the RX350. Long story short, sat. radio in early March, but by now we dont trust anything they've been promising.

Sorry if you're discouraged, but anyway XM is at least in the planning stage.

Quick Reply: RX350 Questions / Speculation (merged threads)