RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

continued "burn off" smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 05:31 AM
lexustooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default continued "burn off" smell

I bought my 2006 RX330 just after Xmas. I previously had the 300RX, didnt have a days problem, even after 80K miles. I love this one eve m ore. I do have one frustration tho, and the dealershipis not helping me. From day one, the burn off smell has been very pungent. I would have thought after a few hundred miles, this would go away completely. I have 1300 miles, to date. The smell, especially when idiling, in bumper 2 bumper traffic, and in my enclosed garage is borderline noxious.

I have had it checked out by Lexus 3 times..They must think that i am a nut! Has anyone experienced this? Any recommendations? Brian
Old 01-26-06, 07:01 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to CL! Lots of RX owners here, some like you who've "upgraded" to the 330 from a well-loved 300. We hope you enjoy the forum, learn and share your experiences with us.

As to that "burn off smell", it's probably one of two things: either just the paint and preservatives burning off the engine and exhaust system, or the cat converters not fully scrubbing the exhaust stream - producing that H2S (rotten egg) smell, seasoned, as it were, with a soupcon of NO2. It is particularly bad in cold weather. If you particularly notice it in a closed garage, or in heavy traffic, that's probably the source, particularly if you notice it a minute or two after starting a cold engine, or during a prolonged idle.

Until the cats reach their operating temperature and light off, the fumes can be pretty acrid - and, yes, it seems to be more noticeable on my 330 than it was on my 300, now that you mention it. It probably has something to do with the emission controls getting more restrictive on the ULEV-rated engine. In time the effect should improve, but it never goes away completely.

Try to keep the windows up and the climate control on "recirculate" to exclude outside air. Keep your garage door open while the engine is running, and in traffic, hope for a good crosswind to carry the fumes away!

At this point, it doesn't seem like something to worry about, but it is worth keeping an eye (or nose) on.
Old 01-28-06, 02:38 PM
lexustooth
Driver School Candidate

thnks sooo much for the info. I had been a bit neurotic about the smell; its has been since day one, not gotten any worse, and my dealer has it on record . Once again, I love this vehicle. I love d the 300, but this one is awesome. I love the navigation system, altho distracting at times. Do you happen to have the nav sys, and if you do, what bluetooth cell phone do you have that is completely compatible with our vehicle?

I have been learning so much on this web site. Great chatting and exchanging info, Thanks for the reply, Brian B.
Old 01-30-06, 02:39 AM
06Harrier
Driver School Candidate

Default burnin'

got the new 06 harrier with 200 miles on it. and yeah its got the new engine/buring smell going on aswell. just figured it was the the enging getting settled in.
Old 01-31-06, 06:06 AM
lexustooth
Driver School Candidate

I do have to say that the smell is less frewquent, but when it hits, in stop and go traffic, it is pungent. I have 2K miles on my car; I brought it back to Lexus yesterday to have it checked out. Of course they have a prob duplicating the strong smell when they check it out. They say nothing is wrong with vehicle and eventually it will go away all together.

Let me know when you hit 1K if you still smell it; am curious. brian