RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help w/ TSB for A/C blower

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 06:09 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help w/ TSB for A/C blower

hello everyone

i am wondering if anyone knows how to get access to a certain TSB. i have an RX and SC that both experience chirping AC fans at low speeds. when the radio is on low volume or off and you are just cruisin along with low blower speed, the thing will start to chirp constantly like there are little birds behind the vents (and no, i'm not joking). i drove my mother home from LAX this morning and she was sleeping so the radio was off. i thought i was going to rip my hair out listening to that chirp for 2 hrs straight.

it is driving me crazy. i also experienced this before on my older 01 GS430. the new 06 GS so far is not doing it, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did eventually. unfortunately, it takes a little while for it to happen, but it happens without fail each and every time. "cannot duplicate" is always the response i get from the dealers - for both cars.

once you turn the blower higher than "low", the fan speed is fast enough to prevent the chirp noise. but i don't always want that much air. it's gotten to the point where i just crack the window for air because i can't take the noise anymore.

anyway, i googled this problem and came across a TSB on tundrasolutions.com and the TSB describes what i am hearing, but i cannot access it. can anyone help? TIA!

AC006-05 BLOWER MOTOR NOISE
9/16/2005 - 2004, 2005 Toyota Sequoia, Sienna, & Tundra D-Cab. Some customers may experience a squeal or chirp type noise emitted from the blower motor at various speeds. The blower motor has been modified to improve this condition. Please refer to the Repair Manual location outlined in this TSB.
Old 02-16-06, 07:08 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the bulletin...
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11...-05/index.html
All it says to do is replace the blower motor.
Old 02-16-06, 09:09 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to http://techinfo.toyota.com and subscribe for a day, month or year and see the complete TSB.
Old 02-17-06, 05:17 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Surprisingly, that is the complete TSB.
When they tell you to replace a part, they refer to the service manual for the details.

It looks like Alldata started posting complete TSB's in early 2005.
Old 02-17-06, 11:28 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

thank you both for your help. i will be bringing this to their attention in a week or two. my odo is at 48,xxx so i want to take care of anything else i can before my warranty is up. i am not sure if they will help me or not considering it's a tundra/sienna fix, but i am crossing my fingers...
Old 02-20-06, 02:21 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it just me, or do you all think there are too many little things going wrong w/ this $40K+ vehicle? my issues so far:

RX330
1) cd player changed out once.
2) coolant leaked twice.
3) headlights leaked 3 times.
4) rear spoiler replaced once, and will be replaced again as foam is protruding in between the spoiler & rear glass, again.
5) power rear door motor/computer replaced.
6) tranny shifting adjusted due to jerking.
7) clunking noise fixed when braking/letting off accellerator.
8) small snag on moonroof sunshade.

some things are minor, but most i would not expect on a car costing this much.

IS300
1) a/c went out twice.
2) cd player changed 3 times.

Prelude
1) cd player changed once.

i usually change cars every 3 years or so, which is coming up, and believe me, i am 99% sure on going back to honda
Old 05-20-06, 08:05 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey LexusLover. Did you ever get your a/c issue resolved? I have a 99 GS400, and I have the exact same problem. Mine sounds like crickets chirping. It's very faint, but still annoying. If I turn the fan up, the noise is muffled by the fan noise. I have been able to pinpoint that it's definitely the a/c and not the blower motor because the noise goes away when I turn the a/c button off (while leaving the fan on). And, I'm with you on the fan speed. I like keeping it on the lowest setting yet still blowing cold air. Please give us a status update.

e
Old 05-21-06, 07:54 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fan Motor- Thats Good

Was in last week & they checked it out & found the churping noise at low speed.
See I'm not crazy, they heard it too.
They had to order a new fan motor which will be installed next Weds.

Still under warranty so thats GOOD, while heading home from dealer a small rock hit windshield & small crack, thats BAD. Maybe should have lived with the noise.

Anyway, had it fixed as best as they could I guess but it has a 1 inch spider crack that shows up when the sun hits it just right, thats BAD. Only 4 months left on the lease so i guess that GOOD.
Old 05-21-06, 03:26 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey LexusLover. Did you ever get your a/c issue resolved? I have a 99 GS400, and I have the exact same problem. Mine sounds like crickets chirping. It's very faint, but still annoying. If I turn the fan up, the noise is muffled by the fan noise. I have been able to pinpoint that it's definitely the a/c and not the blower motor because the noise goes away when I turn the a/c button off (while leaving the fan on). And, I'm with you on the fan speed. I like keeping it on the lowest setting yet still blowing cold air. Please give us a status update.

e
hello, yes, it was fixed. i didn't know if my initial thread was still alive, but here is an update thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...93#post1909493

and yes, you are right. the noise exists at all levels of fan motor, but is only "audible" at the low speed b/c the fan is not spinning fast enough to muffle the chirp.
Old 05-21-06, 05:46 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
hello, yes, it was fixed. i didn't know if my initial thread was still alive, but here is an update thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...93#post1909493

and yes, you are right. the noise exists at all levels of fan motor, but is only "audible" at the low speed b/c the fan is not spinning fast enough to muffle the chirp.
Thanks, LexusLover. I hadn't seen that thread. I really don't think it's the blower motor, though. Here's the thing. When I hear the noise, I hit the a/c button off and the noise stops (even though the blower is still blowing air). The squeeking, chirping cricket noise is definitely tied to the a/c and not the blower motor. Did yours act like this, or did you always hear the noise, regardless of whether the a/c button was lit up?
Old 05-21-06, 06:22 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks, LexusLover. I hadn't seen that thread. I really don't think it's the blower motor, though. Here's the thing. When I hear the noise, I hit the a/c button off and the noise stops (even though the blower is still blowing air). The squeeking, chirping cricket noise is definitely tied to the a/c and not the blower motor. Did yours act like this, or did you always hear the noise, regardless of whether the a/c button was lit up?
on mine the noise was there regardless of whether or not the A/C was on.

if you have noise w/ only A/C on, it might have something to do with the freon. i have been hearing hissing sounds from the SC's driver side vent that is only present when the A/C is on (kinda like if you tried to imitate the sound of wind blowing around). i mentioned it to the dealer last time at service and they reported back saying it is normal "freon expansion noises". i don't really buy that, so i'm bringing the SC to another dealer at 30k miles to have it looked at. the noises are very different though. the RX was a chirping bird, and the SC was a hissing snake.
Old 05-21-06, 06:24 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

btw, for what it's worth, you may as well have them replace the motor. i am thinking that maybe your bushings/bearings are behaving when the temp is normal, and not behaving when they get colder? that could be how mine started, but eventually (by 50k miles), they were misbehaving with A/C on and off.
Old 05-21-06, 06:25 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

I thought to check for a connection to the A/C. Mine makes the noise with or without A/C. I'm pretty sure it's the blower motor.
Old 05-21-06, 06:31 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
btw, for what it's worth, you may as well have them replace the motor. i am thinking that maybe your bushings/bearings are behaving when the temp is normal, and not behaving when they get colder? that could be how mine started, but eventually (by 50k miles), they were misbehaving with A/C on and off.
Well, I'm long out of warranty and it's not bothering me that much where I would want to spend any real money to fix it. Like I said, my sound only happens when the a/c button is on, and it's somewhat intermittant. As soon as I turn the a/c button off, the noise stops. The best way to describe it is the noise a computer makes when it's booting up, or the noise a CD/DVD player makes when it's searching for a track on the disc. Whenever I hear it, if I turn the a/c button off, it goes away immediately. When I hit the a/c button back on, it comes right back. I don't think the blower motor is that sensitive to temperature changes (or, if it is, it couldn't react that quickly).

I guess it could be freon expansion noises. My air blows ice cold (a little too cold actually), so I'm not concerned that there's anything wrong with the compressor. I'm thinking maybe something in there just needs a little TLC (like the drive belt or something). Does that sound about right?

e