RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First drive impressions of the RX350.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 11:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default First drive impressions of the RX350.....

We received three 2007 RX350's new in the wrapper. This morning I got to spend some time driving a variety of area roads. The first thing I noted is that Lexmex is going to love this car because the acceleration is very similar to the RX400h. This new engine has plenty of torque to get you on your way. It has a throaty exhaust note as the transmission reacts smoothly to requests for passing etc. The RX350 does not exhibit any torque steer effects under hard acceleration which is an improvement over the 400h. The second thing I noticed was the quiet. I turned the radio off and kept hearing this slight whine in the background. It was the fan for the climate control. When I turned that off there was vault like silence. It was very blustery today and while driving on the highway I barely could hear any windnoise or tire noise for that matter. This car would be easy to drive on a long highway trip with its low stress/low noise environment. Since it has the new Generation 5 Navigation I tried out a few voice commands. The reaction time was very quick and the accuracy rate was about 90%. I asked for "nearest Ice Cream Parlour" and then "Show List" and Hagen Dazz, Maggie Moos, Hersheys, 31 Flavors and more came up. I could not do any selections from the list as I had not done the Nav override sequence yet. I wear polarizing Maui Jim sunglasses and usually I can barely distinguish the Nav Screen details. Not anymore, the 30,000 color VGA screen is bright enough to see with your sunglasses on. When you put the RX350 in reverse it is like you took a picture with a good digital camera. The resolution is very fine.

Overall the extra 47 ponies make a big difference in the fun factor. As a matter of fact I could see someone overdriving the suspension with all of the power available if you're not careful. The new navigation and its improved Bluetooth features are like a mobile video game. The IS250/350's have been all the rage lately and I was considering one as they are so addictive to drive. The new RX350 will blow the doors off the IS250 so now I'm reconsidering...

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-24-06 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 12:24 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Rockville. How the transmission compared to the 330. Are the hesitation and jerkness gone?
Old 02-24-06, 12:34 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, that is great news!

i am really considering trading up from the 330, but i definitely want to try out the 350 in person. do you have any comments about the gear shifting and transmission? (i.e., smooth vs. jerky)
Old 02-24-06, 12:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
Thanks for the review Rockville. How the transmission compared to the 330. Are the hesitation and jerkness gone?
whoa! jinx!
Old 02-24-06, 02:16 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The tranny is like butter....

The mileage is the same or better too. I wasn't redlining every shift or anything as the car had 18 miles on it when I got it. It downshifted smoothly and it never felt like it was working hard either. This car is fast like a V8.

Rock
Old 02-24-06, 02:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, this is good news. I too will probably selling/trading in the wifes 04 RX330 at the end of this year to get either the new GS350, BMW E92 Coupe, maybe an IS350, and I guess now I can throw in the new RX350 as well. There are a lot of things you reported that is a big improvement over the RX330. The quietness of the RX350 that you reported is a pleasant surprise. I can hear wind noise since day 1. Have they tackled all the creeks and rattles that used to be heard on the RX330? Anyway, sounds like the RX350 addrressed most of what I wanted in the RX330. More power, and better fit and finish.
Old 02-25-06, 03:26 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Great teaser. Thanks Rock!

Did you notice any of the warping in the windshield like on the 400h? ( I guess I should ask if you ever noticed it on the 400 first ).

I like the sounds of the power and the new nav! Just what I was looking for to upgrade my wife's 330!

Thanks again Rock.

Jay
Old 02-25-06, 10:03 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default I didn't notice any warping....

of the windshield of the RX350. Where do you expect the warping effect is located on the 400h? I haven't had any windshield claims or trend of a problem with the Hybrid windshield. I delivered an RX400h yesterday and the windshield didn't distort the image so I'm not sure what you are describing. Is it a vision issue or an appearance issue? Can you pinpoint the location?

Thanks

Rock
Old 02-25-06, 11:46 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockville
of the windshield of the RX350. Where do you expect the warping effect is located on the 400h? I haven't had any windshield claims or trend of a problem with the Hybrid windshield. I delivered an RX400h yesterday and the windshield didn't distort the image so I'm not sure what you are describing. Is it a vision issue or an appearance issue? Can you pinpoint the location?

Thanks

Rock
Not sure if this link is ok, but these guys describe it a lot better than I can. If the link is removed (sorry in advance if it's inappropriate to link other boards) let me know and I can post some of the comments.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...&hl=windshield

Basically though, there is a curve to the windshield and the 400h supposedly has a different windshield than the 330's did (do) to improve the sound insulation. The different windshield has enhanced insulation and whatever else that creates the distortion. It sounds like they might be using the same one on the 350 for the sound insulation but I don't know that for a fact.

Anyway, the distortion apparently occurs due the curve in the window. A number of people have mentioned it. Most of the time it is up high on the windshield maybe a few inches below the color gradient. Not too noticeable if you don't sit high up. Others have mentioned the edges by the bend to make the windshield fit the corners. The 2 that I looked at had the bend about 4-5 inches below the gradient - right in my normal line of sight. If I adjust the seat lower I notice it when I look around.

Now, I do realize that this will not be a problem for most people, I just happen to be sensitive to it. The 400h really got me when I would be looking up at highway signs to pick an exit. It was almost like the difference between prescriptions when you wear bifocals (I guess - I don't wear them) but I imagine that would be a good description.

Again, not a big issue for most people but a number have mentioned it and I know it will bother me on long trips so we'll have to see.

If you could check it out Rock I would be grateful.

Thanks again!

Jay

Edit: Just to be clear, I noticed the distortion the first time I drove the 400h and found the linked thread after searching for it. So it was enough of a bother immediately for me not a case of the power of suggestion planting ideas in my head As I was re-reading that thread it got me to thinking how people might look to find it on their current 330's and 400's even if it hasn't been bothering them. My suggestion is don't do it. If it hasn't bothered you yet, don't look for it! Not following my own advice I did look at my wife's 2005 RX330 and she does not have the distortion.

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 02-25-06 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 03:00 PM
clexusking
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright Rock, sounds like we need to go for pink slips.....I'll see your 350 at the timing lights......Maybe I should wait until the 400h has more than 50 miles eh?? What's the break in period for racing?
Old 02-25-06, 03:17 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

u saud that the RX350 has a throaty exhaust note, is it like the one on the SC430 LOL just wondering
Old 02-26-06, 07:35 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey Chris,

Originally Posted by clexusking
Alright Rock, sounds like we need to go for pink slips.....I'll see your 350 at the timing lights......Maybe I should wait until the 400h has more than 50 miles eh?? What's the break in period for racing?
Ha Ha Ha...You'll still beat me but remember the 400h weighs about 300 lbs more so it has more intertia to get moving. Hybrids still rule. BTW, Do you notice the windshield distortion thing on the top of the windshield at all? Only the hybrid gets the VDIM and everybody knows how I feel about that....So when do you want to race? Next week? Ha Ha Ha......

Rock
Old 02-26-06, 07:43 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The SC430 has a baffle that opens...

Originally Posted by AJL0365
u saud that the RX350 has a throaty exhaust note, is it like the one on the SC430 LOL just wondering
in the large transverse muffler at higher RPM's and the exhaust note does change when that happens but otherwise is still very muted.

The exhaust note is different from the RX330 when accelerating is what I was trying to convey. It may be due to the variable exhaust timing of the 350's engine....This engine will revolutionize the ES350 too....Lotta fun if you get on it early.

Rock
Old 02-27-06, 10:43 AM
clexusking
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

No distortion. Funny thing though, when I rode in an '06 ZO6 I could feel my face distorting--think it's the same thing??
Old 02-27-06, 09:18 PM
her99rx300
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious if your RX 350's were made in Canada. Two of my local dealers out here in Nor CA have not gotten them yet. I hear they'll be made both in Japan and Canada. I guess the ones from Japan haven't made it out to CA yet.

Quick Reply: First drive impressions of the RX350.....