RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-23, 09:21 AM
Buzzltyr57
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We just picked up a 2007 RX350. Its in beautiful condition and seems to run really well. It has 215000 miles on it. I know Im rolling the dice a little but decided to take a chance. My wife was not really in favor of buying another car but when she saw and drove this one she had to have it. Pearl White, Gray and Black interior - replaced dash - otherwise very clean - leather in great shape.

Hoping for 100,000 more miles - I will maintain it faithfully - 4000 mile oil changes and bolting on anything it needs. We really love the car.

Bruce
Old 07-20-23, 09:22 AM
kwonmei
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello! Very glad to join the RX family. I just purchased a 2008 RX350 AWD Bamboo Pearl from a friend's family member with only 28.5K miles on it. Both interior and exterior are in decent shape and the car runs quite smooth. I have started doing some works including replacing all wipers, LED backup lights, fixing the hatch opener switch and replacing hatch support rods. I am planning to add the Grom VL2 to the factory system instead of installing a new head unit. My daughter loves the factory look with CD and cassette players. Will also have to repaint some of the plastic exterior trim pieces. I haven't had chance to jack up the car to check the engine oil cooler line, but the VVTI line is all metal which is great.

I do have couple of observations that I am not sure if they're normal:
1. The engine seems to be pretty loud from outside. When sitting in the car, I can hardly hear it but when standing outside next to the engine bay, it's quite loud. It does run smoothly and have no strange sound. Wondering if it's normal.
2. The backup camera gives very low image quality and unusable during the night. Is it normal? Is there a way to replace it with a better quality OEM camera from later model years?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
SJM (07-22-23)
Old 07-20-23, 10:01 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 791 Likes on 565 Posts

1. 2GR is a little loud/clattery especially when cold compared to the 3MZ in the RX330. It's normal and I saw it on new cars at the dealership with less than 100 miles on them. As long as it doesn't have the infamous VVT-i rattle at startup, I wouldn't be concerned.

2. It's normal, the factory backup camera kinda sucks. It seems to be a proprietary part and there is no other Lexus ones I could find on eBay that shared the same exact connector and bracket combination. You would have to come up with an aftermarket solution most likely.
SJM (07-31-23)
Old 07-20-23, 10:13 AM
kwonmei
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MattRX
1. 2GR is a little loud/clattery especially when cold compared to the 3MZ in the RX330. It's normal and I saw it on new cars at the dealership with less than 100 miles on them. As long as it doesn't have the infamous VVT-i rattle at startup, I wouldn't be concerned.

2. It's normal, the factory backup camera kinda sucks. It seems to be a proprietary part and there is no other Lexus ones I could find on eBay that shared the same exact connector and bracket combination. You would have to come up with an aftermarket solution most likely.
Thanks so much for the info. Grom VL2 does support video inputs. Maybe I will use it with an aftermarket camera.
SJM (07-31-23)
Old 07-21-23, 03:23 PM
Buzzltyr57
Driver School Candidate

Hi great news on acquiring the 2008 RX! The VVTI line being all metal is a plus for a car with so few miles. Most likely the oil cooler lines are replaced too but it's wise to look and make sure. Don't forget to check the cone filters behind the banjo bolts on the vvti lines there is a filter behind each one. About $11 at the dealer. It's a good precaution to check these periodically IMHO as oil pressure is the big driver of the Cam rattle on start up. Also I've read that even low budget oil filters can restrict oil flow enough to cause a problem. I expected to pay more for parts at the dealer but so far this has not been the case. Rear VVTI line = $34.00 - VVTI solenoid filters = $11.00 and oil filter is only $5.27. I did buy my oil cooler lines a little cheaper with aftermarket but that was before I new everything I know now. I'm going to stick to dealer parts as much as I can with my 215,000 mile engine and hope for the best. From everything I can ascertain the engine oil pressure is EXTREMELY important to protect at all costs. This is my first Lexus/Toyota product. I'm pretty happy so far and have a lot more to learn.

This forum should be helpful!!
SJM (07-31-23)
Old 07-27-23, 11:28 AM
kwonmei
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Buzzltyr57
Hi great news on acquiring the 2008 RX! The VVTI line being all metal is a plus for a car with so few miles. Most likely the oil cooler lines are replaced too but it's wise to look and make sure. Don't forget to check the cone filters behind the banjo bolts on the vvti lines there is a filter behind each one. About $11 at the dealer. It's a good precaution to check these periodically IMHO as oil pressure is the big driver of the Cam rattle on start up. Also I've read that even low budget oil filters can restrict oil flow enough to cause a problem. I expected to pay more for parts at the dealer but so far this has not been the case. Rear VVTI line = $34.00 - VVTI solenoid filters = $11.00 and oil filter is only $5.27. I did buy my oil cooler lines a little cheaper with aftermarket but that was before I new everything I know now. I'm going to stick to dealer parts as much as I can with my 215,000 mile engine and hope for the best. From everything I can ascertain the engine oil pressure is EXTREMELY important to protect at all costs. This is my first Lexus/Toyota product. I'm pretty happy so far and have a lot more to learn.

This forum should be helpful!!
I finally had chance to lift the car and checked the oil cooler line from below and unfortunately, it is the old part with rubber tubes. I ordered the part 04004-29131 from McGroge Toyota for $75 shipped and planning to replace it this week. I never heard of VVTI filters and will have to look them up. Amazon has the Dorman version of the filter for cheap -
Amazon Amazon
. Is this a easy job that I can just replace them myself? This site is such a great resource for Lexus owners!

Thanks so much.
The following 2 users liked this post by kwonmei:
Buzzltyr57 (07-28-23), SJM (07-31-23)
Old 07-28-23, 02:04 PM
Buzzltyr57
Driver School Candidate

It is an easy job. The banjo bolts are really tight. And there is a copper gasket/washer . I did not replace my gasket s but it probably is a good idea. The lower cooler lines are a bit fiddly but not bad. I put mine on ramps . There are videos online. I would recommend watching a few.
SJM (07-31-23)
Old 08-20-23, 07:51 PM
jonathanbonness
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brand new to the Lexus brand and a new to me 2004 RX330 in Black Forest Pearl (what ever type of color that is) It is more of a greenish blue type color. I believe the title said green, but the inspection station was confused as to what to call it.
It has high miles around 250K and a few fluid leaks I have to address. The cruise does not work (suspect clock spring) I did get it to turn on once when I turned steering wheel. The ride sensor for headlights is detached, and the mirrors do not tilt sideways.
Looking forward to the smooth ride and a punch list of small items for a fall/winter project. My other car was a volkswagen. I am beginning to move to the Lexus/Toyota brand.

SJM (08-23-23)
Old 09-18-23, 04:59 PM
Ezraldo
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Howdy!

Just bought an 08 RX350 in silver with black interior. It is amazing except for what I hope is a minor transmission issue. I also drive an 18 Jaguar xe-s. The Jag has awd but is not the most practical thing for Maine winters.
Maintenance has been solid on the RX. Interior is amazing and the heated seats are quicker and hotter than the Jag. The undercarriage is good with only some surface rust on the drivers pinch rail.
I get it now. I understand what all the hype is about.
Old 09-25-23, 06:48 AM
dbumgard
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2007 and 2007 Lexus RX350s did have transmission issues. I have a 2007 and had to get my transmission replaced. Fortunately it was under warranty. Otherwise, the car has been flawless for 16 years and running. Best of luck!
Ezraldo (10-15-23)
Old 09-25-23, 11:32 PM
Ezraldo
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Flushed the tranny, added some shudder guard and changed the filter. Cleaned the MAF cause why not. Drives like a champ now! So excited to have this amazing machine. Once I clean it up I will post pics.
Old 10-14-23, 11:37 PM
estoscustom
2nd gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Iam
The following 3 users liked this post by estoscustom:
Chapp (10-15-23), Ezraldo (10-15-23), Joyous56 (05-23-24)
Old 10-21-23, 12:59 PM
GrammasLexus
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just acquired a 2007 RX350, 191K miles from single owner with meticulous service records of what I could recover*. Thanks to ClubLexus for the tip to get the missing services records from the Lexus website !
Either this car eats brakes and pads or the service writers were a little too, ah, aggressive. Car has had a pervasive issue with the air conditioning not working properly, first reported at 20K and several times since. That should be fun. The infamous oil cooler hose was replaced at 60K and again at 180K. The tailgate struts were blown out but that was a quick fix. The windshield washer reservoir needs fixing or replacing. Dash has some cracks. Other than that seems like a nice car.
* Lexus dealer records full maintenance including 100K service, then local garage 160K-190K, so there is a gap 100K - 160K. Things like timing belt, spark plugs, coolant, trans fluid change are all unknowns.

Last edited by GrammasLexus; 10-21-23 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-22-23, 07:59 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GrammasLexus
* Lexus dealer records full maintenance including 100K service, then local garage 160K-190K, so there is a gap 100K - 160K. Things like timing belt, spark plugs, coolant, trans fluid change are all unknowns.
Depending on how mechanical you are, I'd tackle all of these one at a time (coolant and timing together), just so you know.
The spark plugs are a lengthy job so I'd research all of the things on the rear of the engine that can be replaced while you are back there.
Old 11-24-23, 10:56 AM
alleycatz
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello, new RX330 owner here

Hello, I'm happy to be here to learn about my Lexus. Last month, I received my Mom's 2006 RX330 with only 36,000 miles on it. She passed 7 years ago and told her husband to make sure I get her Lexus after he passes (I didn't know she told him that). He remarried and decided to give it to me now. It has been garage-kept the whole time. It's older than my daily driver and not as sporty, but I'm starting to fall in love with the Lexus now. It rides and handles so smoothly. Here's a pic of Lexi as she was offloaded from the transporter -- Missouri to Oregon.

2006 RX330 just offloaded from the transporter.
SJM (01-09-24)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE