RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Michelin or Bridgestone tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 12:33 PM
rgold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin or Bridgestone tires?

The original Goodyear tires lasted about 25K miles. I'm trying to decide between the Michelin MXV4 and the Bridgestone Alenza tires. Any advise?
Old 05-07-06, 03:33 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

The Michelins are nice tires, I replaced my factory goodyears with them and they are pretty nice.
That is my two cents worth.
Old 05-07-06, 06:14 AM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin # 1

Have over 40K with Michelin on my 330.

Best Regards................Bob
Old 05-07-06, 06:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out the tire ratings from actual users at Tirerack.com.
Old 05-07-06, 01:41 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkytop_bob
Have over 40K with Michelin on my 330.

Best Regards................Bob
i have over 50k on my original michelins as well. tread still looking good, no uneven wear.
Old 05-08-06, 07:36 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

My RX330 Thundercloud came with the Michelin MXV4's and while I don't have a lot of miles on them yet (11,700) they still look like fresh new tires. Doesn't appear to be any wear on them yet. Also the ride is very nice and no road noise from the tires. I like them!
Old 05-10-06, 04:29 PM
foxda
Driver School Candidate

I put over 50,000 miles on my original Michelin tires. I bought a set of Bridgestone Alenza tires from Tire Rack and now have over 1,000 miles on them. I think that they handle better both in dry weather (Michelins were to soft in cornering for my liking) and snow. I am very happy with the Bridgestone's and recommend them...
Old 05-12-06, 03:49 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rgold
The original Goodyear tires lasted about 25K miles. I'm trying to decide between the Michelin MXV4 and the Bridgestone Alenza tires. Any advise?
If I were you....I'll go for the Michelin. They last longer that Bridgestone. When I first bought my car it came with the Goodyear. I had the Dealer switch it to the Michelin at no cost.

Going on 20k miles....tires look spanky new!
Old 05-12-06, 04:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
If I were you....I'll go for the Michelin. They last longer that Bridgestone. When I first bought my car it came with the Goodyear. I had the Dealer switch it to the Michelin at no cost.

Going on 20k miles....tires look spanky new!
The government monitored tire testing disagrees with your opinion. The ETQG Treadwear rating is higher for the Alenza than the Michelin. Now if you meant that the Michelin last longer than the Goodyear I'd agree.
Old 05-13-06, 11:05 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The government monitored tire testing disagrees with your opinion. The ETQG Treadwear rating is higher for the Alenza than the Michelin. Now if you meant that the Michelin last longer than the Goodyear I'd agree.
Ooops...my bad...The Alenza is rated better than the Michelin. Treadwear wise WOW!!!
600 vs. 440! That's a big difference. But...Michelin vs. Goodyear. Michelin wins.
Old 05-31-06, 04:50 PM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

Default tires driving me crazy

just wanted to say that this was a great post in time for my needs ... i've been doing research for a little while now and its crazy.

So i have the stock michelin tires and at 26761 miles they are at "85% wear" which means this next tire rotation they're gone. Now for the 27k i've had them, they were pretty good. I consider myself a spirited driver and they worked well till about 1k ago when they started to squeel.

I looked at the Bridgestone and they seem good as well, but there are a few reviews on tirerack.com that say they're noisy. My personal choice is a quiet tire even if it means sacrificing shorter tread wear. I drive quite a bit and love the quiet of the car.

I think I'm going with Michelin unless watching this in the next few days changes my mind.

i'll end my useless rambling ...
Old 06-01-06, 05:08 AM
sweet
Driver School Candidate

May I suggest Yokohama Tires? Consumer reports rates them as a best buy and I have a set on my SUV and love them! I have put 20K on them and rotate every 5K and they look brand new! Quiet ride too!
Old 06-01-06, 10:38 AM
black330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i have over 50k on my original michelins as well. tread still looking good, no uneven wear.
That's very good to hear! I was initially hoping to get 40k out of them but I'll gladly take 50k if they last that long
Old 06-01-06, 11:05 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never had an RX, but I've had TONS of different name-brand tires on 30-35 vehicles over the past 30+ years. IME, Michelins are almost always a safe choice and will be relatively quiet and ride nicely. There may be instances where another tire is better for a given application, but generally speaking, you can't go wrong with Michelins and they are likely to be the best available choice from several different perspectives if you've put the right Michelin on the vehicle. Bridgestones are good tires too, generally speaking, but IME they tend to be a little bit more noisy and ride a little harsher than a directly-comparable Michelin for passenger cars and light trucks.
Old 06-01-06, 12:22 PM
sxn179
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sweet
May I suggest Yokohama Tires? Consumer reports rates them as a best buy and I have a set on my SUV and love them! I have put 20K on them and rotate every 5K and they look brand new! Quiet ride too!
which Yokohama's do you suggest for the RX?

Quick Reply: Michelin or Bridgestone tires?